New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 70-200 VR I vs VR II

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70-200 VR I vs VR II

Hi all,

I am seeing Nikon 70-200 VR I lenses in great condition for sale for $1000-1200 and I am really tempted to pick one up vs a used VR II for $1900.

What do you guys think about the performance and value of the VRI vs VR II?

I am doing some searching and have not been able to determine a good answer here.

Any other issues to watch out for?

Thanks!

Mike

Mar 01, 2015 at 02:35 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70-200 VR I vs VR II

If you have a DX camera then go for the VRI. If you have FX then go for the VRII since it's better for FX camera in the corners where the VRI is very weak and best for DX use.

Mar 01, 2015 at 02:40 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70-200 VR I vs VR II

Tamron lol. The VRI I is a very excellent lens still, if going Nikon brand I would not hesitate their great.

Mar 01, 2015 at 02:47 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70-200 VR I vs VR II

I am shooting the D750. You are saying the performance is much worse on the VR I? I will keep looking into this.

Mar 01, 2015 at 03:18 PM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70-200 VR I vs VR II

I've been using my VR1 for wedding,portrait work for years and I think it's a fantastic lens. That would be on the D700 and D3. I can honestly say I've NEVER looked at an image and thought " I wish the corners were sharper". And for portrait and general shooting who looks at the edges of the frame ? I would love it if someone owned both of these lenses and could do a simple side by side to show the actual difference. I'm going to guess that for practical purposes it's not nearly as obvious as some would suggest. The 70-200 is not a focal length that I use often for landscapes. If I did, that might change things.

Mar 01, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70-200 VR I vs VR II

When you post a question it is important to describe how you plan to use a tool. The biggest question: Will this be a work lens? What do you shoot? The 70-200 range is a very popular range for event work and so on. I have owned several 70-200 version 1 lenses. They all served me well. I also have owned (3) 70-200 II's This is an awesome lens if the focus breathing isn't a deal breaker. I finally moved to the 200f2VR because I tend to shoot @200 80% of the time and I wanted a true 200FL. It gets down to how much you plan to use the lens and what you value in that lens. The older 70-200 can be had for a good price if you buy from an honest seller who says the lens is a 9 or more. The VR I is solid but the VRII surprised me! To me it was worth the upgrade.

Mar 01, 2015 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.