FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

GRM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

Few things that annoy me in the buy and sell forum

1. Cameras that ONLY have 100 shutter actuations though they come with a full bucket of batteries.

2. "The item I'm selling is in MINT condition with ONLY a few scratches here and there". Honestly, most people have no idea what mint is. I can't even count how many times I purchased MINT items only to look like garbage, items that I would not rate a 7.

3. Items that sell for retail price only because they come with useless EXTRAS like cases, batteries, cords, straps. People throw everything in the sale just to get rid of the garbage. When I inquire for a price without the extras, I'm always told that everything has to be sold together. "Once I sell the camera, I have no use for any extras". Sure, like I have use for a pink camera case.

4. "This $3000 camera was purchased back in xxxxxxxx (at least 5-6 months back) and used only a couple of times inside for testing. My price is close to retail because it is in like new condition"
Seriously? Someone spends $3000 for a camera only to be used for a couple test shots?
Now, I understand there are people that can afford to spend $3000 on an item and keep it on a shelf unused for months, but those people, usually, don't try to sell at market value. If they did not care about $3k in the first place (and keep it on a shelf), they would probably not care if their item sold below the market value. I find it hard to believe those cameras have been unused for months.

5. "The price is net to me. I pay shipping."
To me, 'net' means whatever I have left after I pay shipping, paypal fees, insurance. If I sell something for $50 and end up paying $10 for shipping, net to be is only $40.

6. "Insurance extra, and paid by the buyer". As already mentioned in another thread, if a package is lost or damaged, the seller loses everything if the buyer decides to file a claim. Insurance is to cover the seller's rear in case something happened with the package.

7. "I accept paypal gift". Where I come from a gift is a gift, it doesn't cost money. Besides, Paypal is in business to make money not to support my hobby.

Feb 28, 2015 at 08:08 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

What's wrong with #1?

Many people buy cameras with extra batteries. Especially true for mirrorless cameras which runs through batteries due to their EVF. If these people then decide to sell the camera, why keep the batteries? Nothing, as far as I can see, inherently wrong with selling low (or high) shutter count cameras with extra batteries.

Feb 28, 2015 at 08:21 AM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

I find it hard to believe people buy a handful of batteries only to take 100 pictures. Some might believe it but I don't.

Feb 28, 2015 at 08:52 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

I would add another:

Zero post, zero feedback, zero profile, zero web presence NOOB with no identity info whatever- yeah, I know, we all had to start somewhere - who shows up and offers for sale as a first post a high dollar item, usually a BNIB camera body that allegedly is inside a brand new box that the Seller "doesn't want to open because that would mean it was used." And it is often, though not always, accompanied by a "net to me," PP gift, Buyer pays PP fees, blah blah.. (On occasion these folks who, when asked for further info, provide some examples of stellar photos on a website or elsewhere. Why keep competency a secret?)

Feb 28, 2015 at 09:29 AM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

Good point though I doubt people still fall for this trick nowadays.

Feb 28, 2015 at 01:39 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

I find it pretty easy to just pass up those ads. No one twisting my arm to buy especially over priced stuff. I will agree all are annoyances with the "net to me" the one I hate the worst. Just say your price and be done with it

Feb 28, 2015 at 08:29 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

Lolz. Seem like the OP wake up on the wrong size of the bed today eh?

Feb 28, 2015 at 09:02 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

anthonysemone wrote:
I would add another:

Zero post, zero feedback, zero profile, zero web presence NOOB with no identity info whatever- yeah, I know, we all had to start somewhere - who shows up and offers for sale as a first post a high dollar item, usually a BNIB camera body that allegedly is inside a brand new box that the Seller "doesn't want to open because that would mean it was used." And it is often, though not always, accompanied by a "net to me," PP gift, Buyer pays PP fees, blah blah.. (On occasion these folks who, when asked for
...Show more

I check the above that Anthony mentions......I also check his/her participation in other FM forums...if none and they are only on B/S..I move on.....

I also check their responses to B/S ads..(mainly FS ads) the reason...FM has 1 or more on B/S that purposely go out after well respected and vintage members( in this case military vets and published photographers) who post WTB ads that have had equipment sent to Canon/Nikon for cleaning/checks to insure that what they are selling is fully functional, no hidden problems prior to selling and add "refurbished" to their ad, as I did. And with documented Canon receipts to accompany eqpt or email if interested. They most often post a "what is/was wrong with this item to have it refurbished?" Trying to discredit the sellers eqpt.Then the poster proceeds to disrespect the seller, as a vet or published photographer, with off the wall illogic responses to follow ups by other posters questioning their disrespecting remarks to said seller.
A quick "report" to Fred has always worked well for me and for the few other members who had this happen. The posts are deleted but the culprit still can be identified. I make sure of that! Funny but they are still here and still doing the same thing.

Just my rant and I am not going to further my post replying...just search and you will see what I speak of.
Dan

Edited on Mar 01, 2015 at 02:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:19 AM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

Bubble wrote:
Lolz. Seem like the OP wake up on the wrong size of the bed today eh?

Nah, my bed has only one side.
It's just that I've been taken too many times even by members with really good feedback.

Here is a camera I purchased from a member with 120 positive feedbacks. Yes, 120. I was stupid enough not to ask for pictures.
The camera was described as 'completely mint, without any marks and signs'. And this is only one example. Lately, I've had more luck on fleabay.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:34 AM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

And here is another one, "as mint as you can get with a screen protector since day one"
He forgot to mention the big scratch under the screen protector.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:36 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

Must have happened on Day 0.

Mar 01, 2015 at 09:41 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

I usually don't get my shorts all into a knot about an ad and just look for another one that better fits my needs. Much more things in life to get all excited about...wording in a buy&sell ad is sure not one of them.

Mar 01, 2015 at 11:45 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

chez wrote:
I usually don't get my shorts all into a knot about an ad and just look for another one that better fits my needs. Much more things in life to get all excited about...wording in a buy&sell ad is sure not one of them.

+1000

Mar 01, 2015 at 11:51 AM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

chez wrote:

Well, even if you look at a different ad, you still end up reading the ad. It's not like 'the less, the better' so you don't get confused. To be honest I don't work hard for my money, but I still expect to get what I paid for. But, that's me.

Mar 01, 2015 at 12:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

Complaining about the B&S forum is a bigger annoyance than the forum.

EBH

Mar 01, 2015 at 12:35 PM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

EB-1 wrote:
Complaining about the B&S forum is a bigger annoyance than the forum.
EBH

Not worse than your reply.

Mar 01, 2015 at 12:40 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

ReneMurea wrote:
I find it hard to believe people buy a handful of batteries only to take 100 pictures. Some might believe it but I don't.

People don't buy extra batteries just to take 100 pictures. In fact, they probably didn't buy a camera just to take 100 pictures. Most likely they bought the camera and extra batteries with good intentions, then changed their mind. It's a free country. Some would take the attitude, "their loss, my gain."

If you don't believe "it", ask them their reason for selling. If you still don't believe their answer, don't buy. Or don't even ask in the first place; just move on.

Mar 01, 2015 at 01:28 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

No 9.

Sellers stating that the item is New In The Box, then the seller shows a picture of the item out of the box.

How can it be new if it is not in the box?

More to the point only an item being sold be a dealer can be new in the box? Once it is sold it is no longer new, it is used.

Mar 01, 2015 at 01:48 PM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

lara_ckl wrote:
People don't buy extra batteries just to take 100 pictures. In fact, they probably didn't buy a camera just to take 100 pictures. Most likely they bought the camera and extra batteries with good intentions, then changed their mind. It's a free country. Some would take the attitude, "their loss, my gain."

If you don't believe "it", ask them their reason for selling. If you still don't believe their answer, don't buy. Or don't even ask in the first place; just move on.

Whatever you say.
Sorry guys if I offended anyone but I've been burned so many times, I probably got paranoid.
I'm glad all transactions work for you.

Mar 01, 2015 at 01:56 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Annoyances in the B&S forum

I've had more luck on fleabay.

And eBay has a buyer protection plan for items that don't match the listing description. There is no such buyer protection here (although you may be able to get help from PayPal, as long you didn't use try to rip off PayPal by using the Gift option).

John

Mar 01, 2015 at 02:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.