Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

I just upgraded to a RRS 34L tripod last fall, but now find myself needing smaller for a trip to Machu Picchu. Because of the carry-on restrictions on the train and tripod/gear restrictions at Machu Picchu, i'm looking for a tripod that folds down smaller than the 34L. Preferably something under 20 inches (the TVC34L is over 24 inches).

I looked at the RRS option, but don't seem to impressed at the TQC 14 series 1, that has a centre column. the TVC-24 really seems expensive for the specs and isn't very big fully extended.

I looked at the Induro CT214 is reasonably priced, but i don't know much about Induro, but also appears to have a centre column.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on other options. Main considerations:
-under 20 inches
-hold 5DIII with grip with the following lenses: 24-70L II/70-200 f2.8LIS II/16-34L f4/TSE 24L II
-preferably okay with the RRS BH-55 ballhead
-low weight

Edited on Mar 15, 2015 at 07:40 PM · View previous versions

Feb 28, 2015 at 02:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

Have a look at the Feisol Traveler CT-3441s. I use it with a RRS BH-30 head. It's about 17" long when folded, with the hook removed (it screws off).

Feisol Traveler CT-3441s folded, with RRS BH-30

Feb 28, 2015 at 03:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

actually the TQC14 is on just about every trip with me that involve air travel. i am impressed with it. it functions better the i expected. i do own a TVC24 too. don't knock that center column. it is pretty darn useful and rigid.

Edited on Feb 28, 2015 at 06:51 PM · View previous versions

Feb 28, 2015 at 06:38 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

jcolwell wrote:
Have a look at the Feisol Traveler CT-3441s. I use it with a RRS BH-30 head. It's about 17" long when folded, with the hook removed (it screws off).

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know how Feisol compares with Gitzo and RRS I don't now much about Feisol.

How do you find the centre column?? I had read that its better to go without a centre column, both for less vibration, a well as being able to get lower to the ground.

Feb 28, 2015 at 06:43 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

sjms wrote:
actually the TQC14 is on just about every trip with me that involve air travel. i am impressed with it. it functions better the i expected. i do own a TVC24 too.

Isn't better to go with a tripod without a centre column Why did you chose to get both Looking at the specs, the TQC14 is less than an inch smaller when the tripod is fully folded.

Which heads are you using with these two? Is the BH-55 too big for these tripods

For the most part, i'd pretty much be taking the TVC34L on all trips. The Machu Picchu trip I'm planning, is where i'm kind of stuck trying to fit a tripod in a carry-on size bag and also trying get a more inconspicuous tripod.

I'm hesitant to spend so much on tripod i'm not going to be using as much, which is why i wanted to know about the Induro and want to find out more about the Feisol that has been suggested. Both are about 1/2 the price of the RRS - RRS is even more than double when you factor in that in the case of the Induro (available locally in Calgary), and I don't need to pay in US$.

I'm also not sure if i should get a smaller head, if i pick up a smaller tripod.

Feb 28, 2015 at 06:51 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

I was in the same situation with a 34L, needing a small travel tripod for occasional use, and decided to pick up a MeFOTO Roadtrip on the recommendation of a friend. For $150 with a decent ball head and A/S plate it's an amazing bargain (that's for the aluminum model - CF doubles the price for a 0.5lb weight reduction). I've been very impressed with it for lenses 200mm and under. It folds down very small (15.4" with head attached) and comes with a nice travel case.

Feb 28, 2015 at 07:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

khurram1 wrote:
Isn't better to go with a tripod without a centre column Why did you chose to get both Looking at the specs, the TQC14 is less than an inch smaller when the tripod is fully folded.

Which heads are you using with these two? Is the BH-55 too big for these tripods

For the most part, i'd pretty much be taking the TVC34L on all trips. The Machu Picchu trip I'm planning, is where i'm kind of stuck trying to fit a tripod in a carry-on size bag and also trying get a more inconspicuous tripod.

I'm hesitant to spend so much on
...Show more

the days of wobbly centerposts ended with RRS. they built them to be rigid and usable with proper thought. i have CPs on my 24 and 14. but you can remove the CP on both of them and have none at all if you wish. a 34 really is not an option for a long distance field trip
in leaving Japan back in dec 2013 i had to break down my TQC14 to be sub 17" and it took but a few moments much to the chagrin of the airport security squad. unscrewed the feet and pull out the CP. put the BH30 in my jacket pocket. rebuilt it at the gate. by the way it was inside my pack originally which was within travel spec. i have worked through quite a bit of BS in the travel world. you can remove the CP or leave it on. it is somes better to have and not need then need and not have.

and yes the BH55 kinda big for the TVC24 but in some situation do well but the BH40 does the job for most needs. forget the 55 on a TQC but a BH40 is a good overlap option.

TQC w/o CP.

Edited on Feb 28, 2015 at 09:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 28, 2015 at 08:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

I'd not put a big, clunky head like the BH-55 on a travel tripod. Use a lighter and smaller head and put the weight into better legs.

EBH

Feb 28, 2015 at 08:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

yes you are correct on a TQC14 no, on a TVC24 possibly though.

Feb 28, 2015 at 09:13 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

If you remover the centre post, do you need to get another base plate how far extended is the centre post usable with a 5DIII + 70-200f2.8L IS II

How good is the BH40 I've heard mixed reviews over the years about that head and was leaning toward a Markins or Arcatech if i end up getting another bullhead.

sjms wrote:
the days of wobbly centerposts ended with RRS. they built them to be rigid and usable with proper thought. i have CPs on my 24 and 14. but you can remove the CP on both of them and have none at all if you wish. a 34 really is not an option for a long distance field trip
in leaving Japan back in dec 2013 i had to break down my TQC14 to be sub 17" and it took but a few moments much to the chagrin of the airport security squad. unscrewed the feet and pull out the CP.
...Show more

Feb 28, 2015 at 09:47 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

sjms wrote:
yes you are correct on a TQC14 no, on a TVC24 possibly though.

How much more of an advantage is the TQC14 over the TVC24 for travel Weight and folded length seem so close.

Feb 28, 2015 at 09:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

total weight?
TQC14 legset- 2.7lbs w/CP
TVC24 legset- 3.2lbs w/o CP add TA-2-QC (~0.6lbs) total: ~3.8lbs

add the heads
BH30LR- 11.4oz cap: 15lbs
BH40LR- 15.7oz cap: 18lbs

images are with CPs and gitzo spike/feet installed

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:43 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

sjms wrote:
total weight?
TQC14 legset- 2.7lbs w/CP
TVC24 legset- 3.2lbs w/o CP add TA-2-QC (~0.6lbs) total: ~3.8lbs

add the heads
BH30LR- 11.4oz cap: 15lbs
BH40LR- 15.7oz cap: 18lbs

images are with CPs and gitzo spike/feet installed

wow - that looks like much more than a 1 inch difference between the TQC14 and TVC24!! thanks for posting the photos. I'm assuming the BH30LR is on the TQC14

Would that combo be alright with a gripped 5DIII and a 70-200 f2.8L I'm planning on picking up a 5Ds or 5DsR, before the trip and i just want to be sure that the smaller/lighter tripod will be stable enough - particularly if there is some wind.

Mar 01, 2015 at 01:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

Absolutely. I use it with a D810 with 70-200/2.8.

Mar 01, 2015 at 02:16 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

I replaced a Gitzo 1 series with the Sirui N-2204X for travel. Weighs 3.3 lbs, folds to 18.1", has super smooth leg locks, and is $435. Very happy with the performance. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994932-REG/sirui_bsrn2204x_n_2204x_carbon_tripod.html

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:00 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

sjms wrote:
Absolutely. I use it with a D810 with 70-200/2.8.

Thanks for the info! I think that I'll probably go with the TQC14 and BH40 option. It's a lot more than i had planned on spending, but i guess getting a second tripod/ballhead for travel will be a long-term investment. I won't be ordering until the 5Ds/5DsR are available, so i can order the L-bracket at the same time.

Meantime i'll research the Feisol option - i've read some pretty good reviews over the past few days. Although, judging by the specs, it seems closer in size to the TVC24 that the TQC14.

Have you had any issues with the BH40 bullhead I had read some negative reviews a few years ago about the BH40.

Mar 01, 2015 at 02:31 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

Mr Joe wrote:
I replaced a Gitzo 1 series with the Sirui N-2204X for travel. Weighs 3.3 lbs, folds to 18.1", has super smooth leg locks, and is $435. Very happy with the performance. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994932-REG/sirui_bsrn2204x_n_2204x_carbon_tripod.html

Thanks for the link, will check this out!

Mar 01, 2015 at 02:33 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

I think you're on the right track. If a travel tripod is seen as a long term investment, then I'd go with RRS. I use a TVC-24 as my travel tripod. But if the travel tripod is seen as a one-time or very little use tripod set-up, I'd consider the less expensive options.

You might not want to wait too long on ordering from RRS---or at least check on their current stock or wait-list.

ken

Mar 01, 2015 at 03:13 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

any top notch tripod is a long term investment, and will carry a very good resale price if you tire of it someday

contrast that with a modern DSLR body, and even lenses are starting to become something that get replaced more quickly these days

----------

re vibrations & stability of the center post, you will never, and do not need to, reduce vibration to zero - you just need to get it so low it will not affect IQ on whatever lens/body/exposure you are using - a CP always gives you added versatility, and I'm not one of the guys who relishes throwing them away and substituting a massive spider - I just drop it down and lock it for stability & raise it if I think I can get away with it and need extra ht.

----------

IIRC, there is a thread discussing the Markins vs. RRS BH-40 ballheads

Mar 01, 2015 at 04:19 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Travel tripod advice (updated with short-list for selecting)

kdphotography wrote:
I think you're on the right track. If a travel tripod is seen as a long term investment, then I'd go with RRS. I use a TVC-24 as my travel tripod. But if the travel tripod is seen as a one-time or very little use tripod set-up, I'd consider the less expensive options.

You might not want to wait too long on ordering from RRS---or at least check on their current stock or wait-list.

ken

How happy are you with the TVC-24 as a travel tripod I was leaning towards that until i saw the side by side comparison SJMS posted. The TVQ14 looks a lot smaller than the 1 inch diff that they have on the RRS site. The other advantage that TVQ14 looks to have over the TVC-24 is that the maximum height. Withe TVQ14, if the centre column is extended the maximum height is 59", while collapsed its 48". On the other hand, the maximum height of the TVC-24 is 49.2".

As SJMS has pointed out he has had no issues extending the centre column on the TVQ14 with his Nikon 810.

Right now, there is a 1 to 2 week back-order on the TVQ14 - which is much better than the 6 week delay when i got the 34L. I'm going to make sure i order at least 6-8 weeks before i have to leave (still sorting out travel dates), but i'm holding until i decide whether to get an L-Bracket for the 5Ds/5dsR without the grip, or with the grip. Currently, i've got the L-bracket with the grip for my 5DIII and while i prefer shooting with an L-Bracket, i'm trying to decide, if i want both bodies with the vertical grip or not.

Mar 01, 2015 at 04:58 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.