New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

chasphoto2015
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

Hello Members:
OK, I am new to forum and got back into hobby about 2 mos ago. I also attempted back in 2008 to take up hobby and bought a bunch of mint condition Canon stuff. I recently bought a 1 DS mark 2, 1 D Mark 3 and a 70 D body. I have a few Canon Mark 1 (4.1 pixels), a 1D mark 2 (.8.2) and two Canon 1 V (mint) film bodies. I been contemplating selling all of these later mentioned bodies. Is there any reason to keep any of the 4.1, 8.2 and film bodies ? Some Internet reviews mentioned the Mark 1 (4.1) has its own special image look and ultra fast focus, plus the fastest flash sync available. Do you think a time would ever arise to use a film camera again. I am a collector as of now but some day would love to actually take pictures and learn the ART !!! Thanks very much Charles

Feb 27, 2015 at 02:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

It's hard to say. I bought a 1Ds last year, "just because". I could never find the right moment to actually use it. For some reason, I reached for my 1DX, 1DIV, or 6D instead. Go figure. I sold it to a local photog early this year for the same price that I bought it. Now I have a new friend, which is of far more use to me than an old 1Ds.

IMO, the only circumstance that makes sense to keep the 1DII is if you plan to shoot sports. The 1DIII and 1DII with two or three lenses would be a great combination. Even though they use different batteries.

Feb 27, 2015 at 04:34 PM
howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

I'd say keep the IDs II and 70D and sell the rest. Sometime too much equipment can be a problem.

Oh, BTW, I think you will need a lens or two.

Best,

Feb 27, 2015 at 04:51 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

Probably not with the digital bodies unless you just like collecting. Film's a tough one; it's a subjective thing. However, if you need to ask the question, it may not be a good thing to return to. I do think there is a very tactile experience with shooting and developing film and it's somewhat lost in the digital world. It's sort of a different art form in itself. I might be interested in a 1V if you ever sell.

Feb 27, 2015 at 04:52 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

I guess it depends if you actually shoot or if you are just a collector and like to have one of everything. If you shoot, you would probably know what you want to keep after working with the bodies. I would keep the 1d3,1ds2 and 1d for the flash synch and a film body because every now and then I like shooting film. sell the rest and buy some good glass. or you could sell everything and start with what you actually want and will fit your needs the best.

Feb 27, 2015 at 05:07 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

chasphoto2015 wrote:
Hello Members:
OK, I am new to forum and got back into hobby about 2 mos ago. I also attempted back in 2008 to take up hobby and bought a bunch of mint condition Canon stuff. I recently bought a 1 DS mark 2, 1 D Mark 3 and a 70 D body. I have a few Canon Mark 1 (4.1 pixels), a 1D mark 2 (.8.2) and two Canon 1 V (mint) film bodies. I been contemplating selling all of these later mentioned bodies. Is there any reason to keep any of the 4.1, 8.2 and film bodies ?
...Show more

My copy of the BJP arrived today....and it devoted a lot of coverage to the resurgence of film usage. Not properly read it yet but there is a growing momentum amongst the more 'art' orientated users who want the process and the human input to be more obvious in their work.

Some other interesting stuff...seems Canon have a prototype 120 MB sensor tucked away...Canon claims it can resolve more detail than the human eye.

PS: I have a 1V HS...I would never part with it even though I use an EOS3 for 35mm work...the 1V is an iconic camera..pass it on to your kids....

Feb 28, 2015 at 07:29 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1V film, 1D mark 1 vs. 1 D Mark 3, 70D etc

keep the 70D if you intend to do any video work at all. 1DS2 and 70D all the way.

Mar 01, 2015 at 12:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.