FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Moth Flies Through Repro-Claron 55mm

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moth Flies Through Repro-Claron 55mm

I purchased this Schneider lens last December and only now has there been a subject of interest. After discovering my only source of these tiny flies I tried maximising the magnification on my Kiron 105mm with a +5 Marumi achromat on the front x1.5 TC behind it. The results were discouraging, possibly due to reflections and flare.

Today I tried with the Claron on 200mm of extension. The location of the flies, on the inside of a dark grey compost bin lid made the task difficult. I needed to position the flash off the camera, inside the upturned lid but without shading the flies from the sun, which I needed for framing and focus.

The field of view was 5mm wide and the working distance about 60mm. Mites in two of the images confirm the scale.

I varied the aperture and the shots were probably all at f11 but f16 is a possibility. I really wanted to try f22 but the flash was too weak. Noise was bad enough at ISO 800 without going to higher values. The camera was hand-held.

The first image is where I initially put an additional 10mm of extension on. Interesting possibilities for another day!

Some purple hue arose from severe noise reduction. The third image is about the correct colour.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moth Flies Through Repro-Claron 55mm

Good ones Harold but too much blurring (diffraction softening ?) for my taste
Brian V.

Feb 28, 2015 at 02:35 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moth Flies Through Repro-Claron 55mm

LordV wrote:
Good ones Harold but too much blurring (diffraction softening ?) for my taste
Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

A rework of two of them by a slightly different route and with no diffraction softening (micro contrast).

Both could use more DOF.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Feb 28, 2015 at 03:19 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.