New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Epson printers

shrimpone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson printers

Anybody know if the new Epson P600 with its new inks is a precurser for all the large format photo printers? Or is this just a new "thing" for lower level printers?
Thanks!

Feb 27, 2015 at 09:09 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson printers

the people who actually know are under NDA so no one is talking. That said, the rumor mill does seem to indicate that SureColor is the next thing from Epson and supposedly a 3880 replacement by summer-time or so. Not sure about large (24"+) though.

I just want less clogging and no black swapping.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:08 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson printers

from what I read on internet they are updating the entire line. The reviews I read on the 600 say it still does black swapping. ugh.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:37 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson printers

rsk7 wrote:
from what I read on internet they are updating the entire line. The reviews I read on the 600 say it still does black swapping. ugh.

Yep, eight channels and nine inks. something that has desparately needed changing for a long time.

Brian A

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:35 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson printers

I saw this last month, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/epson_sc-p600.html

Mar 05, 2015 at 11:53 PM
Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson printers

Considering that Epson is offering some fairly good rebates on select printers (3880 included), I suspect a change/update is in order.

Mar 06, 2015 at 12:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson printers

My subjective sense is that:

— this new printer design is probably slightly and measurably better in some ways.

— the differences between the output of the new printer and its predecessors are likely somewhere between academic and "only in careful testing" territory. (The Northlight review tends to support that idea.)

— Canon probably will eventually move the larger carriage printers in this direction, too, if for no other reason than that it doesn't make sense to have multiple kinds of printer/ink products in this space.

If I needed a larger format printer right now I would not worry about it, and I'd go ahead and get a current one. There is no question that the current large Canon printers produce excellent print quality. If I was thinking of a future printer purchase at some unspecified date I'd keep an eye on these developments.

Dan

Edited on Mar 07, 2015 at 12:19 PM · View previous versions

Mar 06, 2015 at 12:54 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Epson printers

I would expect nothing more than incremental and minor changes to Epson's pro wide format printers---the print quality really is that good---combined with better fine art media choices and profiles, it is highly doubtful that jaw-dropping improvement will be seen, imho. I would not place much weight on Epson offering rebates as it seems they have done that regularly for many years now.

Mar 07, 2015 at 11:07 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Epson printers

kdphotography wrote:
I would expect nothing more than incremental and minor changes to Epson's pro wide format printers---the print quality really is that good---combined with better fine art media choices and profiles, it is highly doubtful that jaw-dropping improvement will be seen, imho. I would not place much weight on Epson offering rebates as it seems they have done that regularly for many years now.

I agree. We saw some pretty significant improvements before the current generation of printers, especially regarding profiling issues and metamerism failure, but the quality level achieved by the current crop of printers is truly excellent.

This is not to say that there isn't room for incremental improvement, nor that the incremental improvements shouldn't make their way into actual products — just that I agree that any differences are going to be really, really tiny.

That said, I'd be really, really happy if I didn't have to do the dance to switch between photo and matte black inks on my 7900. I don't have to physically remove and replace them, but I sure wish that both could simply always be online.

Dan

Mar 07, 2015 at 12:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.