New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Canon finally has a super wide zoom out. The Canon 11-24 f4 L did start deliveries on Thursday February 26th. My local dealer that normally gets multiple copies of new products only got one copy of the new lens, and I was lucky enough to have been first on their pre-order list. So it seems like it is in short supply for now.

It will be tomorrow some time before I can evaluate it a bit, but a first impression is that it is big and heavy. The front hood is a bit over 4.25 inches in diameter. The weight reminds me of my 85mm f1.2 "Hand Grenade". The lens cap slips over the entire built in hood, and seems to stay on reasonably well, held on by push releases. Another thing to note is that the entire front bulbous element is mounted to an inner lens part, and that whole part slides forward and back within the outer built in hood as you zoom the lens. That sliding means that a small gap exists around it that it a potential moisture and dust entry point, but since the rear of the lens has a rubber sealing ring on the mount, perhaps the front gap is also sealed in some manner. The manual has a little paragraph that is a bit un clear: "Tight seal structure provides excellent dustproof and drip-proof performance. However, it is unable to provide complete protection from dust and moisture." There is a rear gelatin filter holder on the lens, but I am not sure I would ever use it.

I would look to others to post some results with the lens in this thread, and I will try to do the same when I get the chance. Even though the lens is only an f4, I hope to soon evaluate if the lens has any coma in the corners at wide open, which is important for anyone that wants to consider it for night photography of stars and the Milky Way.

Feb 27, 2015 at 04:08 AM
misterphil
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Congrats on the new lens!
Look forward to reading your findings.

Feb 27, 2015 at 05:55 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

I am officially jealous of you. Congrats on the lens! And looking forward to seeing some reviews/tests/samples

Feb 27, 2015 at 06:45 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Congrats! I plan to pick one up it is just a matter of when rather than if.

I am hoping Amazon shows in stock by next week, or B&H. I would buy from Adorama but they no longer allow me to hold for pickup at the UPS hub which I work right next to which is completely idiotic. You show your I.D. and sign for it anyway, I don't get it. That is a hassle for me since I work a normal job and UPS comes earlier. But yeah, they "block" the ability to do so...

I just want it by my trip mid-March though... so I hope to have by then!

Feb 27, 2015 at 07:31 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Congrats on the new lens. Looking forward to reading some impressions and seeing some sample shots!

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

B&H says order sent to warehouse but no shipping notice yet.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Roland W wrote:
Even though the lens is only an f4, I hope to soon evaluate if the lens has any coma in the corners at wide open, which is important for anyone that wants to consider it for night photography of stars and the Milky Way.

I look forward to your coma evaluation.
This is something I'd consider renting for meteor showers, but o/w probably not use enough to own.
11mm simply gives more opportunities to capture the radiant.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Roland W wrote:
Canon finally has a super wide zoom out. The Canon 11-24 f4 L did start deliveries on Thursday February 26th. My local dealer that normally gets multiple copies of new products only got one copy of the new lens, and I was lucky enough to have been first on their pre-order list. So it seems like it is in short supply for now.

It will be tomorrow some time before I can evaluate it a bit, but a first impression is that it is big and heavy. The front hood is a bit over 4.25 inches in diameter. The
...Show more

Hi Roland.
I was already expecting "big and heavy". My main interest is corner resolution wide open and at f/8-11. When you have some time, compare the lens with your TS-E 17mm and let us know.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:38 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Roland,

I'd be interested in hearing how the lens is with the 1DIV that's listed in your profile.

Mark

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Very exciting, Roland! Congrats! Looking forward to your thoughts and photos from the lens.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Just got my shipped email, should arrive Monday, I hope so, leaving Tuesday.

Feb 27, 2015 at 02:23 PM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

I am eager to start seeing the images from this lens! 11-24mm seems like an amazing range and could be exploited for some extraordinary compositions, but I would like to see just how usable 11mm might be. I do love 14mm, so wider is even better, right? Hopefully the early adopters will be up to the challenge of composing with so-wide a focal length.

My big question is: do I dare sell my TS-E 17mm in order to get this lens? Might the 11-24mm be more flexible/useful than the TS-E (because of the zoom)? Anyone else considering that move?

Feb 27, 2015 at 02:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

darbo wrote:
I am eager to start seeing the images from this lens! 11-24mm seems like an amazing range and could be exploited for some extraordinary compositions, but I would like to see just how usable 11mm might be. I do love 14mm, so wider is even better, right? Hopefully the early adopters will be up to the challenge of composing with so-wide a focal length.

My big question is: do I dare sell my TS-E 17mm in order to get this lens? Might the 11-24mm be more flexible/useful than the TS-E (because of the zoom)? Anyone else considering that move?

I will not sell the 17TSE soon. But I am hoping I can use a level camera, shoot wider and then crop for compostion to get the same shot as a 17TSE leveled and shifted to avoid leaning trees etc.

This stratagy will work a lot better with a 53mpix camera which will retain lots of resolution when cropped.

Another big question will be DOF. Just running the numbers I see I can shoot the 11-24 at a focus of between 10-12 feet and get DOF to infinity (see my post on this) but the question is that 53mp may demand a smaller CoC.

The other talk of diffraction above f5.6 and people start talking about focus stacking which is something I have tried and more or less rejected.

So tilt may still be a player in the 17mm range, on a 53mp camera. I don't use tilt now, but do use shift a lot.

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:14 PM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

ben egbert wrote:
I will not sell the 17TSE soon. But I am hoping I can use a level camera, shoot wider and then crop for compostion to get the same shot as a 17TSE leveled and shifted to avoid leaning trees etc.

This stratagy will work a lot better with a 53mpix camera which will retain lots of resolution when cropped.

Another big question will be DOF. Just running the numbers I see I can shoot the 11-24 at a focus of between 10-12 feet and get DOF to infinity (see my post on this) but the question is that 53mp may
...Show more

Excellent Ben. You are having the same thoughts I am having. I too only use the shift on my TS-E 17mm (well, I've done some tilting with it for fun, but don't consider it a must-have function) and likewise I am thinking in terms of a leveled 5DS R with an 11-24mm possibly producing a similar level of resolution as my 5D III with TS-E 17mm.

For me, the TS-E 17mm is my fall-back tilt-shift - I only use it when my architectural subject won't fit in the TS-E 24mm II's frame. As such, the TS-E 17mm is actually my least used lens, so I'm just wondering if I would find more usefulness in a 11-24mm zoom. The 11-14mm range is pretty exotic - which could be used for some very dynamic compositions with some subjects.

At any rate, I am very much looking forward to reading about your experiences with this exciting new lens.

Edited on Feb 27, 2015 at 03:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:25 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Just checked out a video on youtube on the 11-24L. Its in Japanese and mostly useless until the end when some sample photos are shown that look really impressive. The edge sharpness looks great.

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:27 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

joeisayo wrote:
Just checked out a video on youtube on the 11-24L. Its in Japanese and mostly useless until the end when some sample photos are shown that look really impressive. The edge sharpness looks great.

The unboxing video was very enjoyable and informative even though and I didn't understand a single word

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:39 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

joeisayo wrote:

Thanks for the link. Thats an impressive packaging job. And the sampel shots did look good in the corners and my dof expectations also look good.

Two advantages this has over the 17TSE is a built in hood, I miss flare spots sometimes with the 17TSE. The other at least for me is AF. Well zoom is another.

Looking at the MTF for this and my companion lens the 24-70 f2.8 Mk2, it appears the 24-70 might be a tad sharper at 24. Even so, I leave the 16-35 mounted when I need a shot in the overlap range. I may miss the overlap, but I expect this lens to be sharper than th 16-35.

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:53 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

joeisayo wrote:

Looks like an absolute marvel of engineering.

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:58 PM
pcho
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Congrats Roland, looking forward to see some samples. Pity about the price in Australia. I was notified about the $4,000 price and that really turned me off. Will have to stick with my 17mm TSE for the moment
Perry

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:58 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 11-24 f4 L Starts Delivery

Roger seems to think its a good performer

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/02/canon-11-24-f4-l-mtf-tests

Feb 27, 2015 at 04:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.