New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Contax G 90mm aperture ring alignment

bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax G 90mm aperture ring alignment

I received this lens a couple of days ago and just noticed that the aperture ring is mis-aligned with the vertical notch that is supposed to indicate its value. At its widest, the notch lines up with f/8 and at its narrowest, it goes well beyond the aperture scale. The aperture mechanism seems to work fine. I haven't been able to load the lens on to a body and test it out since I don't have the adapter yet. But the lens looks cosmetically in great shape otherwise. Is this apparent misalignment normal for these lenses?

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:37 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax G 90mm aperture ring alignment

That's just how these G lenses work. You need to mount them on an adapter/body to get an aligned aperture ring.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:43 AM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax G 90mm aperture ring alignment

Interesting. That's quite an odd behavior. How does mounting the lens on the adapter align the aperture ring?

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:47 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax G 90mm aperture ring alignment

Well, it has to do with the way you mount it and the way these lenses are constructed. When you mount the lens, you don't just grab the black base of the lens and twist. You need to hold the silver body just above the black base (I assume you got the silver version) and twist instead. This body is not connected directly to that thin aperture ring. So by mounting the lens, you pretty much re-align the lens.

Quick google shows this: http://www.mu-43.com/threads/2718/

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:59 AM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax G 90mm aperture ring alignment

Got it. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2015 at 01:34 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.