Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Cardinals in the snow (I know... old hat)

OBXGuide
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cardinals in the snow (I know... old hat)

Once again, thank you to all for your comments. It shows you're looking and thinking how these could be improved, and your thoughts are appreciated.

These were initially nothing more than a quick test of a lens I had just picked up, and I wanted to see if it was sharp enough to keep. I figured if they were okay I might use one for a Christmas card. Never even considered posting them at the time. One of them might see a Christmas card yet. Thanks for the ideas on improvement.

Fred

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Nancy Asquith
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cardinals in the snow (I know... old hat)

Beautiful. I love seeing cardinals in the snow! That's one bird I really miss having moved to California ten years ago.

The birds are so well photographed, with impressive detail, rich color, and lovely poses. But I must admit that I had the same reaction as Ted. If you want a Christmas card effect, then anything you can do to make the branches less interesting--such as reducing saturation, reducing contrast (possibly by making them much darker or lighter?), even reducing their thickness--would help. I do not believe a dark background would be better. However, you might try increasing the contrast of the background to make the falling snow more visible.

Nancy

Feb 27, 2015 at 02:32 AM
davidearls
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cardinals in the snow (I know... old hat)

Just to be contrary, let me say that including the sharpened details on the perches in 1 & 2 add to the quality of those shots (at least for me). They help place the birds in "real space" and I don't think they compete with the birds.

Feb 27, 2015 at 02:51 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cardinals in the snow (I know... old hat)

great shots, you had said in my waxwing image thread you don't get to see waxwings, we are even, i don't get to see cardinals so i'lll enjoy your images of them!

Feb 27, 2015 at 03:42 AM
OBXGuide
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cardinals in the snow (I know... old hat)

thank you Nancy, David and Brian. It's nice to get differing views. It helps me think more broadly about how I treat, edit and process my images. Your comments are much appreciated.
Fred

Feb 27, 2015 at 04:29 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.