Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Which version? Or suggest something...

Squirrely Eyed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which version? Or suggest something...

Taken at the Livestrong building in Austin. I made a couple versions and am looking for some feedback from our resident experts.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the processing/colors/etc. but am open to any thoughts or comments you may have to improve this image.

This is presented uncropped and I debate with myself whether to crop it and how.

Version 1:
My original edit. I like this because it preserves more detail in the darker tones, showing some of the purples around the genie lamp and more detail in the hair.

Version 2:
My second edit, playing more with the tone curve. I like this because it has a little more 'pop' and contrast.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which version? Or suggest something...

I prefer the first, but I am also thinking of a couple crops. The side windows make for a nice symmetry but I want to see what happens with a tight crop of just the art work. I don't need the tracks.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:26 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which version? Or suggest something...

The first has more pop. The second is richer and more subdued. Preference depends upon use, intent, or audience.

Feb 26, 2015 at 03:24 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which version? Or suggest something...

Thanks for the comments. I'll tinker around with some different crops.

I started this as the first shot in what I hope to grow into a series of urban art pictures from around town. I haven't yet developed a vision of how I ultimately want to present it. I thought this particular shot may be a fun one for the "Signs in your town" series on the City, Street, and Architecture forum.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which version? Or suggest something...

Just found this thread.
Each has something to recommend. Is it perception or is the mural more vibrant in processing in the second? Just to make life difficult, if the mural is processed differently in the second, I would keep it as is, but use the lighter tones in the rest of the building as appears in the first.
Either way, I like the image and I agree with Ben. The tracks dis-track.

Scott

Mar 01, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which version? Or suggest something...

Thanks for the comments Scott.

The difference between them is that in #2 I tweaked the tone curve in LR to try to add more contrast. Interesting thought about keeping the building bright while doing such.

I think I'll work on my cropping a bit first then revisit the color/contrast tuning.

Mar 02, 2015 at 01:16 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which version? Or suggest something...

I did some more tinkering based on the feedback here.

I put together a symmetric and asymmetric crop and adjusted the tone curves a bit to recover some of the detail in the darker tones. Just for fun I tried a B&W conversion for one of them.

I welcome any feedback on the crops, color adjustments, and B&W conversion. I sort of lean toward the asymmetric crop as my preferred.

3. Symmetric crop, color.

4. Asymmetric crop, B&W.

Mar 03, 2015 at 12:30 AM
dsauna

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which version? Or suggest something...

The asymmetrical is definitely the way to go with this image, I would keep it in color though, you have nice reflections going on the windows.

Mar 04, 2015 at 02:39 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which version? Or suggest something...

Fascinating mural and nice processing. My preference is to leave the railroad tracks in the landscape as they set the scene and allow the photographer to add their interpretation to the image, relating it to the surroundings. It becomes a richer and more meaningful experience for the viewer.

Mar 05, 2015 at 03:44 PM
ecaz

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which version? Or suggest something...

I would leave the tracks in, and I prefer the color to B+W

Mar 05, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which version? Or suggest something...

dsauna wrote:
The asymmetrical is definitely the way to go with this image, I would keep it in color though, you have nice reflections going on the windows.

Thanks for your comments. The more I look at the asymmetrical crop, the more I like it.

---------------------------------------------

eeneryma wrote:
Fascinating mural and nice processing. My preference is to leave the railroad tracks in the landscape as they set the scene and allow the photographer to add their interpretation to the image, relating it to the surroundings. It becomes a richer and more meaningful experience for the viewer.

Thanks for your comments. I continue to be a bit torn on the tracks.

---------------------------------------------

ecaz wrote:
I would leave the tracks in, and I prefer the color to B+W

Thanks for your comments. I think I like the color version more as well and am glad I tried it with B+W to compare the two.

Mar 05, 2015 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.