New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

Well....my observations and suggestion comes from shooting the 1D4 and 5D3 currently side by side.

My response was based on the OP needs for bird images...as I do some as well...and find that the 5D3 focus system is great....it doesn't come close to the 1D4 for shooting birds in flight.

I also shoot motorsports and various other venues....and again...I first bought the 5d3 to cover my night shooting events....and find that while it has a stop better ISO performance....it struggles at locking in the focus where the 1D4 don't struggle at all at.

Overall....they are both great bodies....just depends on what and how you shoot....

Based on the original post....my statement is in my experience.....proper.....IF...he can afford the 1Dx...get it.......but IF he would want to save some $$$'s....get the MKIV and use a 2X TC on his 500...and enjoy life!!

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

lowside67 wrote:
The 1D4 is a nice camera but the images that result are inferior to either the 5D3 or 1DX at even base ISO and that delta grows as the ISO increases.

Mark

The OP does not ask about the 5D3 and wants to shoot birds, not just large birds and not just small birds. And I did not find the 5D3 cropped images to be any better than either the 1D4 or the 7D. JMO

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

jcolwell wrote:
So, is this based on personal experience?

lowside67 wrote:
The first part of my post is simple math and requires no experience.

The second part is based solely on my observations from real world images posted on this forum and reviews from people far more knowledgeable than I.

A simple suggestion that the 1D4 is not the best choice for this situation doesn't necessitate a passive aggressive response questioning my credibility. The 1D4 is a great camera, but it has been superceded by newer technology that in some situations is superior. Just like the 1DX will someday be superceded by newer technology, and therefore become inferior to a new choice.

Cheers,
Mark

I'm just sayin that based on my personal experience with both a 1DX and 1DIV, much of what you say just ain't so. At least not as it affects practical photography.

Feb 28, 2015 at 02:00 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

Imagemaster....yes.. he didn't mention "looking at" the 5D3...due to he already has one!

But my comments were to evaluate his options

IF...he can afford the 1Dx...do so, and then get rid of the 5D3 and get the MK4...awesome setup!!

Feb 28, 2015 at 02:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

onesickpuppy wrote:
Imagemaster....yes.. he didn't mention "looking at" the 5D3...due to he already has one!

But my comments were to evaluate his options

IF...he can afford the 1Dx...do so, and then get rid of the 5D3 and get the MK4...awesome setup!!

But I didn't quote you and was not replying to your comments.

And if he could afford both a FF and a cropper, I would suggest the 1DX and 7D2.

Feb 28, 2015 at 02:48 PM
ccougar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

With the equipment you already have, I would give serious consideration to a 7D2. That body and your 100-400 II are a perfect match for bird/ wildlife photography.

Feb 28, 2015 at 05:32 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

ccougar wrote:
With the equipment you already have, I would give serious consideration to a 7D2. That body and your 100-400 II are a perfect match for bird/ wildlife photography.

I am looking at buying this very setup...

What size of images could comfortably be printed using this gear?

Guessing that a FF camera will allow a larger , sharp printed image , but since in past I have rarely printed my photos I ask you pro's who might be doing this.

Lucky

Feb 28, 2015 at 05:39 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

Well....I was using only a 8 meg pixel 1DMKIIn and doing 32x48 images...so with both of these
bodies having much more resolution/mega pixels.....you can do the same or bigger

Feb 28, 2015 at 06:10 PM
architect7
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

onesickpuppy wrote:
Well....I was using only a 8 meg pixel 1DMKIIn and doing 32x48 images...so with both of these
bodies having much more resolution/mega pixels.....you can do the same or bigger

Agreed, my avatar was shot with a very poor example 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L v1 and prehistoric 20D. 50% crop and then blown up to 30"x30" on my wall. Still looks incredible with tons of detail in the mane, etc.

Though I can't wait to print from my 7D2 that arrived today! This thing is COOL! I still can't believe Canon put what they did in this thing...

Mar 01, 2015 at 04:23 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

Dutch937 wrote:
I know this question has been brought up in the past, although i can't find exactly what i am looking for, so here is what i am asking the forum... Based on current market pricing - 1DX used for around $4200 and 1D mark iv used for around $2000, both under 80,000 actuations and both in 9+ used condition, if you were going to use primarily for bird photography, which would you choose??

In my case, 100-400 mk ii and 500 f4 V1 are the primary lenses + 1.4xiii

I have a 5Diii as my second (or first depending on usage)
...Show more

I'm just curious to know... do you think the image quality will be better with the 1DX over the 5Diii? I know that the body is more rugged, but is there better DR or something else? Its 18mp vs 22 for the 5D3. I was contemplating the same, but not so sure I'll end up with better IQ.

Mar 01, 2015 at 01:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

I think the 1DX will give you more "keepers" to choose from. I use a 1DX and 1DIV, not a 5DIII.

Mar 01, 2015 at 01:18 PM
Dutch937
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

So, went out and picked up a used 1d iv. This is the second time having this camera body...Previously, I did not have the AF system of the 5Diii to compare.
I tried the 1Div for a few days and as good as it is, the AF system does not compare to the 5Diii, at least in my opinion.
So, I bit the bullet, used a bit of tax refund, sold the 1Div and picked up a 1Dx today. I'm going to keep the 5Diii as a back up and a smaller body for travel when not taking the big lens. Maybe down the road, if all the dust settles with the 7Dii, I may switch out the 5Diii, as it would be nice to have the crop factor.
Thank you for all the opinions...It really helps. At the end of the day, I'm happy and that's all that really matters! lol

Sean

Mar 03, 2015 at 03:21 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Current pricing, 1DX or 1Div for bird photography

Dutch!

I will look forward to hearing your observations comparing the 5d3 to the 1dx

Can't decide on buying the 5d3 now or saving up for the 1dx (i can't manage both) but would love to try a ff body.

Lucky

Mar 03, 2015 at 04:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.