New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Long lens for wildlife

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Long lens for wildlife

Hello folks - I hope it's ok to post this here - I'm interested in your thoughts on lenses offering at least 500mm focal length for Canon. But not the big whites, which will never be on my radar. Do any of you use the Sigma, or Tammy, or any of the others with success and joy? I'm thinking about renting the new Tamron zoom that goes up to 600 for a Sandhills Crane shoot, but I'd really like to have a long lens in my arsenal again. I sold my 100-400 v.1

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Bodies are 5D3 and 1D4.

Thanks!
Sharon

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:41 AM
diverhank
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Long lens for wildlife

I'm using a Tamron 150-600mm now - sort of a graduation from the Canon 400mm f/5.6L, just for the extra reach. While I managed to get good shots out of the Tammy, I'm not completely happy with its IQ at the 600mm range that I usually shoot at. It's better than the 400mm f/5.6L images @ 400mm blown up to 600mm but not by much... Also, I find the VC (Tamron version of IS) is unusable for moving shots like BIF. The VC actually noticeably blurs the images, forcing me to turn it off.

For a long time while using the fixed prime I didn't think I needed the zoom but now I have it, I think it's great. I'm waiting for more reviews on the Sigma 150-600 mm sports. I've got a chance to handle one for a while from a BIF photog I ran into. It is much better built than the Tamron and is still totally hand-holdable (for me). What I really need is, hopefully, the better IQ.

Below is a BIF shot with the Tamron 150-600mm @ FL600mm; f/6.3; 1/2000; ISO 400, with the Canon 7D2. Not too bad after some sharpening - which I never had to do with the 400mm f/5.6L. The Tammy focuses very fast - just as fast as the Canon 400mm f/5.6L.

Flying Mallard by Tongho58, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 25, 2015 at 02:07 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Long lens for wildlife

Lots of people are happy with the Tamron 150-600. I prefer the Canon 100-400 II, even with a 1.4x TC.

You may want to wait for the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, but who knows when it will be out or how good it will be. The Sport version costs a lot more and is too heavy for a lot of people.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Long lens for wildlife

I've had pretty good success with the Tamron 150-600. It certainly compares well as far as IQ and AF speed with my old 10-400 version 1.

Here are some shots with it taken with my 7D:

Feb 25, 2015 at 01:03 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Long lens for wildlife

Thanks everyone - and nice examples!

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Long lens for wildlife

A perfect compliment to my Canon 500 II with either a 5DIII or one of my 7D IIs on it, is the new 100--400 with a 7D II. I think the 7D II / 100-400 II is a winner!

Feb 25, 2015 at 04:10 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Long lens for wildlife

Sharona, I have the 7DII and 100 400 II and love them, but my hubby is considering shooting some with me and since I already have a 5DIII, I'm seriously considering adding a 150 600 too for his use. I have almost pulled the trigger on the Tamron a couple of times but keep hoping the new Sigma Contemporary will come out so that I can see how they compare.

The Sigma Sport, is probably the better of the 2 if you aren't shooting in super cold (there is a thread on here where it stopped working in a cold environment after a length of time) and don't mind the weight. I've seen some great examples on here done by both the 150 600 offerings.

The weight on the Sigma Sport is what has held me back on it. My husband probably wouldn't mind it but I'd like to be able to use and enjoy whatever we add. If you can handle the weight with no problems then that would probably be my choice. If you haven't already checked it out, it's a full 2 pounds heavier than the Tamron. The Contemporary version, I think, will be a little lighter than the Tamron.

Sorry, not much help here, I can't make up my mind either. I am hating to grab something then wish I'd waited for the new one. I just don't want to get too far into the summer without something which is probably exactly where you're at too. .

Feb 25, 2015 at 05:14 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Long lens for wildlife

I've yet to see anything from the Sigma Sport that convinces me it's worth twice as much as the Tamron.

Kathy White wrote:
Sharona, I have the 7DII and 100 400 II and love them, but my hubby is considering shooting some with me and since I already have a 5DIII, I'm seriously considering adding a 150 600 too for his use. I have almost pulled the trigger on the Tamron a couple of times but keep hoping the new Sigma Contemporary will come out so that I can see how they compare.

The Sigma Sport, is probably the better of the 2 if you aren't shooting in super cold (there is a thread on here where it stopped working in a
...Show more

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.