New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

joneser

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

Last week I picked up my D810 and Nikon 24-70. I put way too much thought into the D750 vs D810 but in the end, I am thrilled with the decision. I was pretty much set to go with the Tamron 24-70 but at the last minute I went with the Nikon version. I don't love the size of this thing compared to my Canon 24-70ii but I am loving how quickly it focuses and so far I am very happy. I want to pull the trigger on the 70-200 now that all the dust has settled. I have been watching for a mint copy of the Nikon on the buy/sell forum but have missed out on a couple good ones. With the current rebates ending in a couple days, I need to move if I want to take advantage of them.

I have done a lot of reading and watching reviews on the tamron and the nikon. It seems like the Tamron is a very good lens and from everything I have read, its very close in image quality. Normally the price difference is about 1k. Right now the price difference is $700. For those that have experience with both lenses, any thoughts on what price you would put on the Nikon's advantage assuming it has one. If it was $200 different, I would assume it would be a no brainer for the Nikon but I am curious to hear your thoughts. I have no experience with the Nikon version but if the build quality is as good as the 24-70, and if it has similar focusing characteristics (speed, accuracy, noise) I would have to think it would be hard not to spend the extra money. I did get to look at and hold a canon copy of the Tamron at the local shop. It seemed like it had fairly good build quality but I definitely think my Nikon 24-70 is of nicer quality.

If the Tamron really is close to the Nikons equal, I could then apply that money to one of the sigma 35 or 50mm art lenses. Then I have to figure out if 35 or 50 is the better choice

Feb 25, 2015 at 01:13 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

The Nikon 70-200 VR II is a fantastic lens. Very similar to the Canon 70-200 2.8 II. It is a better lens overall than the Nikon 24-70 (I think that lens is ready for version II. )

I would definitely recommend it. I shoot wide open a lot at events at ISO 3200 to 6400, and the Canon and Nikon both excellent wide open. They also hold their resale value quite well, especially if you can buy them used at a good price. So the net cost of ownership is pretty low.

The ones that I s on saw on the Buy and Sell were a bit overpriced when I was looking. Especially now that the Yen is so weak compared to the dollar. It is at about 120 Yen to the dollar, where irit was at under 80 Yen to the dollar a little over 2 years ago. So the net cost of the 70-200 should be quite a bit lower than a couple of years ago.

I bought a refurbished copy of the Nikon 70-200 VR II from Roberts Photo on eBay last September I believe, for around $1,735 I think, just off the top of my head. It was absolutely perfect.

I have also seen it on sale from Camera Canada for around $1,850 shipped to the US months ago, before the Canadian dollar dropped even further. Watch eBay and check the Camera Canada web site for a sale.

Good luck!

Feb 25, 2015 at 09:17 PM
cobradriver619
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

I had both at one point. I tested out the Tamron against my 70-200mm VRII and found that the Nikon was sharper wide open and tracked my kids running around better, especially when running towards the camera. I ended up keeping the Nikon.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:25 PM
joneser

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

cobradriver619 wrote:
I had both at one point. I tested out the Tamron against my 70-200mm VRII and found that the Nikon was sharper wide open and tracked my kids running around better, especially when running towards the camera. I ended up keeping the Nikon.

Yeah, I think that is the way that I will go. Its not like I want to spend the extra $700 but in the end if I go to sell it, I will probably keep a higher percentage of the value and it sounds like its a little better at everything. I did also think about the f4 version but I have had a 70-200f2.8 for the last 6 years and I will probably miss the 2.8 so I might as well bite the bullet.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:31 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

If you are willing to pay the price then you are not going to better the VRII. I'd look at it from a cost per use basis, are you going to use the kens enough to make the extra worthwhile, if yes then it's a no-brainer, unless you also want to consider the VR1 which is much closer in price to the Tamron and the pros/cons are slightly different from the VRII.

Ii don't use the 70-200 range very often (usually either much wider or much longer or I have a couple of special lenses in the 55-58mm range) so sooner or later I plan on buying the Tamron, great warranty too.

Good comparison here (this is the VRI but optically pretty similar to the VRII I believe) :

Feb 26, 2015 at 04:35 AM
vkobayas

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

I had the Tamron first. It was a good lens but over time it started giving me problems. I ended up sending it back to Tamron four times to fix various problems. At that point I had enough and broke down and bought the Nikon. What I realized was that I should have gotten the Nikon from the start. The lens is sharper wide open and as everyone says tracks better and focuses faster. It feels more robust and for me it somewhat justifies the higher price. Learn from my lesson and go with the Nikon.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM
ShawnR

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 70-200 and NIkon 70-200vrII price comparison

You've put out $3k for a 36mp body - why would you sell yourself short and settle for "its very close in image quality"?
Go for the best resolution you can.

Feb 28, 2015 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.