New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

No Regrets
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

I was wondering if anyone here has used the Kirk BH-3 on a monopod and what your thoughts were in regards to how it worked out for you? Also, if you don't mind, which monopod you used with it.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me on this.
No Regrets

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

I'm not a fan of ball heads on monopods. Consider the RRS MH-01 or similar.

EBH

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:32 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

EB-1 wrote:
I'm not a fan of ball heads on monopods. Consider the RRS MH-01 or similar.

EBH

Hi,

I am also considering the MH-01 and MH-02 from RRS (as well as the Kirk MPA-2 tilt head), but at the same time I am intrigued by the possibility of the Kirk BH-3 as it has the adjustable ball friction and I would think it would be more versatile.

I know there are many who would swear "against" using a ball head on a monopod, but there are many who swear by it as well. I think as far as ball heads go, the BH-3 by Kirk might be a good choice for use on a monopod....hence I was wondering if anyone here has any experience using it in this manner?

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:43 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

We have a couple of the BH-3 and the friction adjustment is not particularly great. I wouldn't use it or most other ball heads on a monopod, with exception of a Q10i/Q20i with the BV module. The latter constrains the movement to one axis though I only use it on a tripod.

EBH

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

EB-1 wrote:
We have a couple of the BH-3 and the friction adjustment is not particularly great. I wouldn't use it or most other ball heads on a monopod, with exception of a Q10i/Q20i with the BV module. The latter constrains the movement to one axis though I only use it on a tripod.

EBH

Thank you EBH for your reply. That is interesting to know. I will do some research on the Markins as well.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:07 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

When I shot surfing, I just used a plain clamp (no head) and leaned and turned since movements were so limited. It depends on what you use your monopod for. I lost interest in sports but frequently shoot out windows, over fences and crowds and straight up at ceilings, so a ball head is much more useful than a tilt head. You can do vertical selfies too! If you're stuck with a tilt head you can sorta make up for it by adding a panning clamp to but it's just easier to start with a ball head.

Feb 25, 2015 at 01:54 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

Gochugogi wrote:
When I shot surfing, I just used a plain clamp (no head) and leaned and turned since movements were so limited. It depends on what you use your monopod for. I lost interest in sports but frequently shoot out windows, over fences and crowds and straight up at ceilings, so a ball head is much more useful than a tilt head. You can do vertical selfies too! If you're stuck with a tilt head you can sorta make up for it by adding a panning clamp to but it's just easier to start with a ball head.

Exactly. The versatility of shooting at various angles or even switching over to portrait mode and back, etc I would think would be so much easier and convenient with a ball head. I was thinking by keeping the ball somewhat fluid (use of friction) not fixed and by holding the camera as you would normally w/out a pod and let the pod support the weight only would give you the utmost flexibility.
May I ask which ball head you are using?
Thanks for your reply.

Feb 25, 2015 at 02:07 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

EB-1 wrote:
I'm not a fan of ball heads on monopods.

EBH

I am the opposite. I find a ballhead with friction adjustment almost the ultimate in control. Meaning, when tracking football the monopod provides a slightly sharper image while movement due to the ballhead allows the camera to track - best of both worlds IMO.

Feb 25, 2015 at 04:56 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

Paul Mo wrote:
I am the opposite. I find a ballhead with friction adjustment almost the ultimate in control. Meaning, when tracking football the monopod provides a slightly sharpere image while movement due to the ballhead allows the camera to track - best of both worlds IMO.

Thank you for your post. This confirms what I was hoping to be the case. Now I just need to find the right ball head to allow this to happen for me. Any suggestions?

Feb 25, 2015 at 05:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

I simply use a Manfrotto 496 ballhead modified with clamp/base and PU-50 plates. Similar to the hardware below. My monopod (Velbon UP-400) is a Frankenstein - cobbled together as needs have changed. I retro-fitted a Benro foot to it also.

http://www.manfrotto.com/496-compact-ball-head

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clamp-for-Quick-Release-Plate-Benro-Arca-Swiss-Letu-KS-0-KS-1-Compatible-QR-50-/281605036207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4190f7d8af

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PU-50-Quick-Release-Plate-For-Benro-Mefoto-Sirui-Tripod-Ballhead-fit-Arca-Swiss-/201104422488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed2c1f658

Feb 25, 2015 at 05:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

i think you will find in the end the simpler options will work the best.

with a monopod you have full rotational capability naturally w/o any special needs. no need for a panning base.

depending on the focal length and style of lens used to movement forward and aft takes care of pitch at a distance w/o any other special needs. closer you can use the MH-01 type mount and unlock the pitch knob

roll is dependent on your lens mount.
yaw, just lean right or left

a ball has no real advantage in this use in the end.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

I agree with sjms. I use the MH-01 Pro head, spendy however I had an earlier Kirk model that simply couldn't handle the weight. The RRS works great. A ball head all adds the extra weight I don't need.

Gerard

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:26 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

I think the whole issue is really more about what you are trying to shoot and what camera is on the pod. I can't imagine trying to wrestle with a ball head under my 300 2.8; I use the Kirk mono-head. However, I can certainly see the flexibility of a ballhead with a smaller lens, especially for run and gun situations outside the normal "sports" etc scenarios. Kinda like having an umbrella bracket on a small stand for a speedlight, even if you don't use the umbrella... it gives you options and flexibility.

Paul

Feb 25, 2015 at 04:15 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

I ended up spending ~$190 on a Sunwayfoto combination, specifically. Sunwayfoto DT-01 (http://amzn.com/B005S8OGZ4) together with DDH-03Ni (http://amzn.com/B00EJULUL0). It is similar to what is described here (but with DDH-03Ni instead of DDH-02): https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1134021/0&year=2012

It is very well built, and the panning on the monopod head has proved more useful to me than I'd thought. At the very least, it is the most convenient way to switch the direction of the head so that you can switch between the lens foot vs. the L-bracket on the camera body which you cannot do easily with MH-01 or other similar monopod heads.

Feb 25, 2015 at 04:24 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

Paulthelefty wrote:
I think the whole issue is really more about what you are trying to shoot and what camera is on the pod. I can't imagine trying to wrestle with a ball head under my 300 2.8; I use the Kirk mono-head. However, I can certainly see the flexibility of a ballhead with a smaller lens, especially for run and gun situations outside the normal "sports" etc scenarios. Kinda like having an umbrella bracket on a small stand for a speedlight, even if you don't use the umbrella... it gives you options and flexibility.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm planning on using my Nikon Df and my manual focus Zeiss 135 f/2 APO on the monopod. Situations may include low light shooting where I want to slow the shutter speed some and hopefully the monopod will resist any camera shake/motion blur. I also love walking trails alongs rivers and lakes with my Golden Retriever where the terrain is uneven or I'm out on rocks, etc and bringing a tripod is too heavy and cumbersome/time consuming to set up. Other scenarios will be in dimly lit jazz clubs photographing the musicians as they perform. Basically looking for some stability/support that is quick and easy and lighter than a tripod set up.

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

and thats what i use my mp for amongst other things.

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:21 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

cambyses wrote:
I ended up spending ~$190 on a Sunwayfoto combination, specifically. Sunwayfoto DT-01 (http://amzn.com/B005S8OGZ4) together with DDH-03Ni (http://amzn.com/B00EJULUL0). It is similar to what is described here (but with DDH-03Ni instead of DDH-02): https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1134021/0&year=2012

It is very well built, and the panning on the monopod head has proved more useful to me than I'd thought. At the very least, it is the most convenient way to switch the direction of the head so that you can switch between the lens foot vs. the L-bracket on the camera body which you cannot do easily with MH-01 or other similar monopod heads.

Thank you for your post cambyses and sharing your links. That is very interesting, especially the panning clamp. Thank you.

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

why would on put a panning clamp on a monopod that already rotates with ease on its own?

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:32 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

sjms wrote:
why would on put a panning clamp on a monopod that already rotates with ease on its own?

To quote Cambyses, ".....At the very least, it is the most convenient way to switch the direction of the head so that you can switch between the lens foot vs. the L-bracket on the camera body which you cannot do easily with MH-01 or other similar monopod heads."

Would it not also make it more convenient for when you'd like to switch from landscape to portrait mode?

This will be my first monopod and I really appreciate yours and everyone else's comments here. I'm not trying to say that one way is right and the other way is wrong. This thread has been good for me to learn what works well for everyone.

Best Wishes,
No Regrets

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:44 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kirk BH-3 on a Monopod

Another reason I am considering a ball head.....

There may be times when you need to lean to one side or the other....if even for just a few degrees, wouldn't your camera immediately become unlevel if using only a tilt head. By using a ball head you can then easily level your camera back up when in that type of position, hence giving you more flexibility. That is why I was asking about the friction adjustment of the BH-3.

Feb 25, 2015 at 07:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.