1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

bipock wrote:
As a side rant, while I was prepared for this, I'm kinda let down at the same time. Most everything that has been written about the 7D2 with regards to sealing has said it's one of Canon's best, if not the best. I'm a little shocked that a brief fall into water while attached to a lens would kill the camera. To me, I would interpret that as don't shoot in the rain either.

Bro... I don't get it. Why are you shocked? Canon didn't make the camera waterproof. WATER RESISTANT and DUST RESISTANT is different from WATER PROOF and DUST PROOF.

When they say it's waterproof they will tell you how deep ( in meters or in feet or whatever units you know ) it can go and how much time( sec, minutes and hours ) it can take it.

What canon is saying here is the seals are built to resist water and dust. They're not talking about the WHOLE Camera. And some parts of the Camera has no SEALS. that means you will still get dusts on the finder, mirror, your sensor etc...

So if you are shocked why you got water inside your 7d2 well the answer is the camera is not waterproof...pls do remember that your camera's largest opening without seal is the lens mount, some canon lenses have rubber seals built in like 24-70 L and yeah it will resist water and dust.... but it's not water proof.

Again the camera is not designed to be dropped on water... if they did ---they will tell how deep it can go. Even if you dropped a 1dX on water you will still get water inside. My piece of crap compact Fuji xp10, fuji claims and spec'ed as dustproof, freezeproof, shockproof, waterproof... camera did all that it received more abuse than normal... and it worked flawlessly ofcourse the images are crappy compared to 7d2.

Just get your accident warranty in place and received your brand new 7d2... let your submerged 7d2 slowly dry for months and hope it will work again.

here from CANON:

The EOS 7D Mark II is constructed of the highest quality materials, and to exacting standards that ensure unfettered performance at all times. For example, the shutter can shoot at speeds up to 1/8000 sec. for up to 200,000 cycles, the chassis is built of lightweight and rigid magnesium, and the camera's seals are built to resist water and dust. This combination makes the EOS 7D Mark II ready for almost anything.

Feb 28, 2015 at 09:11 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

Call Toshio at 732 238 8806 maybe he can work his magic on the 7DII & 600

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

Finally got the 7d2 back today after delays form the snow and being delivered to me at work on Friday after I left. My intent was to throw it in rice for a couple weeks, but curiousity got the better of me.

So I ran home at lunch, popped in a battery and ... FULLY FUNCTIONING!! Threw my 100-400 and took a couple shots, all looked good. Even stopped it way down to check how dirty the sensor is and it is clean as a whistle. Needs a little light cleaning and the wheel are a little "gritty" but I can live with that.

600 has been cleaned and check and should be on it's way to me tonight with NO damage.

Happy day for me!!

Mar 02, 2015 at 01:46 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

Congrats!!! That's awesome news. When I sent my old 500 to them, they said it was water damaged and did not even look at it!!!! It's one of their policies (at least in Canada).

The lens worked perfectly fine, I just wanted it cleaned.

I would still let it dry out in rice just to get any residual water out, but that's just me

Mar 02, 2015 at 01:50 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

Very good news ! Thanks for the update !

Mar 02, 2015 at 03:18 PM
vivisha
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

Glad to hear the good news. Maybe it's time to change the title of the thread to " 7dll was dropped in water and survived " 😀

Mar 02, 2015 at 03:38 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

Yay!! I'm happy for you! That's great!

Mar 02, 2015 at 03:42 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

vivisha wrote:
Glad to hear the good news. Maybe it's time to change the title of the thread to " 7dll was dropped in water and survived " 😀

Not quite yet. Hasn't been thoroughly tested.

Mar 02, 2015 at 03:46 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

I would probably still put it in some rice or silica gell for a while. Good news that it is functioning. About 10 years ago, our city had a major flood and most people had basements full of water including ours. so many people through out all the items in their basements, but I just cleaned my electrical tools etc up and dried them out. I don't think I lost one major item due to it being in water during the flood. Most were electric hand tools etc, but still amazing what will still work out if you dry it out well.

Mar 02, 2015 at 04:18 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

Hey bud, you generally have 30 days to add items to your insurance.

bipock wrote:
Well, I guess I was prepared for this, but still disappointing.

My 7d2/1.4x/600II took a very brief swim in a freshwater impoundment this weekend. Total time in the water was about 3 seconds. Lens went head first with camera attached. The body was about 50% submerged on the battery side.

I went ahead and sent it to CPS since no water came out of the body. Little moisture in the viewfinder and some moisture in the battery compartment, cards were clean and functioning, so I figured, while the chance was there, the likelihood was pretty low of water actually getting in the
...Show more

Mar 02, 2015 at 08:23 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · UPDATED: Bad news on the 7d2 front

I would put in rice without both batteries, front cap off for a week still and then start using it again. Corrosion could creep up later. Canon must have seen something inside if they opened it up and said it was not repairable.

Mar 02, 2015 at 08:50 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.