New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Some of you may have seen me mention getting a used 40D recently. Ive come to the conclusion that ive lost my passion for photography due to outgrowing my current body. However, after much thought, Ive decided that a 40D is more of a lateral move, than an upgrade, to my XS/1000D.

Heres where I seek the advice of the tribal elders.
Should I hold out for a 50D at a good price, or pull the trigger on a like new EOS M and efs adapter? How well do ef lenses perform on this adapter, does it affect IQ at all?

I have to be honest, having an actual viewfinder is 1 of 2 reasons I bought my dslr in the first place. Im not overly fond of "live view subject acquisition and focusing".

Are the t4i/650D innards in the EOS M an advantage over 50D and worth losing the viewfinder?
Side note...video is of absolutely no concern to me whatsoever.

"Like New" EOS M with efs adapter, about $280
Questionable quality 50D maybe $300 if i get lucky.

Feb 24, 2015 at 03:48 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

I keep my EOSM for video and as a higher quality quality point and shoot camera that is small enough to keep with me much of the time.

If you were happy with the size, speed of focusing, and handling of a point and shoot camera with no OVF or EVF, or an Iphone/Android phone for photos, but with higher image quality, the EOSM would make sense.

For regular/general photography, I would not consider the original EOSM as an upgrade to a 40D or 50D, except for possibly video or landscape.

I've seen some good deals on the 60D and 7D bodies new, used, and refurb if you can get to around $500. Or if cost is most important, the Rebels from T2I onward.

Steve

Feb 24, 2015 at 05:23 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

EOS-M and 50D, imho, are totally different animals. The EOS-M is good in any aspect except it's very slow - like 1 fps versus 5.5 fps for the 50D. I shoot a lot of action shots and I find the EOS-M totally unusable. YMMV.

Feb 24, 2015 at 05:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Buy a SL1: innards of the EOS M--movie servo, touch screen, 18MP--plus viewfinder, popup and Phase detection AF. Oh, and often $359 with kit lens refurbs at CanonDirect.

Feb 24, 2015 at 05:40 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Gochugogi wrote:
Buy a SL1: innards of the EOS M--movie servo, touch screen, 18MP--plus viewfinder, popup and Phase detection AF. Oh, and often $359 with kit lens refurbs at CanonDirect.

I agree with this recommendation. Later add the new EFS 24mm 2.8 pancake lens and your actually smaller in most ways to the EOSM with adaptor and lenses.

Steve

Feb 24, 2015 at 06:17 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

50D is tad bit noisy even on Canon standarts, either get something older or newer. But you probably wont squeeze 1D MK2N into your expenses.. :/

Feb 24, 2015 at 06:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

I have a V1 EOS M . its a great little camera when I want a 'little' camera . I don't have the adapter and so far have only the 18-55 (great little combo ) .
the problem I see with the adapter is with any sizeable lens on there its going to awkward to hold and probably would be better tripod mounted . but in that case I would rather use my 5D3

BUT . as far as a 50D goes I would pass .
Ive had 350D , 30D , 450D 40D , 50D 7D & 5D3 (as well as a couple of mk2n's ) and have to say the picks of that bunch were the 40D 450D (better sensor than the 40D but not as good a camera to use) , 7D and of course the 5D3 . by far the most disappointing was the 50D . I think i must have had it for 2 weeks in which time it proved itself to be nothing more than than a 40D with a bit more res but worse IQ . the MA was its only redeeming feature .
I would plump for one of the 18mp rebel bodies or a 7D . (I know that may be out of budget)

Feb 24, 2015 at 06:26 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

I agree with Ian about the 50D. It's the only EOS I owned that proved to be a huge disappointment. Man, it had some serious banding: clouds at ISO 400 were striped but not plaid. A year later my 7D felt noise-free in comparison!

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:03 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Thanks guys.

60D is out of reach for now. So my choices have been shifted to the sl1, t2i, t3i, maybe t5(non-i). Thanks to you guys.

Opinions on these? Trying to keep price 300 or below.

Edited on Feb 24, 2015 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:35 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Aaron D wrote:
Thanks guys.

60D is out of reach for now. So my choices have been shifted to the sl1, t2i, t3. Thanks to you guys.

Opinions on these? Trying to keep price 300 or below.

SL1, without question as mentioned above, if only for the touchscreen and most modern implementation of the 18MP sensor.

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:51 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

For me, a good set of ND filters and a wired remote could do more to reboot a photography slump than a newer camera pointed at the same old subjects.

I agree that an SL1 is a good camera - I have one with the 24mm pancake camera and the images are excellent. But a 40D and a decent prime could do the same.

Feb 24, 2015 at 09:18 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

The eps-m is a great camera for what its good at - fits in your pocket delivers better iq than 40d. I have one and for hiking, travel, street - its good. Hardly is noticed even though it delivers high quality. I took it with me atvin'g on the tundra in the high arctic for a week, and it was terrific.

However, its not great at action shots. Its slow. It focusses really slow with the adapter. I would not plan to use it a lot with adapted lens. In fact, I am not sure its worth buying the adapter.

Furthermore, if you like AEB (bracketing) you have to reset it every time the auto off goes off and the only remote shutter release is IR so you have to hold your hand in front of the camera.

In addition, because of battery implementation and constant use of live view, the battery life is not great. And the auto off implementation is not good.

But magic lantern works on it and it has very good iq for an apsc body.

For landscape on a tripod, it would be better than your 40d but otherwise not because of slow focus. And you would need/want the eosm22, eosm11-22, eosm18-70, and eosm250.

Only you can decide what your priorities are but if you want to shoot sport, or animals - not recommended.

Feb 24, 2015 at 09:58 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Aaron D currently has the XS/1000D and is considering purchasing a 40D or other body as an upgrade, with a budget of around $300.

I agree with others that if you can save a little more and catch an SL1 on sale, used, or refurb, you'll be a happy camper for quite a while.

Steve

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:50 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Thanks again. I can get a 40D locally for 200. Which is great, but so far im leaning towards an sl1. Unless...i can grab a t3i for dirt cheap. And im talking around the 225 mark, which is unlikely.

Really dont want a blasted touch screen tbh...but for the digic 5, id be willing to deal with the smaller size and touch screen. Im crossing my fingers to find a t4i around the same price as used sl1.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:59 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

I thought I hated touch screens until I tried a focus pull while shooting video. Much more precise than my attempt with the MF ring. The SL1 screen is more fingerprint resistant than older EOS so the act of fingering mah EOS doesn't bother me anymore. It also has a HDMI output so you can use a larger screen for video monitoring if needed. No fitted Arca plate available so you have to go generic.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Thats the thing though, I dont care about its video capabilities. :/

Gochugogi wrote:
I thought I hated touch screens until I tried a focus pull while shooting video. Much more precise than my attempt with the MF ring. The SL1 screen is more fingerprint resistant than older EOS so the act of fingering mah EOS doesn't bother me anymore. It also has a HDMI output so you can use a larger screen for video monitoring if needed. No fitted Arca plate available so you have to go generic.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Even if you hate video the touch screen is great for selecting AF points or triggering for macro LV. It's much faster than fingering the wheel and tab pads while on all fours or using a really tall tripod. The only bad thing is little kids immediately know how to operate your camera...

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

I like my EOS M a lot, with the 22mm prime it can get great shots, but I would be dissappointed if it were my only camera. Most of the time if portability isn't an issue I much prefer using a full fledged DSLR. Just a better tool for the job usually.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:37 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

Thank you all for your input.

Since I know Im going to have a hard time finding a t4i or 60D in the under $350 price range (shipping included), Ive decided to pull the trigger on a gently used LN SL1.

Its too bad Canon doesnt make a body like im looking for in this price bracket; no touch screen, no video, aps-c, digic 5, dual layer metering, larger body and second screen (like x0D series).

Guess I'm getting old, as this is proof that I no longer care about "latest and greatest", "bells and whistles" and such. Heck, I even bought an old selenium Gold Crest light meter the other day.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need some advice 50D vs EOS M

No worries, you can ignore the touch screen, video LV servo and the SL1 will work just like the EOS of olden days!

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.