New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mark Seliger Oscar Party portraits

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mark Seliger Oscar Party portraits

Love these shots from Seliger. In the video, you can see he's using continuous lights. Just love how soft those lights are. In the linked video, you can get a sense of his setup. Looks like a big continuous light with a softbox. Curious if he just used the one light or had a second light fill light to the side.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/02/mark-seliger-oscar-party-portraits-2015

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mark Seliger Oscar Party portraits

Looks like one 39" octabox to me.

Basing my judgement off the catchlight in their eyes, and considering the time limitations they were working under.

And a flag held by an assistant. Anyone know for sure?

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:10 PM
Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mark Seliger Oscar Party portraits

Looks like a big scrim with black reflectors to control the bounce.

MF camera.

https://instagram.com/p/zcKU_Mv9kd/embed/captioned/?v=4

https://instagram.com/p/zcKdUWv9ks/embed/captioned/?v=4]https://instagram.com/p/zcKdUWv9ks/embed/captioned/?v=4[/url]

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:30 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mark Seliger Oscar Party portraits

Oh, nice find, Littleguy! I see a transmitter on his camera now, so he's definitely using a strobe and a modelling light. Man, that light is so exquisitely soft. Surprising with how far away from the subject it is.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:47 AM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mark Seliger Oscar Party portraits

friscoron wrote:
Oh, nice find, Littleguy! I see a transmitter on his camera now, so he's definitely using a strobe and a modelling light. Man, that light is so exquisitely soft. Surprising with how far away from the subject it is.

Roger that. Looks like a Profoto transmitter. So probably a decent size pack behind that scrim. And agree that there appears to be some subtractive work being done by some black panels. The studio space is quite small, so without those black reflectors there would be too much bounce and not enough fall-off on the shadow side.

The scrim setup seems an odd choice. Let's assume that he could readily choose any modifier that he wanted, I would have thought that a large in-direct octa would be the weapon of choice. A direct source would require a decent amount of depth from back of strobe to front of modifier. A scrim works best when you have room to adjust the ratios of light to scrim to subject. So an in-direct octa drastically reduces the depth of the light setup and allows maximum size of modifier and maximum flexibility to adjust light to subject distance for best results and desired level of inverse-square law. Unless he was running the scrim in front of the octa for an added level of diffusion...

Thoughts?

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:24 PM
innovis
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mark Seliger Oscar Party portraits

Inga wrote:
Roger that. Looks like a Profoto transmitter. So probably a decent size pack behind that scrim. And agree that there appears to be some subtractive work being done by some black panels. The studio space is quite small, so without those black reflectors there would be too much bounce and not enough fall-off on the shadow side.

The scrim setup seems an odd choice. Let's assume that he could readily choose any modifier that he wanted, I would have thought that a large in-direct octa would be the weapon of choice. A direct source would require a decent amount of depth
...Show more

I was there. The scrim was for added diffusion. There is an additional fill outside of frame. He can't let you know everything haha.

Feb 27, 2015 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.