New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Steve Park
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Just sold a lens through EBay yesterday, clicked to print out shipping label with Insurance.

Then I noticed some EXTRA charge and tax which seemed to be associated with insurance. Also, the total postage cost seemed a little higher than it should be.

I found out the default insurance provider is NOT US Postal Service, rather a private company! This company must be associated with or subsidiary of EBay/PayPal, no doubt.

The cost difference isn't much(less than $2), but what happens when insurance claim need to be filed? Filing a USPS Insurance claim has become much easier and faster than years ago(but I haven't had any need to file one myself, though), but would you be comfortable working with EBay/PayPal instead?

Me? I don't think so. I would rather trust and work with US Postal Service no matter how slow the process is, than dealing with EBay/PayPal for any kind of claim or protection.

Beware, make sure you know who's providing the service when buying shipping insurance, but YMMV.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:48 AM
bobjames
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Shouldn't eBay/Paypal disclose this information before you buy the insurance?

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Thanks for the heads-up Steve. I'm with you and would much rather deal with USPS although I can't believe I just typed that. I guess the lesser of two evils.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

I had to file my first USPS insurance claim a few months back and it took only a week before they sent me a check for the full amount of the item lost.

I'm sure it was somewhere in the fine print that ebay snuck that new shipping insurance in. You know, the one where everyone hits agree without reading the entire thing (me included).

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

bobjames wrote:
Shouldn't eBay/Paypal disclose this information before you buy the insurance?

Yes, but it isn't very clear. I used to just click-click-click and done with it once I enter the specifics of package, but the screen looked a little different. There was "extra line charge" and "tax" line was added, almost have taken! It's the fine print thing.

Oh, the PayPal shipping service page was redesigned, totally different now. Take your time and read carefully.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Their insurance premium & tax surcharge was about $2(for $900 coverage) more than USPS charges.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Do you guys really have to print the shipping label through Ebay of Paypal?
Why not write your own label and choose the desired method of shipping and insurance when you get to the office? Maybe I miss something

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM
nikku
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Thanks for the heads up!

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:00 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

ReneMurea wrote:
Do you guys really have to print the shipping label through Ebay of Paypal?
Why not write your own label and choose the desired method of shipping and insurance when you get to the office? Maybe I miss something

Rene - Looks like you have never used this service or USPS Click-N-Ship account.
It's much easier than writing your own label. Also you get small discount off postage(3% or so), free tracking number. No need to wait in line at PO, just drop it off at PO, or give it to your mail carrier, unless you want a receipt. Never had problem there.

Best of all, with this service, I'll get accurate shipping address, won't make any error.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:04 PM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Steve Park wrote:
Rene - Looks like you have never used this service or USPS Click-N-Ship account.
It's much easier than writing your own label. Also you get small discount off postage(3% or so), free tracking number. No need to wait in line at PO, just drop it off at PO, or give it to your mail carrier, unless you want a receipt. Never had problem there.

Best of all, with this service, I'll get accurate shipping address, won't make any error.

The modest discount is nice but the big saving is being able to hand the package to the mail man and avoid a trip to the PO. Our regular carrier scans it the moment you hand it to him - at the PO I have to ask for a receipt to see it scanned - and on occasion have had to wait nervously for days before a packaged showed up in USPS tracking when they have declined my request for a receipt. Also when paid through paypal, printing the label through paypal gives one less opportunity for a denial of seller protection should the package fail to arrive.

BTW I have only noticed the insurance defaulting to "Ship Cover" for ebay sales, not all paypal sales which is curious as ebay owns pp (for the moment anyway) but maybe that too has changed.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

I should have made a screenshot of the PayPal shipping service!

The screen doesn't ask you to choose which insurance provider you want to use. It defaults this PRIVATE provider(PayPal/EBay subsidiary, I'm sure) unless you pick USPS from drop down menu.

I always go to PO and get receipt for higher amount or all EBay sales. PO always give me receipt when I stand in line and hand the package these days, I didn't have to ask for one.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:30 PM
photray
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Thanks for the heads up Steve, very helpful!

Feb 24, 2015 at 04:23 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Steve Park wrote:

The screen doesn't ask you to choose which insurance provider you want to use. It defaults this PRIVATE provider(PayPal/EBay subsidiary, I'm sure) unless you pick USPS from drop down menu.

I always go to PO and get receipt for higher amount or all EBay sales. PO always give me receipt when I stand in line and hand the package these days, I didn't have to ask for one.

I don't know about the USA, but eBay Canada's shipping charges seem to be significantly higher than what Canada Post charges for the identical service.

Feb 24, 2015 at 04:30 PM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Steve Park wrote:

Steve,
I think we are on the same page here - when shipping an ebay item from within ebay the default is "ShipCover" or whatever and no doubt ebay gets a bigger cut that way - plus it is done rather slyly.
What I find strange is that I don't recall being steered to "ShipCover" when shipping a parcel to an FM member who had paid by regular paypal. Odd considering I think that Paypal is still owned by ebay for now.
As for receipts at the PO, that has only occasionally been an issue when I was dropping off a parcel that was already paid for through paypal - never an problem if I paid for postage or extra insurance at the counter. In contrast at Fedex and UPS one is routinely offered a receipt when dropping off a prepaid package

Feb 24, 2015 at 04:58 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

PayPal/EBay shipping service charges the same discounted(3% or so off postage only, no discount for extra services like insurance or signature confirmation, but free tracking)rate for USPS Click-N-Ship account.

I rarely sell on EBay, this is my first time in about a year. No idea when they began offering "Ship Cover" as default insurance carrier through their shipping label service.

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:16 PM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Steve Park wrote:

It makes sense. I wasn't aware about the 3% discount.

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:54 AM
Willget

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Steve Park wrote:
Me? I don't think so. I would rather trust and work with US Postal Service no matter how slow the process is, than dealing with EBay/PayPal for any kind of claim or protection.

And many americans sellers on ebay don't understand that, and that's a real pity.
Nothing new here, many years that Ebay, Amazon, Google make shit movements to obtain more money.
Ebay use Pitney Bones, and extra charge with the global shipping program, this is just a fraud, this is nothing more than an organized robbery.
The funnier is that you can pay global who provide you to pay customs, but you still can pay customs also, with no refund possible.
Ebay is just a garbage now, but there is many items that we can't find anywhere else.
The problem are the sellers, they need to be informed, and the majority is not.

Feb 25, 2015 at 08:03 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

Willget wrote:
And many americans sellers on ebay don't understand that, and that's a real pity.
Nothing new here, many years that Ebay, Amazon, Google make shit movements to obtain more money.
Ebay use Pitney Bones, and extra charge with the global shipping program, this is just a fraud, this is nothing more than an organized robbery.
The funnier is that you can pay global who provide you to pay customs, but you still can pay customs also, with no refund possible.
Ebay is just a garbage now, but there is many items that we can't find anywhere else.
The problem are the sellers, they need to
...Show more

+1

I notice that most eBay sellers in the US participate in eBay's fraudulent "customs clearance" scheme, which is why I never buy from eBay sellers in the US any more. I wonder what will happen when someone finally launches a class-action lawsuit over this.

Feb 25, 2015 at 08:08 AM
2JZGE

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

I'll add that I agree, USPS insurance claimage is very easy and streamlined. Sold a Blackberry through eBay once that never made it out of the facility, I got my claim within a week.

Feb 25, 2015 at 09:11 AM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Seller Beware - PayPal shipping Insurance

molson wrote:
+1

I notice that most eBay sellers in the US participate in eBay's fraudulent "customs clearance" scheme, which is why I never buy from eBay sellers in the US any more. I wonder what will happen when someone finally launches a class-action lawsuit over this.

I think many US sellers are well aware that ebay's Global Shipping program is exorbitantly expensive for buyers but offer it instead of simply limiting sales to the US. After being defrauded by a Russian buyer a couple of years ago and on several occasions having to relist items after the top bidder declined to proceed because they had ignored the shipping cost or failed, as requested in the listing, to contact me first, I tend to have my listings default to Global Shipping. However if a buyer with good feedback contacts me prior to the end of the auction I am more than willing to work out an alternative. Unfortunately once the sale is made it seems impossible to unravel Global Shipping.

Here on FM I have made quite a number of overseas sales - to Australia, Brazil, Singapore and many others, in addition to Canada and much of Europe - I've even made occasional overseas sales from a local CL listings. The simple fact is that ebay's policies make it a PITA to sell abroad directly instead of through their Global Shipping program. But I don't want that, or one Russian petty crook, to make me a xenophobe.

I would encourage you to ask an ebay seller if they are willing to ship directly - and tell them how much ebay wants for Global Shipping - as far as I know that is not disclosed to the seller by ebay. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.