New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · question w/r/t D750 controls

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · question w/r/t D750 controls

this might not be d750 specific. i've never shot nikon before. checked the manual pretty thoroughly but didn't see a control for this. hoping i'm wrong. when i depress the ISO button in order to change the ISO, it causes the rear LCD to turn on and display that info screen. this is annoying when i have the camera to my eye. can the ISO be changed without activating the LCD?

while i'm at it, i don't think this is possible because i looked but figured i'd ask: is there a one-button way to toggle between single shot AF and servo? like on my 5d mark 3 i used to be able to assign the dof preview button to toggle between the two on the fly. is pressing the AF button and turning the control wheel the only way to do this? looking for a one button solution if it exists.

nice camera. really responsive, feels very confident.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · question w/r/t D750 controls

I don't have a D750 but I think I know a solution and a better way to change ISO all together.

In the custom settings menu you can change the red record button to change the ISO. Best part is you can change the ISO without ever taking your eye out of the viewfinder.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · question w/r/t D750 controls

Don't believe there is a one button way to toggle between AF-S and AF-C (might as well get used to the Nikon terminology, there is no "servo" mode ). But a work around might be to leave the control in AF-C and program the preview button to AF lock so when you hold down the button after focusing you get AF-S functionality. Yeah, not quite the same thing but it's a one button idea anyway. Older bodies had the focus modes on a dedicated switch, don't know exactly why they changed it, the switch was nice. Actually they changed it so that focus mode could be programmed as part of the saved settings in U1 or U2, still...

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · question w/r/t D750 controls

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Don't believe there is a one button way to toggle between AF-S and AF-C (might as well get used to the Nikon terminology, there is no "servo" mode ). But a work around might be to leave the control in AF-C and program the preview button to AF lock so when you hold down the button after focusing you get AF-S functionality. Yeah, not quite the same thing but it's a one button idea anyway. Older bodies had the focus modes on a dedicated switch, don't know exactly why they changed it, the switch was nice. Actually they
...Show more

hmm, i hear you on this. i'll give it a shot and see how i like it. i've got the button free. thanks for the idea.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:53 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · question w/r/t D750 controls

Nathan Padgett wrote:
I don't have a D750 but I think I know a solution and a better way to change ISO all together.

In the custom settings menu you can change the red record button to change the ISO. Best part is you can change the ISO without ever taking your eye out of the viewfinder.

i actually did this so i can change it at my eye, but even setting it up this way the LCD comes on. i googled around and think i may be out of luck.

i do wish the lcd on this thing was one of those where you can turn it around and lock it into the body so the screen doesn't even show. but hey you can't have it all.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:54 PM
plaiditude

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · question w/r/t D750 controls

If you switch the record button to ISO, is it still possible to start recording video? Just wondering if switching to movie mode reverts the button back.

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:09 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · question w/r/t D750 controls

^ ^ ^ The assignment to ISO only takes effect in stills mode. In movie mode the record button is the record button.

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:18 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · question w/r/t D750 controls

Yup, this is really a PITA especially when shooting in the dark ... Hopefully Nikon will fix this "feature" in a firmware update.

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:36 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · question w/r/t D750 controls

On the D4s and D810 you can set up to switch AF Area mode (not AF mode) on the fly using one button. However, there is an 'if' (potentially a big one): you need a lens with a focus button, typically a super-tele.

Edit: Just checked the manual again and it's only AF Area mode control you can set up this way (i.e. single point, dynamic 9-point etc. - and excluding 3D-tracking). Sorry for the misquote... it's pretty restrictive anyway but just a FYI.

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:50 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · question w/r/t D750 controls

When you have a Pro FX camera like the D700 or D810 you get a dedicated AF button. The benefit is you can leave it in AFC and get the best of both worlds. Nikon doesn't give you a dedicated button on their consumer grade camers. They do allow you to reprogram the back exposure lock button to be used for AF.

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:58 PM
bggary

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · question w/r/t D750 controls

You can use "Easy ISO" (custom menu D8, page 341) - in PSA-modes this allows you to change ISO with a command dial. IIRC, this does not light up the rear screen the way pressing the ISO button does.

Feb 24, 2015 at 03:24 PM
iamjoenish
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · question w/r/t D750 controls

plaiditude wrote:
If you switch the record button to ISO, is it still possible to start recording video? Just wondering if switching to movie mode reverts the button back.

It doesn't for mine.

Feb 24, 2015 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.