New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Zoom Lens AF Microadjustment Question

paylessjim

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zoom Lens AF Microadjustment Question

Certain newer bodies let you do MA on the wide angle (W) and telephoto (T) ends of a zoom lens. While doing MA on one end, say on W, does the current registered value on T have any impact on W's result? Or is it better to set the side you're not working on at zero while working on the other? (using DotTune). Please pardon my ignorance and/or lack of technical knowledge on how MA works.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zoom Lens AF Microadjustment Question

It's a good question. As long as you have the zoom at the other extreme end of the focal range then any AF tune value you have for the opposite end shouldn't affect the AF tuning. For example, after tuning the the wide-end and entering your final tune value, if you then zoom to the tele end the camera should ignore the the wide-end value and use the tele value exclusively. Additionally, any focal length in between the wide and tele ends will cause the camera to use an interpolated AF tune value between the two (both during tuning and in actual photographic use).

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:52 PM
paylessjim

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zoom Lens AF Microadjustment Question

Thank you, snapsy. DotTune is a great tool!!!! The calculator is handy, too, I was able to do MA on the field (OK, my backyard) for the long lenses without having to worry about the math. I had your site up on my iPhone.

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.