FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wedding photos at small apertures

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding photos at small apertures

I remember a thread a while back about ANTI narrow dof shooting...i tried to search, but couldn't find anything related really....my interest stems from a fellow shooter who is kinda starting out, and we were talking about narrow DOF, and he couldn't imagine ever shooting an image above like f/2....lol....i just remember a thread with some AMAZING shots that were at very small apertures, with tons of dof.....basically i was throwing out the concept of seeing all parts of the scene, and composing with DOF in mind, and not just obliterating every background with creamy, smooth bokeh lol...and also incorporating slower shutter speeds and using motion to tell the story, when you CAN'T raise your iso any higher......anyway, maybe someone knows the thread i'm talking about....or has examples of shooting this way....

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:07 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding photos at small apertures

I do remember Tony starting an f8 thread. I thought it was Tony anyway.

Maybe 3-4 years ago?
-Mark

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:17 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding photos at small apertures

I think it was called 'the f/8 challenge' or similar. I never understood the fascination with turning the couple's carefully chosen venue and location into mush and context-less shots.

If you want to see there is life beyond f/4, have a look at a lot of good fashion photography.

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:29 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding photos at small apertures

def do a search with "f/8" and I think you might find it, I just did a search with that and found TWO threads

I commonly shoot at smaller f stops when I have enough light to do so and of course when it is desirable.

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:49 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding photos at small apertures

found it via google....was originally trying within the site's search function.... https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1115553

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:20 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding photos at small apertures

You know, I did shoot an image or two at f/4 when shooting some up close centerpiece details... and I think one at f/22 for overall room details with a 14-24 on a tripod at ISO 50 and 20" exposure because people wouldn't leave the room and that was good enough... and maybe one at f/8 outside with pretty trees and stuff.

The rest of the day, f/2 is purty dang nice.

If I get some mountaintop weddings, I'll shoot at f/8 and f/11 more. Promise.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:03 PM
pmiller228
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding photos at small apertures

If I'm at an awesome venue I'll stop down when I can. If it's ugly I make sure the things that matter are sharp and the ugly is unrecognizable.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding photos at small apertures

Mark_L wrote:
If you want to see there is life beyond f/4, have a look at a lot of good fashion photography.

Or just a tiny glimpse, more or less anywhere, outside of the wedding bubble.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:15 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding photos at small apertures

TTLKurtis wrote:
one at f/22 for overall room details with a 14-24 on a tripod at ISO 50 and 20" exposure because people wouldn't leave the room

Never thought of handling it that way! Reminds me of those long-exposure New York photos where you made the people disappear.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:14 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding photos at small apertures

D. Diggler wrote:
Never thought of handling it that way! Reminds me of those long-exposure New York photos where you made the people disappear.

Exactly

I could go even longer with ND filters but not with 14-24 and 20" was good enough

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:07 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding photos at small apertures

TTLKurtis wrote:
Exactly

So many times I'm in the dining room waiting to get a shot with no one there and there's always the pesky server or two walking around. Never thought to try this!

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:36 AM
AlleninATL

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding photos at small apertures

TTLKurtis wrote:
The rest of the day, f/2 is purty dang nice.

OK, wait...if you shoot a group of people at f2, how do keep them ALL sharp? Maybe im an idiot and just dont know the answer to this. If so, I want to learn!

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:26 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding photos at small apertures

Wider focal, distance to subject to increase DOF, these things you know , though f2 is not really the aperture I would use !

AlleninATL wrote:
OK, wait...if you shoot a group of people at f2, how do keep them ALL sharp? Maybe im an idiot and just dont know the answer to this. If so, I want to learn!

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:36 PM
AlleninATL

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding photos at small apertures

jmraso wrote:
Wider focal, distance to subject to increase DOF, these things you know , though f2 is not really the aperture I would use !

Yeah, I do know that, but like you said f2 may not be practical. No way I would shoot that narrow on a group shot. What is the aversion to f8 and up? It boggles my mind. Sure, that creamy smooth bokeh is awesome in some images, but without stepping out of that box during a wedding, I feel you are losing a LOT of great images that you might have gotten had you come out of your comfort zone. Shooting a wedding isnt all about pointing a camera and pressing a button. Sometimes you need to think outside of the box. Key word here is THINK!

Dont get me wrong...I do love a shallow DOF, bit there is a time and place for it and other times you need to step lut of that box.

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:47 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding photos at small apertures

I've been thinking of shooting more f8 . I like to try to combine foreground and background elements and sometimes it's nice that both things are legible.

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:09 PM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wedding photos at small apertures

If you go to some great outdoor scene for portraits, you definitely want to stop down and keep out of high speed sync to get great pictures.

http://www.wenkanphoto.com/img/s7/v155/p829130120-5.jpg

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:13 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wedding photos at small apertures

^ Nice shot! I'm also in the camp of don't nuke all of your backgrounds for no reason. If it's ugly, sure, blur it out or *compose* to hide it, but not just because... that's how I feel anyway.

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:58 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wedding photos at small apertures

Errr... that image looks like a really poorly photoshopped composite image.

Mar 17, 2015 at 09:06 PM
NCBY

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wedding photos at small apertures

I think in most situations, we want to guide the viewer's eye and make people stand out.
There's a couple of ways to do that:
- shallow DOF
- thoughtful lighting
- great composition

It's not that the first option is best, it's just the only one you can achieve by simply spending money and turning a few dials. Which is what most of us are good at

Mar 18, 2015 at 02:42 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.