Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · More post production needed?

rustede30

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More post production needed?

Okay, so I switched to a Nikon from a Pentax k30. With the Pentax I would shoot at 1600 iso and get noise in my blacks and when in post sliding the noise reduction slider nothing really happened other than losing detail. With the d800 the preview on the back looks way more noisy than the samples I've seen and even 1600 was pretty noisy. I usually just leave the noise reduction alone as it never had any affect but i decided to give it a go. The images cleaned up perfectly without losing detail. Has anyone else experienced this?

Feb 23, 2015 at 06:10 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More post production needed?

Nope, haven't experienced it at all. The D800 rocks as far as DR goes, it has a whole lot more than a Pentak K30. So I would suggest you are doing something wrong. Perhaps you are underexposing too much?

Jim

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:19 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More post production needed?

Reset your picture controls to their default versions and do not raise sharpness in them. That has quite an influence on how well noise shows.

Other then that, expose for the shadows and in PP recover highlights. That seems to work best for my girlfriends D800 and she gets good results up to 3200 ISO

Feb 24, 2015 at 05:02 AM
rustede30

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More post production needed?

Once they're processed they are perfect. It's just that they don't look as clean on the back of the camera or when first imported to lr. I will reset the picture controls and see if that makes a difference.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM
rustede30

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More post production needed?

I did this test last night at 25600 which is admittedly way under exposed (i wanted the blacks blacker than they cane out with better exposure ) and this blows the Pentax away. It's not that it's even that bad on the preview, i was just kinda shocked that the was that much noise showing up at all at 1600 iso.

Here's one of the shots that I was talking about in the initial post (it was the first day i had the camera and was just playing with it so the picture sucks) https://flic.kr/p/rhajyf . Before being adjusted I never would have considered usable, it kinda looked liked I shoot it on expired Kodak gold. In better /more controlled lighting you can't really see the noise, however I shoot professionally in this same venue a few times a year.

I'm not disappointed with the performance as it's a world better after it's processed. I personally like my preview to look somewhat close to the final image.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:58 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More post production needed?

Play with the camera's High ISO NR setting - that will affect the embedded JPEG stored in the raw. It is the embedded JPEG that is displayed when you review raw images on the back of the camera.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More post production needed?

Are you comparing 100% crops between both cameras? The D800 has a whole lot more megapickels.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More post production needed?

As snapsy said, you're looking at the jpeg on the display. As well as noise in the jpeg, you'll also see the WB in the jpeg, along with the histogram output. I have my WB permanently set to daylight which gives the closest representation of what is in the raw image without dealing with the compexities of uniWB.

Nikon's newer bodies still have noise, but it's much finer and less prone to clumping, so cleans up very nicely.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:17 PM
rustede30

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More post production needed?

My main concern is edge definition and color representation. i know that its just a jpeg preview, i was kinda shocked that their was as much noise present. the only thing that I'm comparing to the pentax is the amount that you can correct thee noise that was present on the preview. With the Pentax what you seen in thee preview is pretty much what you got without losing too much detail. The D800 shows noise on the preview but you can correct for it post way more.

If I were to take the same picture above at 25600 on the K30 it would look like a six year old's sand art picture with no way to fix it.

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.