New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Stilltime
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I rarely use manual focus lenses, but enjoy the experience. When shooting with my 200mm f/2 Ai lens on the D600, I can achieve what seems to be perfect focus in the viewfinder and with the green dot, but it is terribly back focusing. Switch it to live view and correct for it and it is sharp as a tack.

Is this just my technique? Could I use the dot-tune (or my Reikan Focal Pro??) to adjust the focus confirmation for this lens so it is actually in focus when it appears in focus through the viewfinder?

I am tempted to get a Matte or S-type focus screen online.. Shooting with this and soon the 50/1.2 Ais will both be easier with the focusing screen.

Here's one shot from yesterday, shot in Live View on a monopod. It was -5 degrees out, so it was a quick shoot! I'll admit it is a bit over-cooked, not my normal cup-of-tea but it was a quick touch up to send to a friend of mine.

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:54 AM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

If you're not averse to tinkering around with your camera you could adjust the MF cam beneath the mirror (not recommended); here is more information on this:

http://leongoodman.tripod.com/d70focuspart3.html

The other option is to add a CPU to your lens and try what this fellow suggests:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2012/05/10/adjusting-the-cpu-focus-point-in-mf-nikkor-lenses/

Feb 23, 2015 at 06:40 PM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Am I wrong in thinking a split prism focus screen would help with this? I had a quote to adapt my lens with a CPU chip and it was a lot for what was offered.. Just wasn't sure of this was strictly a mechanical thing or whether it could be tuned out.

Thanks!

Chris C.

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:40 PM
dhbanes

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Are you shooting wide open? If not, maybe you're just experiencing moderate focus shift that when the lens is stopped down during exposure.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I don't trust the green dot in the viewfinder as it can be off most of the time. You can try snapping a few pictures while VERY SLOWLY turning the focus ring, once you get to that "in focus point", and one of those will be in perfect focus. I have some difficulties manual focusing long fast lenses like the Zeiss 135/2 and I found that this technique works really well.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:12 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

The screen in your D600 is optimized for f2,8 lenses. It will show you "perfect" focus for a 200 f2,8 lens. At that point you will get into an area where you can move the actual focal plane of the f2 lens without actually seeing a difference in the viewfinder.

The green dot is not 100% accurate either.

These things will be more noticable with a 50 f1,2 but will play a role in getting stuff in focus with the 200 f2 as well.

A split prism screen will help, but only when calibrated and shimmed correctly. You can find out how thick these shims need to be verifying focus obtained through a split prism using live view and afterward shim correctly.

You could look for a faster focus screen but f1,7 seems to be as fast as they come and those old Miranda screens require some modification before they fit in a Nikon body

Feb 24, 2015 at 05:13 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Check to see that the viewfinder is actually in focus for your eyesight. On the right of the prism, there's the adjustment dial you can use.

Feb 24, 2015 at 06:41 AM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I have a Pontiac g8, is that your car?

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:09 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Often best focus does not coincide with the green dot. On my d700 best focus is at the point where the right pointing arrow transitions to the dot. This is actually better because the transition window is a lot narrower than the broader range of the green dot.

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:20 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I'll try to answer these in one shot.

dhbanes - Yes, shooting at f/2.

Joseph. - I tried just strictly by the viewfinder and using the green dot. Viewfinder would look "in focus" and I had the same results after taking the shot, very out of focus. Switch to live view and it's obviously the same OOF, pull it back a little and it's tack sharp.

the solitare - That's a good point about the viewfinder only being optimized for f/2.8 and slower...could very well be the culprit. If I were to get a split prism and shim would I 1) enter LV and focus until it is perfectly in focus then 2) switch out of LV and take note of whether the split prism is in focus or out and 3) shim and repeat until the split prism is in focus when LV is?

NightOwl Cat - I have adjusted the diopter to give a crisp sharp view my eyes. I am a glasses wearer, not sure if it matters or not. I use the round eyepiece with the collapsible cup.

matthewo - Yes that's my G8. Sold my Nissan Titan last fall and picked it up, have done a few things since then. It's a GT, don't let the bumper fool you Any shots of yours?

Thanks everyone for the responses!! I might try a focusing screen and shim... I have only used split prism screens in the past, but a lot of people seem to prefer the S-type matte screen with no split prism etc. Any preferences here?

Chris C.

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:35 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I guess a part II to this question would have been green dot or not, if the image is in focus in the viewfinder but is blurry when I take the picture what is the issue? And I *think* the answer is because the focus screen isn't optimized for fast lenses there is a range that is in focus in the viewfinder and I'm not hitting it..

Chris C.

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:46 AM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I have the V Brakes as well

http://www.orselliphoto.com/TEMP_PHOTOS/car_n/rearb_11.jpg

http://www.orselliphoto.com/TEMP_PHOTOS/3g8.jpg

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I see your car on G8Board all the time, didn't put it together. And I thought your username sounded familiar, your 2014 Year End Review was incredible!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Mathematically, when you "measure" the leeway you have by moving through the area that appears sharp (let's say f2,8 DoF) then from the border of that leeway nearest to you, 1/3rd of the distance in is where your exact focal plane lies.

To replace the screen you need to hold the camera upside down, prism on the table. That unfortunately means keeping focus to co.pare won't work.

Best just verify how far off the split prism result is from what live view tells you and add or remove a shim after each pass.

When replacing the screen for a split prism on my D300 I had to make do without lv. That was quite the hassle. Took me a week to get right

Stilltime wrote:
I guess a part II to this question would have been green dot or not, if the image is in focus in the viewfinder but is blurry when I take the picture what is the issue? And I *think* the answer is because the focus screen isn't optimized for fast lenses there is a range that is in focus in the viewfinder and I'm not hitting it..

Chris C.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM
jbouchard
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I grew up with Manual Focus SLR's, and they all had better focusing screens than any modern DSLR.

I have a Katzeye screen on one of my D700's and it helps me increase my keeper rates with Zeiss 100/2 and 135/2 Ais, but keeper rate is still not anywhere like 100%. With a 200/2, I'm sure it's challenging.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:01 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

peter brodik would be a good person to answer your questions. I think That is his fm name. He uses the same set up and he has some pretty bad ass results.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:10 PM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Awesome thanks for all of the tips and suggestions! I'll try to contact Peter. Pretty sure his thread was the tipping point for me buying one of these gems...

Chris C.

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:41 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

I have a feeling Peter Brodik uses LV focusing with a loupe on the LCD......

Feb 24, 2015 at 04:57 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikkor 200mm f/2 Ai - Focus Question

Not sure about Peter Brodik, but the most used lens on my D3 is a 55mm f1,2.
I would love to own a 200 f2 Ai-S but for now that's a bit out of range for me.

With some practice it's no big deal to focus these fast manual lenses, but you just need to take your time to learn how the lens works. On my D300 I had a Katz Eye screen. On the D3 I still use the stock screen (an f2,5 optimized screen).

Feb 24, 2015 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.