Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

Joseph.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

CGrindahl wrote:
He is AND, amazingly, he is still buying camera gear...

I'm very thankful that the AI/S glasses look the same
As long as I don't bring that 500 f/4P home, I get to sleep on the bed

Feb 24, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

UG! I wish my mechanic was not on vacation ... being down to one vehicle with 6 kids is starting to SUCK!

I don't want to go off and spend the $$ on a new vehicle is the fix to the old one is <$1000 ... that's despite the fact that I really do suspect it's the transmission and end bill will cost > $2000.

Oh hum!

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

If you can't borrow one from family, might want to rent something for a week. May cost you a little, but less than buying a new car that you might not need, if the repairs aren't bad.

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:15 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

CGrindahl wrote:
You mean the mother of your six children? Clearly, you have your priorities straight. Keeping her happy makes everything in life easier...

Kelley Blue Book says my car is worth $2,405 if I sell it to a private party... but to me it is worth a great deal more since it saves me from having to buy a car. I got a deal on it when I bought it because it is a 5 speed manual transmission, but that also means the only problem I'm likely to have is replacing the clutch. I have my fingers crossed that I can
...Show more

The transmission on my old 2001 Civic had apparently been broken for years when I sold it (the 5th gear synchro was burned out, making the shift into that gear notchy... something I never noticed). Drove that car for over 12 years and I didn't even know when the transmission broke. I wish it were still so easy to find decent manual-shift cars.

Andre, you should consider just replacing the transmission in the Odyssey, even if it exceeds KBB on the car. It's not a great value proposition given the age and mileage of the van, but if the rest of the vehicle is in decent shape, it's a heck of a lot less expensive to replace a tranny with a rebuilt one than buying a new car altogether.

Feb 25, 2015 at 07:23 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

Arka wrote:
Andre, you should consider just replacing the transmission in the Odyssey, even if it exceeds KBB on the car. It's not a great value proposition given the age and mileage of the van, but if the rest of the vehicle is in decent shape, it's a heck of a lot less expensive to replace a tranny with a rebuilt one than buying a new car altogether.

Exactly. The question I always ask myself is if it makes more sense to simply spend $2,000 for a repair vs. spending $15,000 for another used car, which might then have some hidden repairs about to jump out.

Kent in SD

Feb 25, 2015 at 07:57 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

Sounds like a broken CV joint on one of the front drive axles… which is a fairly inexpensive repair. When they break they make a clanking sound and since the trans has an open differential you lose both pulling power and park. Hopefully it isn't a transmission. But even if it was the Honda is good for another 150,000 miles… a transmission would be much cheaper than another car. Easy enough to check… Jack up one front wheel and see if you can spin it freely.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

Where are Click and Clack when you need them? Listening to the conversation on this thread I'm reminded of their "examination" of problems brought to them by listeners. I like "broken CV joint" not because I've any idea what that means or whether it is conceivable, but I can hear Tom say such a thing with authority and then a big laugh...

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:09 PM
renowood
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

wswartzwel wrote:
Sounds like a broken CV joint on one of the front drive axles… which is a fairly inexpensive repair. When they break they make a clanking sound and since the trans has an open differential you lose both pulling power and park. Hopefully it isn't a transmission. But even if it was the Honda is good for another 150,000 miles… a transmission would be much cheaper than another car. Easy enough to check… Jack up one front wheel and see if you can spin it freely.

+1 on the broken cv axle, if it didn't damage the transaxle it's probably about a $500 repair at the dealer I change them myself, takes about 90 minutes and costs about $75 per side new at the local parts store. By the new ones, no core charge, and come with a lifetime warranty. My buddy had over 250k on his 04 Odyssey with only minor issues.

Dave

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:14 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

wswartzwel wrote:

This is exactly what I'm hoping it is ... time will tell. I'll find out when my mechanic comes back from vacation next week. Right now the vehicle is in his lot.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:30 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

Andre -- So you lucked out, huh?

Glad to see from your response on the other thread that you got your car fixed. Too bad it took so long for your mechanic to get back, but I guess all's well that ends well.

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:01 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

Very much so! My wife and I were tickled. Now if it would last to 200K miles, that would give us another 3 years which would be just peachy!

Mar 03, 2015 at 11:40 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Well, there goes the photography budget for this year.

My Acura ILX only has 20k miles... I guess I have nothing to worry about lol

Glad you got yours fixed.

Mar 03, 2015 at 01:12 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.