Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

smackem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

Hi folks!

I've a couple of canon DSLRs, 7D and 100D and have been looking for an App to enable a camera to be triggered via WiFi from my iPhone 6. None of my cameras have built-in WiFi functionality but I have just bought a Toshiba Flashair SDHC memory card and cannot find an App to trigger the 100D without additional hardware.

Canon has an App but only works on their DSLRs with built in WiFi functionality, the other Apps I've looked at use USB cable connection or infra-red to communicate with the camera but I cannot find an iPhone App that uses WiFi.

I cannot understand why there are no obvious WiFi solutions available so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:18 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

you would need to get something like a Camranger to trigger camera with wifi if the camera doesn't have it built in. the wifi card just lets you download pics to the device, not control the camera. the wifi accessory from canon also allows control I believe, but I haven't dealt with that and that one is about twice the price of a camranger.

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

There is a free app called Triggertrap that may meet your requirements (check it out in the App. Store on iTunes). You have to buy the dongle to go with it but it's not expensive.

Otherwise maybe EOS Remote if your cameras recognise you have added a WiFi receiver and EOS Remote can use it.

There are probably other apps too.

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:48 AM
smackem
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

Hi John,

Thank you for the quick reply. I've seen the Camranger and its a nice piece of kit but rather expensive here in the UK at £250, approximately $390 US. Also, I was hoping that I could get an App for the iPhone to trigger the camera without any add-on hardware.

All the best

Tony

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM
smackem
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

Hi Frogfish

Thanks for the info on Triggertrap which looks interesting. As you say, it does require a dongle but its not very expensive, I think I'll give it a try.

All the best

Tony

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

The triggertrap wifi solution requires 2 phones, etc. Their wired dongle is a great tool, but I can't see it as a great solution for a wireless trigger, especially from a cost point.

However, something like a Yongnuo RF-602 trigger/receiver combo does work great as a wireless trigger; I use it regularly to shoot real estate elevated shots with my camera on a pole.

Paul

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:30 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

Paulthelefty wrote:
The triggertrap wifi solution requires 2 phones, etc. Their wired dongle is a great tool, but I can't see it as a great solution for a wireless trigger, especially from a cost point.

However, something like a Yongnuo RF-602 trigger/receiver combo does work great as a wireless trigger; I use it regularly to shoot real estate elevated shots with my camera on a pole.

Paul

Edited.

I also use the very cheap Pixel radio triggers/receivers, you can't zoom and of course they don't work with a smartphone but you do get Single shot, Continuous, Bulb and Timer. I've always been impressed with Yongnuo equipment too.

From the Triggertrap website : All you need to get started is our free app and one of our incredibly affordable Triggertrap Mobile Dongle & Connection Cable Kits. We support over 300 camera models across 14 brands.

Triggertrap also has a ton of other modes too e.g. for time-lapse. It's a very neat little app.

https://triggertrap.com

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:55 PM
smackem
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

Thanks Paul and Frogfish again,
I've been using the Hahnel Inspire http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=65&pId=65 for a few years but it's a bit cumbersome so I was hoping to find a similar solution utilising the iPhone. The solutions we've identified unfortunately don't provide live-view which means we are essesntially shooting blind. I just hope someone will come up with an iPhone camera control App that provides a view of the scene being photographed. Whoever that is will make a fortune......
Tony

Feb 24, 2015 at 03:32 AM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

I use io shutter pro with my IPhone 5s it's exactly what you're looking for

Al

Feb 28, 2015 at 09:50 PM
smackem
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to trigger a camera using WiFi from an iPhone?

Thanks Al

I checked out IO Shutter Pro but I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't require a cable between the iPhone and camera and also has 'live view' so I can see what I'm taking a photo of. I may have to resort to getting a new Canon camera with built-in WiFi as Canon does have an App that allows wireless operation of the camera including live view from the iPhone.

Tony

Mar 01, 2015 at 05:11 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.