Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Scene modes - what settings change?

bggary

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Does anyone have an exhaustive list of the setting changes that are made in each of the scene modes? Ideally for D750 or D7100, but I suspect they are similar across the NIkon line.

For example: "Landscape" turns flash off, uses smallest aperture, adjusts shutter speed to suit, and sets focus to infinity.

My thinking is... I know what sets of settings I use in different circumstances, but don't always have the time/attention-span to make them all. If I knew *exactly* what each of the modes changed, I might be able to use several of them as shortcuts...

Just a random thought on a Sunday night.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:54 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Who uses scene mode? I never do, but basically the scene modes do what we would do for various types of scenes.

I shoot 100% manual exposure. If you have questions in that regard, consider "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:18 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Scene modes?
Get the book Andre suggests.

If you haven't done it before, a couple hours of study and practice will have you using "M", "A", or "S" which is more appropriate for advanced cameras like those.

Save the scene modes for when you let friends or children borrow the camera.

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:28 AM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Dang did anyone actually read the OP's post before answering? He clearly states that he normally sets up the camera to his liking for certain situations but was curious as to whether there was a index showing what the scene modes do and settings used so as to be able to use one of those in a pinch if it paralleled what the op normally used in that situation. Telling him he needs to read up on exposure without knowing his/her level of experience is rather snobbish. He may know more about exposure than you Best thing to do would be to set up U1 & U2 to meet a couple of circumstance and then experiment with the "scene" modes to get a better idea what they do. I don't think there is a definitive text that tells what each does fully.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scene modes - what settings change?

^^^ Yes, I did read the OP's post completely before answering. But if someone is planning on using scene modes as shortcuts to using M, A or S modes, it typically (not always) is an indication of lack of practice (or solid knowledge of) quickly changing settings in M, A or S modes.

The recommended book is useful to people needing more practice in addition to people just starting out. Heck, I've been shooting 100% manual for over 10 years, including fast moving sports action, and I still occasionally go back an read a section to get some ideas.

To the OP: sorry if I misjudged your experience level ... but in the end I think you will find solid knowledge of your setting is just as fast as using scene modes.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:36 AM
bggary

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Thanks, all.

Not a newbie, and I shoot in Aperture mode about 70% of the time, Manual almost all the rest. I understand my camera and how to set it up. And I have read Bryan Peterson's book (and many others) in my decades-long quest to capture what I see.

There are occasions, though (a recent "1st birthday party" comes to mind) where my ability to rapidly change metering mode, focus area-mode, focus mode, ISO and perhaps other things before the "moment" is gone, is... challenged. I don't think "more practice" is the answer... I want a faster approach that I can switch in and out of.

When I know ahead of time what I'll be doing, I thoroughly use U1/U2. In this case, though, I had planned for a party atmosphere, had the camera set up for moving people in ambient/indoor light... and came across a moment happening in a dark corner, and not enough time to capture it "right".

So, I had thought of using a couple of scene modes as analogs of the settings I would pick "if" I had the time.

While I primarily shoot in M, I'm not a mode-snob. If the camera is pre-set to do something, and it would save me time and produce the result I want, I'm open to trying it....

Edited on Feb 23, 2015 at 02:00 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:34 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scene modes - what settings change?

^^^^Understood and I believe your suggestions are both sound and in good faith. However the question was is there a "exhaustive" index of what all the changes that scene modes make, and to that the answer is no. I too shoot mainly "M" but unless you shoot M, use a light meter, and set your ISO manually you really are using "scenes" anyway with only a little more control.

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:34 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scene modes - what settings change?

I agree with rwingsfan ... go M most of the time. There are few moments I miss but I have become blazing fast at getting my manual exposure settings.

Feb 23, 2015 at 03:53 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Bggary, don't let the Luddites get you down. If you want to use the scene modes, use the scene modes. Just because some people see using them as a sign of amateurism or whatever is no reason to throw away some of the automation built into the camera system you use. You did pay for that automation, might as well put it to work.

As for the actual settings changed, I don't think it's very sophisticated, all I've been able to find is what you would expect to be the obvious changes. Large aperture for portrait, fast shutter for sport, that sort of thing. I think it's a great idea to use those settings, certainly as a starting point if nothing else. If you do decide to go through the menus and jot down what changes, let us know so we can all use the info. Thanks.

And, I almost never use M. What for? The camera is a lot smarter than I am.

Tell you what, I don't know exactly what prompted me to make this post and I don't mean to offend, getting curmudgeonly in my old age I guess. But this attitude of "you're not a real photographer if you don't use only all manual controls" is just silly and I'm getting tired of hearing it.

Feb 23, 2015 at 06:59 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
And, I almost never use M. What for? The camera is a lot smarter than I am.

Tell you what, I don't know exactly what prompted me to make this post and I don't mean to offend, getting curmudgeonly in my old age I guess. But this attitude of "you're not a real photographer if you don't use only all manual controls" is just silly and I'm getting tired of hearing it.

+1000 This is the only reason I posted in this thread. First the original question was ignored then the "if you don't shoot M you're a amateur" business came up. While most the time I do shoot in "M" I still use auto ISO, so really kind of a scene mode. I see no issue using them either and it might be nice to have a index of the different changes. Heck I should probably use "P" more often and honestly I get my best photos with my V2 in this mode. I guess the camera really is smarter than me At the end of the day like I said earlier unless you do not use any automation from the machine at all then your in a scene mode and why not take advantage of the automation and then tweak to taste?

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:07 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scene modes - what settings change?

I, for one, have no problem with attempting to answer the OP's question. Despite the fact that I don't use scene modes, I am curious.

I THINK there are a bunch of things going in more complex than just shutter speed and aperture. Probably neutral/ vivid, ADL, white balance, etc. etc. Maybe the exposure compensation and metering settings also. All the things that give you a jpeg that doesn't quite look like your processed RAW.

It would be mildly interesting to know what Nikon thinks the settings should be for particular types of pictures.

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:50 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Those guys should be strung up!

Feb 23, 2015 at 08:37 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Scene modes - what settings change?

With hand braided rope!

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:22 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Scene modes - what settings change?

I don't think I've seen this information out there anywhere, but my guess is the actual settings in the various scene modes aren't hard-wired - the camera probably adjusts aperture, etc. much as a photographer would going through his/her decision-making while shooting in that kind of situation. You're just giving the camera an idea of the goal/situation and it is adjusting a variety of things.

If Thom Hogan wrote up a guide to the D7000 or D7100 (pretty sure he did for one or both), I'd bet a fair amount of detail is in that book.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:01 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Scene modes - what settings change?

ckcarr wrote:
Those guys should be strung up!

Dang I hope your rope is strong.......I need to lose a few pounds

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:27 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Scene modes - what settings change?

I may have some info for a D5100, post if you think it would help.

Nikon or Darryl Young's book might have this info, or maybe get a e version of the manual and search it??

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM
gpr54

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Scene modes - what settings change?

Bggary
You can find that information in Darrell Young’s book “Mastering the Nikon D7000” and probably some of his other books.
Stan

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:01 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Scene modes - what settings change?

You guys are funny ... I am an amateur and I used to use nothing but the scene modes once upon a time. However, what I found is that once I went 100% manual and took to heart everything Bryan Peterson speaks of in his book, I found that my photography improved significantly and that my exposures are more what I want by controlling things manually as opposed to using the scene modes.

It took awhile as at first I was spending so much brain power on exposure that my compositions suffered ... but over time, it all came together quite nicely.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Scene modes - what settings change?

I shoot all of my weddings in green auto mode on my D4s. Comes out perfect EVERY time! What's M mode? Monkey?

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Scene modes - what settings change?

In answer to the OP's question, I seem to remember my camera manual having some information on how these settings work ... did you check that?

Feb 24, 2015 at 02:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.