New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

No Regrets
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

I've never had a monopod before, and therefore really don't have any experience with them. Because I don't know anything about these, I thought I'd enlist the help of the forum members here that may be willing to share their experiences with them....whether they be good or bad.

Background info on me. I stand 6ft 1". I'll be using the Nikon Df along with the Zeiss 135 ZF.2 with longer lens in the future.

My local store only had a couple on hand that I could actually handle. One of which was the Monfrotto 681B Heavy Duty Pro Monopod. It seemed to be sturdy and I liked the flip locks and the fact that they can be tightened with the supplied tool. Also the price was quite affordable at only $80 .http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5480-REG/Manfrotto_681B_681B_3_Section_Monopod.html

Looking on the internet I came across the Benro A49F for roughly the same money that is taller, supports more weight and has flip locks for the extensions. The foot is quite different though. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743968-REG/Benro_A49F_A49F_Classic_Aluminum_Monopod.html

Any suggestions on these or something that you feel may be more worthwhile would be greatly appreciated.

Other questions....

Does Carbon Fiber really make a difference with vibration control in real life experience or is it just marketing hyperbole?
Does the type of foot make a huge difference....rubber vs steel spike?

Also which type of head is best? I do want to be able to do portrait mode as well as landscape shooting.

Sorry for such a long winded post. I have so many questions and am just lost.

Many thanks to any and all who are willing to share some guidance.

Feb 22, 2015 at 09:50 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

I have the 681B, and it's proved a nice pod over the years. I don't use a head: just an AS clamp mounted directly, which has been fine most of the time. Almost all the times I use a monopod its with a lens large enough to have a tripod collar so landscape/portrait isn't a concern with regards to the head.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:09 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

Thanks Jman13 for your post. It's a nice testimony to the 681B.

I'm hoping others will be able to chime in as well that can maybe answer some of my other questions that I had too

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

A quick search for "mono" finds quite a few recent threads on this topic,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1348939
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1333502
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1333348
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1330395
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1325220

Feb 23, 2015 at 02:44 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

I have an old 681B too. It lives in my car trunk but is my least favorite monopod: heavy and doesn't fold up very small. Feel like I'm carrying a nightstick. I rarely use it for long lenses but it's handy for extra stability, selfies, shooting over crowds, out windows and from trees. Yes, I do those things! I have a Vanguard tilt head on it and it would be totally useless for me without it. However, people that use them for track sports normally just need a QR clamp.

My fav monopod is the Sirui 326: super light, fits in my messenger bag and feels more stable than my Manfrotto.

http://www.amazon.com/SIRUI-P-326-Section-Carbon-Monopod/dp/B004QC6VAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424728039&sr=8-1&keywords=Sirui+monopod

Feb 23, 2015 at 04:54 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

Gochugogi wrote:
I have an old 681B too. It lives in my car trunk but is my least favorite monopod: heavy and doesn't fold up very small. Feel like I'm carrying a nightstick. I rarely use it for long lenses but it's handy for extra stability, selfies, shooting over crowds, out windows and from trees. Yes, I do those things! I have a Vanguard tilt head on it and it would be totally useless for me without it. However, people that use them for track sports normally just need a QR clamp.

My fav monopod is the Sirui 326: super light, fits
...Show more

Thank you for your response!

How do you like using the 5 twist locks vs only the 2 lever locks of the 681B?

In your experience, would you say that one is more stable or vibration free than the other allowing you to use slower shutter speeds?

Thank you for sharing the link as well as your experiences!
No Regrets

Feb 23, 2015 at 05:32 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

OP stated....

Also which type of head is best? I do want to be able to do portrait mode as well as landscape shooting.

I personally like the one at the end of a 681B...fairly big...and blunt.....the spike is more aligned with tripods
so that the feet wont "slip". You could do one and just get the rubber bootie to cover it and take off/put in pocket when if needed to plant the spike in the turf.

I prefer using the RRS clamp plate on their monopod heads.....allows for quick changes, and the head is the best built and solid performer. I had a Sirui....but couldn't change the direction of the clamp and other issues
(not related to this topic) so I got the best and never looked back.

I have 5 of the 680 series of the Monfrotto line....some with the feet in some without. Yes...a little heavy,
but that is due to being almost indestructible...as well as supports a ton of weight. I use it with a 400 2.8
and pro body setup....and I've never felt in question to it not doing its job.

Carbon fiber ones....if you get to "barely" hand your current weight load....will "feel" compromised to its ability
to handle the weight.....but will save a pound or so. Yes its great to have one that folds up to only 15 inches,
but again...I've never felt like mine were taking up "too" much room in my car during traveling as I'd rather
have one give me the confidence that its not going to break on me due to weight and lugging the gear around.

Feb 23, 2015 at 05:39 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

onesickpuppy wrote:
OP stated....

I personally like the one at the end of a 681B...fairly big...and blunt.....the spike is more aligned with tripods
so that the feet wont "slip". You could do one and just get the rubber bootie to cover it and take off/put in pocket when if needed to plant the spike in the turf.

I prefer using the RRS clamp plate on their monopod heads.....allows for quick changes, and
...Show more

Hi and thank you for your response! It sounds as though one certainly can't go wrong with the Monfrotto line. I kind of like the 681B because there is only two lever locks to deal with.

Please forgive my ignorance here....but when referring to the RRS and their clamp plate are you referring to either of these shown in the link here... http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Compare-Items.html?itemIDs=5810%2C5811

And if so, would this allow me to shoot in both portrait and landscape mode and yet retain the ability to tilt up and down?

Many thanks,
No Regrets

P.S. I have to chuckle at your moniker...onesickpuppy....as that is what I am right now, suffering with a blasted sinus infection.

Feb 23, 2015 at 06:02 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

Yes...to the model in your link.

Each has the ability to rotate the head.....so as long as you have a camera or body arca swiss mount,
you would be able to tilt forward or backward.

If you only have a body plate (not an L bracket) that is where you would just rotate the mount and then the
camera would be in portrait mode...just off to the side of the mono pod....instead of on top of it.

The MH-01-40 LR is slightly smaller and cheaper....and works really well. I just setup a friend with this
setup....for a Nikon gripped body and 80-400 lens.....works great!!

And she can rotate the clamp to give portrait mode if needed.

Feb 23, 2015 at 06:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

I prefer the twist locks on the Sirui over my Gitzo twists and the Manfrotto flips. I can actually turn all six at once so setup is faster than the Manfrotto. I often use the Sirui monopod wedged in my pocket, belt or on a table top, so being able to reduce length to 15" is very handy. The 681 is too long at its shortest setting.

I use a Sunwayfoto ball head on the Sirui and find it more flexible than the Vanguard and Manfrotto tilt heads (too limited movements for over fences and ceilings). The problem with QR on tilt heads is it's tricky to switch orientation. The easiest way is to swap the fixed clamp for a panning clamp.

Feb 23, 2015 at 06:14 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

Gochugogi wrote:
I prefer the twist locks on the Sirui over my Gitzo twists and the Manfrotto flips. I can actually turn all six at once so setup is faster than the Manfrotto. I often use the Sirui monopod wedged in my pocket, belt or on a table top, so being able to reduce length to 15" is very handy. The 681 is too long at its shortest setting.

I use a Sunwayfoto ball head on the Sirui and find it more flexible than the Vanguard and Manfrotto tilt heads (too limited movements for over fences and ceilings). The problem with QR on
...Show more

Thanks Gochugogi for sharing your personal experiences with the various monopods and heads. Very helpful!

Best wishes,
No Regrets

Feb 23, 2015 at 06:28 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

There are lots of good monopods out there, as there are heads, if you pick one that people recommend (I also check the reviews on Amazon if they have them) then you are not going to go far wrong - the monopods especially are very simple tools.

I have been using the Benro C49T for a couple of years, excellent monopod. It is usually supporting a large nest Gimbol, 300/2.8VRII and TC and either a D800E or D3s ... that's around 6-7kgs. It would very easily handle your DF/Zeiss 135/2. The C stands for carbon of course and yes it is lighter than Alu and very very strong.

Most recently (2 weeks ago) I used the C49T rig above in temps down to -50C and it didn't miss a beat, the oil/grease in the gimbal I used started to freeze up, I had to keep rotating it vigorously to keep it swivelling.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the C49T.

My favourite head is a Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 (if this is overkill for your setup then they have smaller versions). Lovely head, I really enjoy using it. Do a Google search on it (Amazon again etc.) for reviews.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

Frogfish wrote:
There are lots of good monopods out there, as there are heads, if you pick one that people recommend (I also check the reviews on Amazon if they have them) then you are not going to go far wrong - the monopods especially are very simple tools.

I have been using the Benro C49T for a couple of years, excellent monopod. It is usually supporting a large nest Gimbol, 300/2.8VRII and TC and either a D800E or D3s ... that's around 6-7kgs. It would very easily handle your DF/Zeiss 135/2. The C stands for carbon of course and yes it is
...Show more

Thank you Frogfish for your post. I'm glad to hear that the Benro has been working well for you. To me, it looks like it would be a great monopod. I'm sure either the Manfrotto or the Benro will serve me fine....they look similar in design with only the foot being substantially different. How do you like the Benro's foot compared to that of the big, round rubber foot of the Manfrotto?

Thanks for telling me about the MH054M0-Q5. I will do some research on that one today and see what I can learn about it.

Thanks again Frogfish!
No Regrets

Feb 24, 2015 at 07:23 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

Did I miss something here? The OP mentioned "monopod and Head" but I don't see any mention of a head. Also what camera and lens are you supporting with your proposed setup? If you like to photograph birds a lot, you will want a tilt type head. In this way, you avoid having to tilt the entire monopod back, which can be quite awkward, and sometimes impossible for certain angled overhead shots.

I use a Sunwayphoto tilt head (has an Arca-Swiss type connection) but will not recommend it for any DSLR camera and lens combo heavier than a 70-200mm/f4 lens because it does not lock anything heavier in place (it slips down)

Mar 01, 2015 at 11:52 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

dalite....it was mentioned several times above.....

its called a RRS MH-01-40 LR or the MH-02....etc, etc

tilts and can change rotation of the plate to accommodate just a body plate

Mar 02, 2015 at 01:36 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

No Regrets wrote:
Thank you Frogfish for your post. I'm glad to hear that the Benro has been working well for you. To me, it looks like it would be a great monopod. I'm sure either the Manfrotto or the Benro will serve me fine....they look similar in design with only the foot being substantially different. How do you like the Benro's foot compared to that of the big, round rubber foot of the Manfrotto?

Thanks for telling me about the MH054M0-Q5. I will do some research on that one today and see what I can learn about it.

Thanks again Frogfish!
No Regrets

Sorry. Missed your Q.

The feet don't really bother me either way as I'm usually pushing them down into dirt however I'd imagine the rubber one better if you plan to use them often on marble, stone etc. Probably also easy to get replacements types if required.

Mar 02, 2015 at 04:16 AM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need help choosing Monopod and Head

Manfrotto 681B for me when using a long lens. I also have a 679B that I use with a shorter lens (300 2.8IS). I wouldn't go smaller than the 681B when using my 400 2.8 simply because of the weight of the lens and body combo in comparison to the weight rating of the pod.
I love the flip locks and only use the three section ones. I am constantly changing position and running from place to place and for that the two adjustments are perfect. I don't use a head and simply screw the tripod mount directly to the monopod.
I do have a Manfrotto gimbal style mount for the 400 2.8 but I havent ever used it
Also, I can't really see how the vibration advantage would matter with a monopod..maybe with a tripod but a monopod isn't going to be perfectly still no matter what given the design. I also think that the weight savings will be minimal as well since it is so small.
Good luck,
Peter

Mar 02, 2015 at 06:27 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.