Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

ELSELS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Hello:

I am still "trying" to secure a deal on a Canon 1D Mark III (my preferred choice), from my Canon 1Ds Mark II camera.

I might have access to (easier deal to work on), getting a Canon 7D - "instead" of the Canon 1D Mark III - I prefer.

Questions?

1.) Would you think - considering the various differences between the two cameras, the Canon 7D and 1D Mark III - the Pros and Cons, would you opt for the 7D "over" (if even temporarily), as an upgrade from the Canon 1Ds Mark II - to the 7D?

Thoughts, ideas, comments, etc. are Welcome..

Thanks for your time,

Have a nice day...

Ed

~ ~ ~

Feb 22, 2015 at 03:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Hi Ed,

I shot a 1DIII and 7D together for a couple of years. I found the 1DIII had better AF (i.e. more keepers), but the extra 'reach' of the 7D was alluring. I found that I could crop a 1DIII image a little bit, but quickly "ran out of" pixels. OTOH, the higher pixel count of the 7D (18 MP vs. 10 MP) suggested that I could "go deep" in the 7D file. Unfortunately, the higher per-pixel noise of the 7D made that not practical. Long story short, I sold both of them and bought a 1DIV.

If I was going back to those days, I'd much prefer to have a 1DIII over a 7D.

P.S. I still think you should sell the 1DsII and buy a 1DIII, not wait for an acceptable trade.

Feb 22, 2015 at 03:54 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

jcolwell wrote:
Long story short, I sold both of them and bought a 1DIV.

Hello:

Thanks for posting your comments / suggestions / opinions..

Okay then how about you and I trade - I offer the Canon 1D, 1DsII and maybe some Canon EF mount lenses for your 1DIV - then you could have a lot of gear to juggle.. - or you might sell to upgrade to ...?

I am definitely "leaning" and desiring the Canon 1D Mark III - first-and-foremost - if possible..

Thanks again,

Ed

~ ~ ~

Feb 22, 2015 at 03:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Nice try, Ed.

I have sufficient gears. I leave the juggling to Mitesh.

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:00 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

No.

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:09 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Okay, pretty much a definite - Go for the Canon 1D Mark III ...

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

I saw a 1Ds3 on the B&S (yesterday, I think) for $1400 or so. That's the camera you should aspire to own. As Jim said, abandon your idea of trading and simply sell your 1Ds2 for whatever you can get ($700 or so), and pony up the balance for the camera you actually want.

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:13 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Hello:

I am "working in that new direction" - and train-of-thought - Thanks...

Ed

~ ~ ~

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:27 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Ed,

I shot a 1DIII and 7D together for a couple of years. I found the 1DIII had better AF (i.e. more keepers), but the extra 'reach' of the 7D was alluring. I found that I could crop a 1DIII image a little bit, but quickly "ran out of" pixels. OTOH, the higher pixel count of the 7D (18 MP vs. 10 MP) suggested that I could "go deep" in the 7D file. Unfortunately, the higher per-pixel noise of the 7D made that not practical. Long story short, I sold both of them and bought a 1DIV.

If I was
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

Gunzorro wrote:
I saw a 1Ds3 on the B&S (yesterday, I think) for $1400 or so. That's the camera you should aspire to own. As Jim said, abandon your idea of trading and simply sell your 1Ds2 for whatever you can get ($700 or so), and pony up the balance for the camera you actually want.

I agree the 1DIII is, IMO, better and the 7D but the 7D can produce some stunning images in the right hands. When I faced this problem I took the second route, 1DsIII and I have not been sorry. Jim

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:39 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Thanks to everyone that posted within the thread...

I have been reading the posts, and enjoy the various input, thoughts,
opinions, ideas, etc.

Looking even forward to many more posts..

Have a nice day everyone,

Ed

~ ~ ~

Feb 22, 2015 at 05:43 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

I use a 7D alongside a 1Ds2 and find them a good pairing. I predominantly use the 1Ds2 but bring out the 7D if I need the fps or crop.

Feb 22, 2015 at 05:45 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Gunzorro wrote:

I regularly shoot two cameras together (1D3 and 5D3) and would much prefer to use the 1Ds3. However, its inability to hit ISO 6400 was a deal breaker. As nice as it is to have a bulletproof 1D, it will probably be replaced by a 5D4. The inability to reach past ISO 6400 is becoming a bit of a bear in certain situations and its lack of resolution is a very real problem in some scenarios.

The AF on the 1D3 is confidence inspiring and gets the job done every time in good to even the bad side of moderate lighting situations. At a certain point, it stops being able to find a focus point while the 5D3 can keep tracking but these situations are fairly rare.

Pros over the 7D? Better ergonomics, better noise, better AF sensor, better AF spread, 1.3x crop factor is better for my photography style than 1.6x, and while not weatherproof, it is as close as you can get.

Feb 22, 2015 at 07:08 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

Case and point - I sold my 7D almost 2 years ago to fund a used 1D III when they were just under 2 grand. . . then a year later spent 700 on it at CPS after my discounts to repair a crack in the housing and replace the mirror box and prism. . . I don't use it all the time anymore thanks to the 7D Mk II and 6D, but I still love shooting my 1D III and love the images it can produce.

Feb 23, 2015 at 04:36 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

ELSELS wrote:
Hello:

I am still "trying" to secure a deal on a Canon 1D Mark III (my preferred choice), from my Canon 1Ds Mark II camera.

I might have access to (easier deal to work on), getting a Canon 7D - "instead" of the Canon 1D Mark III - I prefer.

Questions?

1.) Would you think - considering the various differences between the two cameras, the Canon 7D and 1D Mark III - the Pros and Cons, would you opt for the 7D "over" (if even temporarily), as an upgrade from the Canon 1Ds Mark II - to the 7D?

Thoughts, ideas, comments, etc. are Welcome..
...Show more

A 7D (not II) over a 1DIII?

For photography and not video?

The one feature that I did like on the 7D was spot focus. With the exception of some improvements between the 1DIII and 7D (LCD screen, AFMA), the two aren't even in the same league.

Unless the smaller physical size of the 7D is of benefit, I wouldn't choose it over a 1DIII.

Feb 23, 2015 at 08:10 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Other alternative ? - Canon 7D ~ INSTEAD ~ of Canon 1D Mark III ?

My personal choice would be the 1D III over the original 7D. The high ISO and low-light performance alone would set it apart. Better AF too.

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.