It really helped me understand the "Peter Lik" phenomena

Link to article

Bob

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peter Lik Article

Well at least I liked his image better than the other two mentioned. Its funny what makes art. On the one hand you have popular art bought by the untrained but wealthy, then you have the artsy art which requires some brain reprogramming to appreciate because it is not intuitive.

Edited on Feb 22, 2015 at 01:08 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2015 at 01:05 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peter Lik Article

Great American story. And I like what he thinks of Ansel what's-his-name.

Feb 22, 2015 at 01:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peter Lik Article

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Great American story. And I like what he thinks of Ansel what's-his-name.

Yes, I have read that AA was not universally admired by the fine art community either. Not that I care, I like his work better than any others from that time frame. If only it were not B&W.

Feb 22, 2015 at 01:31 PM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peter Lik Article

A legend in his own mind. I don't and won't tolerate people who think so highly of themselves. Don't care how much money he has or how famous he thinks he is. Peter, get over yourself. BTW, the Phantom? Smoke and mirrors baby. I think it sucks.

Alan

Feb 22, 2015 at 02:36 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Peter Lik Article

angel manguel wrote:
A legend in his own mind. I don't and won't tolerate people who think so highly of themselves. Don't care how much money he has or how famous he thinks he is. Peter, get over yourself. BTW, the Phantom? Smoke and mirrors baby. I think it sucks.

Alan

Agreed, I see lots of work on this forum that I like better and I am not a big fan of slot canyon shots anyway, (Zion Narrows excepted) but of course thats just personal reference. I have no idea why any art fetches such high prices.

Feb 22, 2015 at 02:46 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Peter Lik Article

He's the Kanye West of Photography. I guess if you tell yourself and others that you are a master, soon enough there will be some people who will believe you.

Feb 22, 2015 at 03:31 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Peter Lik Article

Ben Horne wrote:
He's the Kanye West of Photography.

love this one Ben!

Feb 22, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Peter Lik Article

It's all about marketing. Anyone can sell their stuff, no mater how typical or average it may be, to the masses by hiring a good marketing service. Why do you think there is so much junk out there in every aspect of consumerism? Marketing and advertising to the population that is incapable of telling the difference.

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:11 PM
allstarimaging
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Peter Lik Article

Master Photograher or Master Salesman or following on Ben's comparison to Kayne West Mast Dusche might be an option

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:21 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Peter Lik Article

To Peter I say, "Nice work if you can get it."

But then again, I'm reminded of a quote from P.T. Barnum that begins, "There's a..."

In the end I envy his financial success while being put off by the commercial hucksterism.

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:25 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Peter Lik Article

Make sure you read the whole long article, because the most telling part may be near the end where they talk about a guy who bought a bunch of Peter Lik's prints and decided to research their resale value, or in other words, did he make a good investment.
The answer is a resounding NO!
Which seems to make the case that rather than the driver behind the numbers being art, the sales figures are the result of a pretty big hustle, and the art auction world ( the resale world ) is not impressed

Feb 22, 2015 at 07:10 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Peter Lik Article

A year ago I was working for a company in Colorado. The senior management was all excited because an article was going to come out about them from the New York Times, just like this one. Maybe it was even the same writer. So when it came out, in the Sunday business section, they were surprised, thinking it was going to be all praise and glory.... Not to be! The article was much like this one, an expose of the company and their questionable high pressure marketing scheme... They tried to say "awe shucks" but they were clearly not pleased...

I wonder if Peter Lik even will read this one. Not that it would make one bit of difference...

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Peter Lik Article

ben egbert wrote:
Agreed, I see lots of work on this forum that I like better...

Absolutely Ben. Just take a peak at the Landscape forum's ''Featured Threads'.

To put it plainly, Lik sucks balls.

Feb 23, 2015 at 02:44 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Peter Lik Article

To me, the take away message from that article is how Lik and his company is a money making machine. His art may be questionable, his sales methods may be questionable, his buyers investment wisdom may be questionable, but, bottom line, he is making lots of money. Yes, that's pretty one dimensional, but the article is a business story in the business section of a newspaper.

How many of those people at the Landscape forum's "Featured Threads" have the b***s to ask $6.5 million for one of their prints? Like it or not, that's why Lik got featured in that article.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:14 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Peter Lik Article

lara_ckl wrote:
To me, the take away message from that article is how Lik and his company is a money making machine. His art may be questionable, his sales methods may be questionable, his buyers investment wisdom may be questionable, but, bottom line, he is making lots of money. Yes, that's pretty one dimensional, but the article is a business story in the business section of a newspaper.

How many of those people at the Landscape forum's "Featured Threads" have the b***s to ask $6.5 million for one of their prints? Like it or not, that's why Lik got featured in that article.

I don't think there is anyone alive who believes Lik sold that print for anywhere close to $6.5 million.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Peter Lik Article

lara_ckl wrote:

I asked 6.6 million for a selfie. It's quite easy really...

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:52 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Peter Lik Article

Ben Horne wrote:
He's the Kanye West of Photography.

I was thinking he's the Thomas Kinkade of photography.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Feb 24, 2015 at 03:15 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Peter Lik Article

Ben Horne wrote:
I asked 6.6 million for a selfie. It's quite easy really...

Ben, I'll take it. But I want the story about it on you blog!

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:16 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Peter Lik Article

Jeffrey wrote:
It's all about marketing. Anyone can sell their stuff, no mater how typical or average it may be, to the masses by hiring a good marketing service. Why do you think there is so much junk out there in every aspect of consumerism? Marketing and advertising to the population that is incapable of telling the difference.

If it was that easy, I'm sure there would be more people on these forums all making millions.

Peter has that rare skill in both photography and marketing / sales.

Feb 26, 2015 at 09:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.