Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

I just did a quick test using an EF12 between my 1.4XIII and 2XIII with my 300/2.8L IS V1 on a 7DII:

I can focus on a distant object, however AF is lost.

Therefore, I will stay with my current setup with 1.4XIII+2XII behind a big white lens.

Maybe, I might even sell my 2XIII.

Thanks again

dan

riokid wrote:
Thank you everyone for your informative responses. Special mention goes to scalesusa for confirming my findings about stacking 1.4XIII with 2XII, also for difan for providing the insight about infinity focus with stacked 1.4XIII+EF12+2XIII.

It is kind of cloudy and foggy here in SoCal but I did try a handheld moonshot with my 7D2 + 1.4XIII + 2XII + 300/2.8L VI IS. i was able to get a recognizable image and AF worked, as long as I pre-focus the lens towards infinity. In the next few days, when we get a clear sky, I will bring this setup to a place
...Show more

Feb 25, 2015 at 02:21 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

riokid wrote:
I just did a quick test using an EF12 between my 1.4XIII and 2XIII with my 300/2.8L IS V1 on a 7DII:

I can focus on a distant object, however AF is lost.

Therefore, I will stay with my current setup with 1.4XIII+2XII behind a big white lens.

Maybe, I might even sell my 2XIII.

Thanks again

dan

Did you try the order, camera + 1.4x + 12mm + 2X +300mm?

Artie Morris had a blog post about this order working for another camera but did not work in the reverse way.
http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/10/19/suns-of-a-gunstacking-teleconverters-extenders-with-series-ii-super-telephoto-lenses-and-more/

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:03 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

I've pretty well convinced myself that I can use one TC and crop. I get better results that way.

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:16 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

I quickly glanced through the link you provided and I did not see a mention of AF working.

As I have stated in my post that you referenced: That setup works but NO AF.

My setup: 7D2+1.4XIII+2XII+300/2.8L IS VI works with slow but usable AF, even for a moon shot

dan

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
Did you try the order, camera + 1.4x + 12mm + 2X +300mm?

Artie Morris had a blog post about this order working for another camera but did not work in the reverse way.
http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/10/19/suns-of-a-gunstacking-teleconverters-extenders-with-series-ii-super-telephoto-lenses-and-more/

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:19 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

That is probably true, but it is outside the scope of the question in my original post

scalesusa wrote:
I've pretty well convinced myself that I can use one TC and crop. I get better results that way.

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:23 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

riokid wrote:
I quickly glanced through the link you provided and I did not see a mention of AF working.

As I have stated in my post that you referenced: That setup works but NO AF.

My setup: 7D2+1.4XIII+2XII+300/2.8L IS VI works with slow but usable AF, even for a moon shot

dan

This was the part he mentioned how it worked for him.

Back to the original problem: with the 1.4X on the lens I was unable to focus on the sun. Though I did not think that it would help I switched the order of the TCs putting the 2X on the lens and the 1.4X on the camera, voila, I was able to focus on the sun.

The sharpness at 1680mm (33.6X) is quite remarkable, due in part to excellent sharpness technique and the 600II’s great 4-stop IS system. Thanks to Markus Jais for inspiring this blog post with his questions in the comments section of BAA Bulletin #450 here.

Markus asked also about AF with stacked TCs. The current answer is that I am not sure. With some lenses stacked TCs would focus in bright sun in situations with decent contrast. I have not tried it with the Series III TCs and the Series II super-telephotos. I need to do some experimenting with the 300 f/2.8L IS II and stacked TCs. That combination should focus with a 1D X or a 5D III as it works out to f/8. The f/4 super-teles with stacked TCs works out to f/11; theoretically, AF should not be possible at f/11.

Feb 25, 2015 at 03:31 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

I think he used the word SHOULD, which is theoretical rather than factual

Also, I was reporting my observations with V1 of the 300/2.8L IS.

Thanks again for your responses.

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
I need to do some experimenting with the 300 f/2.8L IS II and stacked TCs. That combination should focus with a 1D X or a 5D III as it works out to f/8. The f/4 super-teles with stacked TCs works out to f/11; theoretically, AF should not be possible at f/11.

Feb 25, 2015 at 04:23 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

The f/4 super-teles with stacked TCs works out to f/11; theoretically, AF should not be possible at f/11.
----------------------------------------------
Camera only sees the TC on the lens so you retain AF when double stacking on f/8 AF bodies. Normally this is done with static subjects so Live-View AF also works and calibration is no longer a problem.

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:05 PM
difan

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

I noted different FL when sequence of 2x+12mm+1.4x or 1.4x+12mm+2x were used, the first showing longer FL - visualy the crop factor/magnification appeared larger. I only tried this at shorter distances. Would there be any explanation of this FL/magnification difference, as the only what had changed was the sequence of the elements?

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:17 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
Back to the original problem: with the 1.4X on the lens I was unable to focus on the sun. Though I did not think that it would help I switched the order of the TCs putting the 2X on the lens and the 1.4X on the camera, voila, I was able to focus on the sun.

Color me weird, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to take a telephoto lens and focus on the sun.

Feb 25, 2015 at 09:25 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

difan: Its related to the expansion of the rays from the Teleconverter expanding father with the extention tube. I am sure you noted more magnification when the 2X was in front of the the 12mm as opposed to the other way 'round.. yes?

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:57 PM
difan

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 1.4X III with 2X II stacking ?

kodakeos: you are right , 2x + EF12 + 1.4x results in slightly larger magnification, than 1.4x + EF12 + 2x. Possibly the distance of ET from the lens and camera body due to different size-length of extenders might also contribute.

Now, lets take some pictures

Feb 26, 2015 at 08:31 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.