New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 1D Mk iv

OSOFAST
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1D Mk iv

Hi All,
I just wanted to start my first post to the forum with a question. I just bought a 1D Mk iv, and my question is would any of you be willing to give me some pointers on using this camera? I had a Canon Rebel XTi, the shop was kind enough to trade my XTi and throw in a Sigma 70-300 lens because my old Canon 250 EFs would not fit the 1D.
Thanks so much.
Jeff

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1D Mk iv

Some thoughts on camera settings for the 1Dmk4 from Peter Read Miller.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2371

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:14 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1D Mk iv

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to FM.

Here's a recent thread that should fix you up.

"Tips and Tricks for use of 1D Mark IV", https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1321292

Cheers,
Jim

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1D Mk iv

Welcome to FM JEFF!

Wow, big jump there fella on bodies for sure. You do not mention what type of photography the intended use is so I will have to assume for the moment its sports action, which is was a major focus of this body.

First and foremost, and I cannot stress this enough, please do yourself a favor by reading the manual in its entirety MORE THAN ONCE. Going over it multiple times will greatly help in the absorption of all its details and capabilities, of which there is plenty!.

I suggest reviewing Peter Millers article on how he setup his MkIV as Yary mentions. It's a very good starting place.

Good Luck,
Matt

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1D Mk iv

OSOFast,
You've got a great camera there. It is a complex device and depending on what you are shooting there are a number of ways to set it up. As a first step I strongly recommend you study the manual throughly. This Canon Link has a number of tutorials that you might find useful. A more precise AF document is on a European server. I don't have that link and I tossed the article when I moved to the 1Dx. Perhaps someone can direct you to it. The 1DIV is a tank and works wonderfully. It's a couple of galaxies away from a Rebel.

Robert

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:47 AM
OSOFAST
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1D Mk iv

Wow, big jump there fella on bodies for sure. You do not mention what type of photography the intended use is so I will have to assume for the moment its sports action, which is was a major focus of this body.
schlotz yes a VERY big jump. I plan on a lot of motorsports, and team sports shooting. From my research the MK IV was the logical solution to my needs.
Yesterday after getting home I started reading the manual and familiarizing myself with the camera. It is way and beyond any camera I have used. I know I can get the camera to work just the learning curve is going to be fun!
I have already started reading the links that have been posted, as a matter of fact the manual is sitting here next to me now.
I went out this morning and took a few shots. When I hooked the camera up to the computer, it updated the drivers but would not download the photos for me...here we go.
Thanks,
Jeff

Feb 22, 2015 at 01:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1D Mk iv

OSOFAST wrote:
... When I hooked the camera up to the computer, it updated the drivers but would not download the photos for me...here we go.

You should use something like this,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845797-REG/Lexar_LRW307URBNA_Professional_USB_3_0_Dual_Slot.html

...it's a lot faster than the USB camera to computer connection. Plus, you can use the camera with a different card while another card is downloading.

Feb 22, 2015 at 02:11 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1D Mk iv

The Lexar also has upgradeable firmware, so you can keep current with newer technologies that get released.

Feb 22, 2015 at 02:37 PM
OSOFAST
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1D Mk iv

I went to Canon's site and downloaded all of the software up dates they had. The computer still shows a incompatible device, but if I open the EOS Utilities it will recognize the camera and I can take care of everything. I am looking at card readers to, and a new tower for the desktop. Yay me!! .
I have been playing with the camera and shooting with all sorts of settings seeing what effects they have on the picture quality. Yesterday I started using aperture priority and I really like how those pictures are coming out. With the adjustments I make in that set up I can see the changes in the pictures and I am now starting to understand them some.
Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1D Mk iv

… General Motorsports Photography … (the way I see it) …

… If you are going to shoot motor sports, I would suggest you shoot in manual exposure mode … AI Servo … and use back button focus with the shutter release button for the shutter only. Makes tracking a much smoother operation.
Early mornings … late afternoons are the best light, paddock shots best during lunch … but you shoot them when they run … Night shooting is a different animal.

When shooting in bright sun … start with low ISO settings so you can get the slower shutter speeds that show motion and for pans. Backgrounds can be blurred with wider apertures and or a slow shutter pans (1/80 to 1/30 … etc.).

Use the center focal point … with the outer assist points turned off. The outer assist points can “distract” focus ( rubber from tires … scattering gravel … drinking tubes and radio cables that move with “Gs”) … to help keep the exposure correct on your target … especially on bright sunny afternoons where over exposure can be a problem. This is how I solved a the problem after a conversation with a long time motorsports photographer who shot a lot of film.

Start with ISO 100 and maybe 1/160 and around f/11 for bright sunny midafternoon shooting. My shutter speed ranges from 1/30 to 1/320 with a preference for 1/125 and 1/100 for most shots and 1/100 to 1/30 for pans. Adjust to conditions and how you want your shot. (this is where practice … practice … practice … plays a role).

Learn to read and use the Histogram …

Focal length plays a part as does aperture and distance to car to keep the DoF you want.

When I shoot the paddock … I still shoot in manual exposure mode … focal points your option. I still use as low an ISO as possible to get shutters in the 1/200 to 1/320 and aperture f/2 to f/4 (just me), with a 50mm to 100mm lens. Most of my track shots are with a Canon 300 f/4L IS and full frame camera. Works with 1.3 and 1.6 bodies too.

Jefferson ...

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:25 PM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1D Mk iv

You have gotten some excellent advice. I second the back button suggestion, it is worth getting used to its use for action work.

I would also suggest getting a second battery for the camera, even though an OEM battery will last for MANY shots, you should have a spare, just in case.

You should find that the added weight of the 1D over the Rebel will help to balance the long lens nicely, but it will definitely feel heavy for awhile! Go out and practice, and have fun!

Feb 24, 2015 at 01:49 PM
OSOFAST
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1D Mk iv

General Motorsports Photography … (the way I see it) …
Thanks Jefferson, I will keep those settings handy.

I would also suggest getting a second battery for the camera, even though an OEM battery will last for MANY shots, you should have a spare, just in case.
Phototeacher When I first handled the IV I was surprised how not heavy it felt to me. I have large hands and even with a battery grip on my XTi it felt tiny.
The battery situation is all good, my camera had three Canon batteries, a double charger, and a A/C adaptor included in the purchase.
Jeff

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:34 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1D Mk iv

Jeff,
I have every 1 series cameras that Canon makes excepting the 1Dx. (maybe soon? )
The 1D Mk IV is absolutely fantastic.
Probably the single most bestest thing you can do for it is Lightroom 5. IMHO, forget all the Canon software and just get LR. Your experience will be much happier. There are no drivers to update.
Do update the firmware, however.

Feb 25, 2015 at 09:47 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.