New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · seed pods

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · seed pods

I frequently try to achieve a one-of-many feeling to an image, like a tree in a forest or a pile of acorns. I never can decide whether to go with a shallow DOF or a deep one. In this case I went with a shallow one, and my question is does it work? Does it give an impression that this is one of many?

Thanks much in advance,
Keith

seed pod(s) by beanp, on Flickr

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · seed pods

I does give the impressions of one of many. I might crop down a bit from the top to eliminate that light trap up there. It probably would have been nice to get all of the pod cut off at the bottom but that light down there is starting to intrude as well.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · seed pods

I think the key is going to be to have a DOF that isn't isolation as much as it is transition (to assist the connection). For me, this one is too much isolation.

I'd likely stop down from here ... but still not going to "everything in focus" kind of dof.

DOF preview will be your friend for this kind of shot.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · seed pods

Ben, I see what you mean about the light at top and bottom. I can crop the top, and perhaps if I crop the bottom more it won't look, as it does now, like I just missed the end of that one pod. Thanks.

Rusty, I think I hear you on 'isolation' vs transition or connection in DOF. Isolation turns the image into a story of one pod, so if the intent is to say "hey there are a whole lot of these things" then a little more DOF might do better. I hadn't thought of DOF in that way before so I'll have to experiment. Thanks.

k

Feb 21, 2015 at 01:08 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · seed pods

I edited the image, made it a vertical, and eliminated some of the bright areas at top and bottom. I can't change the focus though: that will have to wait until next fall when I can re-shoot.

seed pod(s) by beanp, on Flickr

k

Feb 21, 2015 at 05:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · seed pods

I think this helps the image, I might take off even more of the top. Leave just enough to supply a connection for the pod stem and then darken the white a bit.

Feb 21, 2015 at 05:31 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · seed pods

To my eyes, it's good but would have been better if the subject was more to the left of the frame to give it a more dynamic composition.

Feb 21, 2015 at 05:32 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · seed pods

More like this, maybe...

seed pod(s) copy by beanp, on Flickr

k

Feb 21, 2015 at 05:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · seed pods

Yep, good changes.

Feb 21, 2015 at 06:50 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · seed pods

Yup.

Feb 21, 2015 at 07:27 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · seed pods

Thanks to all.
k

Feb 21, 2015 at 07:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · seed pods

sorry but original and first rework show up on my screen as flickr posts, no longer available

Feb 21, 2015 at 08:55 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.