Back in the old days they had a holder for macro lenses
Whats available these days
Thanks for your assistance

Feb 21, 2015 at 09:46 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slide and Negative Copying

I got stuck with the task of digitizing my wife's "family photo archive" which consisted of 90% Kodachrome slides and 10% undetermined 35mm negatives. (There were at least 3K pieces in the collection which my wife winnowed down to ~800.) There weren't any medium format. After futzing with it for a while, I bought a Plustek 8000 (~$250 as I remember). It had a 5-6 image/slide holder that had to be fed one at a time thru the device. I tried several high end scan softwares but ended up using Hamerick's Vuescan (Mac only). Careful organization resulted in a by year by decade collection that fit on a DVD. It took awhile so I would do so many a day and come back later for more. (I doubt I'd be willing to do it again for any reason even my own slides

There are commercial services that can do the work and there are also much more expensive film scanners that automate much of the process. Don't have an answer on the medium format negatives.

Robert

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slide and Negative Copying

Camera, macro lens, and lightbox, is much faster than scanning. You can buy slide duplicators for 35 mm slides that fit on the front of the lens, but unfortunately I haven’t seen one recently that telescoped. Without being able to telescope, it is difficult to get 1:1.

I have used a sheet of glass (or acrylic), sheet of backlit film, and flash, with the camera mounted on a tripod with a geared centre column. Some backlit film has a strange regular grain, you can get this out of focus by taping the film to the underside of the glass.

You get about 4000 ppi with 35 mm slides and a 22 megapixel sensor, obviously less for the 6 x 6.

Brian A

Feb 21, 2015 at 02:23 PM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slide and Negative Copying

I bought one of these and tested it for 1:1 (yes, using 60mm). I haven't put it through a full workflow yet to test for IQ, which is more a function of light and camera. There are solutions to use a flash or other lighting. Use search here on FM or google...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37453-REG/Nikon_3213_ES_1_Slide_Copying_Adapter.html

Feb 24, 2015 at 08:15 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slide and Negative Copying

I'm building a Frankenstein slide copier for testing. I have a 5DII and a mint Vivitar Bellows for FD mount Canons that I bought for $5.00 at a garage sale.

I've received a FD to EOS converter (no lens, just mechanical). I've also ordered a 52 to FD lens reversing ring. I'll use a Nikkor 150mm enlarging lens. It is a superb flat field lens. I'll also test with a 100mm Canon FD. All this will be compared to scans made with an Epson V700.

I'll report back soon.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.