Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

Archive 2015 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

ELSELS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

Hello:

I have the Canon 1Ds Mark II (Full Frame) camera system.

I have "accumulated" a few lenses for the camera.

I have "somewhat" been curious, and considering (nothing decided yet, one way
or the other), of switching from Canon to another system, trying new things.

Just curious, as to what other Canon owners / users - might have also considered the
changing systems, to various candidates: Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Pentax, etc.. and why?

Any Pros and Cons in your replacing the "as best as one can" - equivalent lenses for the
NEW (other) system?

Thanks for the contributions,

Have a nice day...

Ed

~ ~ ~

Feb 20, 2015 at 03:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I augment with a Fujifilm X-trans body with a few lenses. It is sometimes better than a large DSLR system — for street photography, for travel, some environmental portraiture, and similar. The Fujifilm lenses are absolutely top-notch.

However, this systems does not exactly "replace" my Canon system, which I still use for landscape, wildlife, much of the environmental portraiture, and more.

Dan

(Added later: I also plan to get a 5DS, probably the non-AA version, when it is released.)

Edited on Feb 20, 2015 at 04:20 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2015 at 03:43 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I augment with a Fujifilm X-trans body with a few lenses. It is sometimes better than a large DSLR system — for street photography, for travel, and similar. The Fujifilm lenses are absolutely top-notch.

However, this systems does not exactly "replace" my Canon system.

Dan

Same.

If I had replaced my Canon with the Fuji I would have had regrets. As an add-on system it's been fun, and even at times productive.

Feb 20, 2015 at 03:46 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I augmented my Canon setup with a Sony A7R specifically for my landscape photography as it can still use my existing Canon mount lenses. I have also added a Fuji X100 camera as my travel...be with me everywhere camera. I have zero regrets in expanding my camera setup outside of the Canon realm.

Feb 20, 2015 at 03:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

Most of my shooting is with Canon 1D-series and 6D bodies. I use a Fujifilm X-E2 with 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS lenses for travel, along with a SL1 and 70-200/4L IS. I use a Fujifilm X100s for all kinds of things.

Later this year, I plan on adding either a 5Ds or Sony A7R II for scenic photography, depending if the A7R II is released by summer, and what it looks like.

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:13 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I take whatever tools that works better for me... I sold off most heavy FF and 1.3 canon bodies, still keep all L fast primer and 40D. Right now I prefer all around A7/A7r and mirror less lenses setup. Still keep my eyes open for better DR and small package canon full frame body to replace my 40D. I hope canon release first flag FF mirror less soon since I have found mirror less form is the best precision in metering and focusing tool for my work.

Edited on Feb 20, 2015 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:23 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

Just spent the last year with the Sony A7/A7s, after shooting for years with the 40d, 5d2 and 5d3. Went there for a weight reduction and a bump in IQ. I'm coming back to a 5d3 as my main system, the Sony ergonomics and UI just aren't working for me, despite the amazing images. For me its going to have to be a second/backup system for now.

Sony's file structure on the card is downright stupid too, different folders for stills and video, format a card or switch cards and everything reverts to 00001, so if you use multiple cards in a shoot you have multiple copies of the same file names. Its most annoying with video (which I shoot a lot of) as I like to keep all my files in the same project folder for editing.

Hybrid AF's are becoming the norm with mirrorless cameras, and they're really good, but I find the 5d3 system better for my shooting style. Much easier to move the focus points around and change settings while looking through the viewfinder. Many of the new F1.2/1.4 primes, 70-200 zooms, and 16-50-ish APS-c zooms are as big and expensive as their DSLR counterparts. So for fast glass you're putting a DSLR size lens on a tiny body or adding a grip to balance it out. My A7s/grip/70-200 wasn't much smaller/lighter than the 5d3. If I'm going to lug the weight around I might as well have a better shooting experience.

I am keeping the A7 body for now to use with legacy glass and maybe adapt EF lenses. Live view and focus peaking are better than any camera I've used. With the 28-70 I can use it as my standard zoom lens as well. Everyone's needs are different and they are clearly working for lots of people, YMMV.

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:29 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

Added also the Sony A7R to my existing Canon gear for mainly three reasons: (a) more compact camera size which is advantageous for travel and hiking, (b) use of MF lenses including smaller rangefinder lenses, (c) better sensor performance.

Focal length replacements:
Canon 17-40/4 L --> C/V 21/1.8 rangefinder lens
Canon 35/1.4 L --> C/V 35/1.2 II rangefinder lens
Canon 14/2.8 II L --> C/V 12/5.6 rangefinder lens
Canon 50/1.4 --> Minolta MD 50/1.4 SLR lens

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:35 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I've never switched but I've had the chance to use other systems on a regular basis for a long time (over the last several years).

The main thing that gets me is the user interface and configurability / customization. Canon's menu system and interface is not the best, I've always had a few misgivings about it. For instance when controlling speedlights (one or multiples) from the camera. But you really come to appreciate just how "good" Canon's interface and usability is once you try other cameras where the configurability options are pretty limited and you have to dig through mazes of menus to try to find the one setting to make the camera operate the way you want it too. So you really start to miss the simple things like Canon's "My Menu" and the custom modes on the dial like C1, C2, C3 that can save and recall just about any type of setup you save to them.

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:39 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

joychris wrote:
Sony's file structure on the card is downright stupid too, different folders for stills and video, format a card or switch cards and everything reverts to 00001, so if you use multiple cards in a shoot you have multiple copies of the same file names. Its most annoying with video (which I shoot a lot of) as I like to keep all my files in the same project folder for editing.

You can change this in the camera settings that the numbering is continuous no matter which SD card you are using. You find it under "File Number" --> Series (instead of Reset).

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:41 PM
kparseg
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I personally would not consider switching from Canon, as I like its gear and customer support. Even unlikely, I may be adding a second system to Canon at some point. Since I do mostly portraiture, I'm thinking about medium format cameras (Leica S or Pentax 645z). I don't think Nikon or Sony's gear have any advantage over Canon in terms of portraiture.

1dsii is a nice but a very old camera that lacks lots of options available today even in Rebels. And you didn't mention how it limits your skills. If I were you, I would think what you're shooting mostly and then pick up either coming 5div (hopefully it'll be amazing) or 5ds series.

Good luck!

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:42 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

Access wrote:
So you really start to miss the simple things like Canon's "My Menu" and the custom modes on the dial like C1, C2, C3 that can save and recall just about any type of setup you save to them.

Yes, I also miss sometimes the "My Menu" setting in the A7 series which allows a pretty good function customization in my Canon 5D MkIIs. But I never missed the C-buttons - I never even used them on my Canon cameras because I simply forget what I had C1, C2, and C3 set for.....but that's a personal preference.

Feb 20, 2015 at 04:46 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

Retrofocus for me the Cx buttons are huge. At the beginning of the day, I can design two or three setups that are my 'best guess' for what I'm going to be using that day. Then I have instant access to all those setups, and I can fine-tune them throughout the day.

Plus in situations where I am pressed for time and can't decide which set I should be using, I can easily speed-shoot through them all in about a second, and choose the shot that worked best in post.

There's no way I could do anything like that without the Cx buttons.

Feb 20, 2015 at 05:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I would never "switch", but as several other photographers said, I occasionally augment my Canon system with other cameras. Currently, I am using and comparing the Nikon D800e with several manual focus lenses (mostly), just to see how much more information is available from higher MP sensor. I will probably sell all the Nikon stuff a while after the new 5DsR comes out. I like the DSLR experiences, so have no interest in the smaller cameras (except for S110 or G1X) or Rube Goldberg-style Sony a7R with Canon lenses. I prefer the 1D-series, or D800e/5D2 with added grip.

I'd recommend you move up to a newer and Canon body (5D3 would be good if you want improvement now, or hold on to get the 5Ds). And don't forget -- highest quality lenses help make the highest quality photos -- and Canon has the best selection of lenses.

Edited on Feb 20, 2015 at 05:24 PM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2015 at 05:22 PM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I augmented my 1DIV with another 1DIV and a 5DIII
I am sure that there are some things about Nikon which are better but Canon has served me well for many years. I have over 50k of gear and I know how it all works. I don't have any interest in learning a new interface.
with Canon or Nikon you get great AF, great IQ, great functionality.

I think that a good analogy is asking if you are a trader or an investor. A trader will make quick trades to take advantage of a momentary spike in value while an investor will ride out the spikes with faith that their company will rise as well. In the long run, both of the aforementioned companies always has. I find it much easier and less stressful to be an investor

Cheers
Peter

Feb 20, 2015 at 05:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

Access wrote:
Retrofocus for me the Cx buttons are huge. At the beginning of the day, I can design two or three setups that are my 'best guess' for what I'm going to be using that day. Then I have instant access to all those setups, and I can fine-tune them throughout the day.

Plus in situations where I am pressed for time and can't decide which set I should be using, I can easily speed-shoot through them all in about a second, and choose the shot that worked best in post.

There's no way I could do anything like that without the
...Show more

I can understand that those work well for you if you often use same settings and lenses in similar shooting scenarios. Since I use my cameras mostly in Av and M modes, the C buttons are not very helpful for me. I mostly change exposure settings, aperture and ISO number, that's it. If I need any other changes, I go directly in the camera menu (speedlite functions for example for flash photography). In fact I never even thought about it until now that those C buttons are missing in the A7 series - never missed them .

Feb 20, 2015 at 05:38 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

retrofocus wrote:
You can change this in the camera settings that the numbering is continuous no matter which SD card you are using. You find it under "File Number" --> Series (instead of Reset).

I have it set that way, it may be a video only issue as my raws show the actual shutter count. But a significant portion of my shooting is video, so this drives me nuts on a daily basis. I've had two other Sony cameras and they did the same thing. The file structure on the card is moronic too. Little things like that have just worn me down and I no longer have the patience to futz around with it.

Feb 20, 2015 at 06:04 PM
secondclaw
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

I'm using Sony a7r for all landscape and architecture photography now (better DR, resolution, and carry weight), using canon lenses. 5d2 only used for wildlife now (which is rare), so 90℅ of my shooting is with Sony.

Feb 20, 2015 at 06:20 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

joychris wrote:
I have it set that way, it may be a video only issue as my raws show the actual shutter count. But a significant portion of my shooting is video, so this drives me nuts on a daily basis. I've had two other Sony cameras and they did the same thing. The file structure on the card is moronic too. Little things like that have just worn me down and I no longer have the patience to futz around with it.

Only took a short video once, so I never saw this issue. Possible that this is a video-related issue.

Feb 20, 2015 at 06:26 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Curious? - Switching from Canon to other systems, why? Regrets?

As a victim of chronic switcher syndrome, I can tell you it is not for the faint of heart and I would not recommend it. Pick up a cheaper and less addictive habit like crack cocaine.

I was a Nikon guy from film (FE to F4s and F100) and then digital for D1H, D100, D2H, and the straw that broke that camels back was the D2X. Bad focus, bad color curves - Grrrrrr Frustration creeps in (Damn that frustration!!)

Experiment with Canon 20D and 100-400 aided by rebates. I like output of 20D and 100-400 better than D2X with a 500mm AFS for bird photography. The switch is on. Trade some stuff sell other stuff now own a kit with 40D, 1D IV, 1DsIII 800mm 500mm ........ I am very happy with Canon. Camera are great, lenses are wonderful... Life is good No real regrets except. Nikon 17-35 was way better than Canon 17-40 or 16-35, and the 200mm Micro was awesome. Zeiss 21mm takes the sting off the WA, and Sigma 150 is OK replacement

Enter change (Damn that change thing!) Canon announces new lenses. I Really want the 500mmII and 600mm II to replace the 800mm and 500mm. Excited about light weight and versatility of 600 with without 1.4X and shorter MFD. I sell the 500mm.... I am on wait list for new lenses. Enter 1 earthquake and one nuclear meltdown that greatly delays the launch.

That frustration thing creeps in again (Double damn that frustration thing!!) And now more change. Nikon announces new D800(E) with 36MP and no AA filter. (Double damn that change thing!!)

Aided by access to a cheap 500mm VR and access to a D800, I run the experiment. Drat and double drat.. I love the detail and DR of that combo for birds. Sell all the Canon stuff, and buy all Nikon stuff. Love D800 (E) for detail and DR. There are a few more regrets on this go round. I miss 21mm ZE, and the 16-35 VR is OK, not great but OK. I miss the 100-400 IS, and the 400 f5.6. I hate the weight and backwards foot on the Nikon 600mm VR. The D4 is not a great camera (YMMV). While I love the D800(E) DR and 36MP, the D4 is not as good as 1D IV was for BIF. I also miss the color and contrast curves of Canon in landscapes. Probably a function of my poor PP skills. Then some left AF issues and service issue. Frustration creeps in again (triple damn that frustration!!).

I run yet another experiment Canon 1Dx and 600mm II vs Nikon D4 and 600mm VR.

I love Canon and switch back to Canon. This time round the Excellent 16-35 IS, and 100-400 II have made it a pretty nice trip. I still miss the Nikon DR and 36MP and 200 micro for insects (The blacks in bumble bees are to die for) but I am pretty happy.

THE MORAL TO THIS LONG STORY>>>>

1) Avoid frustration. Push away from the computer and get out and shoot

2) Eschew change. Push away from the computer and get out and shoot

3) Avoid experiments. Unless you are an R&D scientist (which sadly I am) don't run experiments as they rarely cure diseases, and they frequently lead to total cash-ectomies.

Wow that was cathartic

Bill

Feb 20, 2015 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.