Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

Robert E
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

Greentoe is great, I got my D750 thru them. But as cohenfive says, the discounts coming out of Japan are getting to be very attractive. After looking at the reviews of the deep discounters here I think I would take a chance ordering thru eBay and getting it from Japan. The strength of the U.S. dollar and lack of transferable US warranty makes it more attractive today.

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:32 PM
KaBudokan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

Just curious about Greentoe - what percentage discounts are most of you getting through there?

Feb 22, 2015 at 05:02 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

I just made an inquiry, and the best quote I received was just over $2k for a d750. That was shipped and after a 5% promotion they seem to run pretty often. If you want to buy new from a us dealer, this is probably the way to go right now, at least when they run their specials.

Feb 24, 2015 at 03:48 PM
Pyrat
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

Bought a 610 from DigitalRev (not the deepest discounter, but HK based) andhad zero difficulty. Certainly wasn't packaged like a tier 1 domestic retailer, but it worked, and continues to. Just about over what would have been my warranty period, and sofar, sogood.

Feb 24, 2015 at 05:53 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

I don't see an issue with buying from a reputable deep discount retailer with excellent feedback. The USA warranty on bodies is only 1 year anyway, and some have at least a 14-30 day return policy, so you are covered if something is immediately wrong. Beyond that, Nikon will still service the camera if there is a recall (i.e. D600 oil). So, as long as you are buying a camera that has been out for a while with no known problems beyond any recalls that may exist, there isn't much risk. Camera equipment failures aren't that common either, especially if you look after your stuff. Is it ideal? No, but I also don't think it's nearly the gamble that some people make it out to be, and the discounts can be quite heavy (Like the current D750 + 24-120 deal).

It's also not like they are trying to scam anyone (I'm referring to the reputable sites with a track record, obviously). They are offering you a known product for significantly less money without much warranty - everything is known up front, and you know what you're getting into if you agree to purchase. It's basically just a gamble with the warranty (which doesn't always come through anyway).

Feb 24, 2015 at 07:00 PM
pwschladen
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

Robert E wrote:
wileycoyote: even B&H got caught recently with their hand in the cookie jar on the Hasselblad Stellar sale, when they removed the enclosed LR 5 cd from the package. They got caught because it was listed as being included inside the Stellar manual.

I would like to think this was a mistake by B&H rather a a deliberate dip into the cookie jar.

A year or so ago I was surprised to receive a letter from them about 2 weeks after returning a camera - inside was a note and an SD card I had inadvertently left in the camera. No big deal but to me it indicates that they try to do the right thing. Of course one swallow does not a summer make.

Mar 09, 2015 at 04:18 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Anyone purchased from deep discount websites?

I was thinking of getting one of those Stellars. Well not really, but that comment made me look!

Mar 09, 2015 at 04:38 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.