Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Access
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Hopefully a simple question for like minded individuals.

I know must of us fall somewhere between the two rather than one extreme or the other. But if you had to choose, for your own photography, which drives you more?

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:23 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

My photos needs to meet my own vision and standards before they make their way out of my computer. If others like the photos as well...that's a bonus.

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Both. I really enjoy the process of taking photos. I also like sharing them with family and friends. I also like selling them. I even like being hired to do specific photographic jobs. It's all good.

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

+1 @ Chez & Jim,

My preference is toward my own ... I'll mostly leave the "for others" ... to others.

Feb 19, 2015 at 03:03 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

... Photography helps keep me occupied and out of trouble … at least “criminal” trouble … except for that time … never mind. Photography lets me put my spin on the World and Fred lets the World see it. (Sorry Fred)

So, I guess you could say I shoot for me for the most part. I’ve been asked several times to shoot for others but it’s a rare occasion when I accept.

Jefferson ...

Feb 19, 2015 at 03:20 PM
mthowell

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Others ask me to shoot for them, but within that realm, I shoot for myself. It's my vision of what they want shot..be it their family, a day in the life, their wedding/engagement. It's for me, that I shoot, but it's for others that gives the target. It's their event, their day, but my vision, my artistry.

Feb 19, 2015 at 03:47 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Both. To shoot concerts I have to maintain press credentials. I shoot portraits for friends, family, and referrals when they come to me. Otherwise it is for fun on trips, vacations, or just around town exploring with friends.

Feb 19, 2015 at 03:54 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Myself, family, friends, in that order. A photography book long ago said that most people take pictures just to document their life and it (the book) was going to teach me instead to create art. Hmmm. I still photograph in order to document the places I've been and the nature, wildlife, and people I've gotten to know. But at least I try to capture what I see as artfully as I can. Its worth it to me to buy and carry the best equipment I can afford and know how to use it. And I try to travel to places that inspire my photography. Win, win. I'm rewarded now with over 40 years worth of beautiful or interesting imagery that takes me back to some great experiences. What a great hobby its been and continues to be!

Feb 19, 2015 at 03:59 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Honestly, I shoot for both. I've been a photojournalist shooting newspaper, magazine and wire assignments for 30+ years and I still get a kick out of almost every assignment. The nice thing about shooting for others is the infinite variety of subjects that I would never dream of.

Feb 19, 2015 at 05:12 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Primarily I shoot to share. My customers want photos of every stage of their car restoration to share with their friends & in the summer I'm the volunteer covering most of the radio control flying events in the area. The clubs have come to depend on my albums when trying to seek sponsors.

Feb 19, 2015 at 05:23 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

I mainly shoot for myself: travel, landscape, street and music videos. I try to avoid shooting friends and family but get roped into to it now and gain. No gigs save for a handful of lucky stock sales.

Feb 19, 2015 at 05:24 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Chez & Jim,

My preference is toward my own ... I'll mostly leave the "for others" ... to others.

Same here...

Feb 19, 2015 at 05:38 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

mthowell wrote:
Others ask me to shoot for them, but within that realm, I shoot for myself. It's my vision of what they want shot..be it their family, a day in the life, their wedding/engagement. It's for me, that I shoot, but it's for others that gives the target. It's their event, their day, but my vision, my artistry.

Very similar for me. I shoot for others but they know they are getting my vision and my standards.

Feb 19, 2015 at 06:04 PM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Myself, a very narrow photographic interest and limited technique. I've respectfully had to turn down others, to spare them from disappointment

Feb 19, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

Priority would go to personal projects.

There is a challenge in shooting on commission, but it is often very stressful. Primarily because 'they' don't how dark and ugly 'something/the subject' is... and turning a sow's ear into a silk purse isn't always possible.

ggreene wrote:
Very similar for me. I shoot for others but they know they are getting my vision and my standards.

For sure. I have not hesitated in referring jobs to friends whose cheery, 'stock photo' aesthetic suits a job better.

Because of this:

Jon Tainton wrote:
I've respectfully had to turn down others, to spare them from disappointment

Feb 19, 2015 at 07:38 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

For my own photography, I shoot for myself. If I shot for others, then I might as well just disappear.

Feb 19, 2015 at 07:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

When I shoot Nikon it is for others, but Canon is for myself.

EBH

Feb 19, 2015 at 07:58 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

EB-1 wrote:
When I shoot Nikon it is for others, but Canon is for myself.

EBH

I find your comment interesting. Care to expand?

Feb 19, 2015 at 08:07 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

If I had to choose one, I would choose for myself.

Though I would like to think on the occasions I am shooting for others, there is some of myself in there.

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:06 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photograph for yourself or photograph for others?

It has to be for me! It's all about what makes me happy and I strive to be better for myself. I love to share my photos and I am thrilled when I get a positive response but if I don't love the photography I do, then the rest of it doesn't matter.

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:45 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.