New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Cosinon lens

rkonrad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cosinon lens

I was wondering if someone had experience with s Cosinon Auto tomioka 55mm f/1.2 m42? There seems to be very little information available - as far as I can see. I'm also hoping to find if it can be adapter to an ef/eos mount. I'm still keen on getting my hands on a Canon fl 55 1.2 but considering $ I thought I'd broaden my horizons....

Feb 19, 2015 at 01:34 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cosinon lens

I have the Cosina 55/1.2 MC (made in Japan). There are a few variations on this lens (optically identical) .... almost all ending in '...inon' and all of course from Tomioka. I'd imagine yours is an earlier version of mine (mine is in PK mount and I now use it with an adapter on the Sony A7).

I love this lens though don't use anywhere near as much as I should ! Great build quality, very solid, very sharp too but the whole 'raison d'être' for this lens is to shoot it wide open, especially for the amazing things it does to specular highlights

Feb 19, 2015 at 01:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cosinon lens

I track the prices of four versions or brands of this lens in the Lens Price Database,

Cosina Revuenon 55/1.2
Tomioka Auto Tominon/Auto Revuenon 55/1.2
Tomioka Auto Yashinon 55/1.2 (Porst Color Reflex)
Yashica Yashica Lens ML 55/1.2

The prices generally go from about $400 to north of $700, with the Auto Tominon often coming in at about $1000 in near mint condition. I haven't used one of them, and don't know much about variations between these four lenses/versions, but they're highly regarded.

You can easily adapt these M42 lenses for use on EOS bodies with a relatively inexpensive M42 to EOS adapter. If the lens has an Auto/Man switch for aperture control, then you don't need a "rimmed" adapter to depress the aperture control pin.

You can also find Pentax-K mount versions of these lenses (at least some of them). They can also be adapted for Canon FF bodies, but you have to remove the K-mount aperture control lever and lever shield (i.e. perform an aperture leverectomy).

Ref. Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:16 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cosinon lens

Jim - just as an FYI, the Porst is a different design, though similar output, to the Cosina/Revuenon lenses.

Feb 19, 2015 at 05:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cosinon lens

Thanks, Kevin. Always good to get the right info. Is the Porst different from the Auto-Yashinon? I have them sharing a listing because I couldn't find any significant differences between them, in the few listings of them that I've seen.

Feb 19, 2015 at 06:14 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cosinon lens

Here is more about the lenses:
http://www.tomioka.de/tomioka_e_main.htm

It is wide open soft, but the bokeh is special eg painterly when the right conditions occur. I have to try it on A7R also. This one was taken on EP1, wide open:

http://c.img-dpreview.com/0154264-01.jpg

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:56 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cosinon lens

Great link from Serhan there.

I posted this a couple of years ago, note the optical formulae and 9 to 8 blades :

I clipped this info below when I used Pentax. I know of the Revuenon but can not remember off-hand what I heard other than where it is mentioned below ! I bought the Cosina 55/1.2 and would buy it again in a flash, it does stupendous things with specular highlights ! The Porst is reputed to be 'dreamier'.

The lens company Tomioka, of Japan, originally designed the 55mm f/1.2 lens for Yashica (whose line of lenses were called Yashinon) in M42 mount. They later went on to produce it for Cosina (Cosinon), Revue (Revuenon), Chinar (Chinon, do you see a trend here?) and with Tomioka's own brand name...wait for it...Tominon. Apparently they also built them for Vivitar (serial # beginning with 84), but I've only ever seen it for sale once. As far as I know, it was never produced in P/KA mount for Pentax, just P/K, but Tomioka did build a 'P' version for Ricoh (Rikenon). I believe Tomioka transitioned off the M42 mount to bayonet mounts in 1974.

The Tomioka 55mm f/1.2 has the following specs:

Focal length: 55mm
Filter size: 58mm
Diaphragm blades: 9
Aperture range: f/1.2 to f/16
Optical formula: 7 elements in 6 groups
Closest focus: 60cm

The Porst Color Reflex 55mm f/1.2 is a different lens, and was (bizarrely) manufactured by Cosina. On some lenses it is branded simply as "Color Reflex". This lens has the following specs:

Focal length: 55mm
Filter size: 55mm
Diaphragm blades: 8
Aperture range: f/1.2 to f/22
Optical formula: 6 elements in 4 groups
Closest focus: 60cm
Weight : 350g

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:32 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cosinon lens

I have an early build 'Tomioka Auto Chinon' 55/1.2 and also the Canon FL 55/1.2, the latter being my second ever alt lens purchase (and the start of ruination!).

Both are most likely for sale due to changing orientation.

I haven't used the Tomioka enough but had used the Canon a lot in its time. I should add that whatever M42 adapter I bought (can't remember if it was for Canon EF or Sony E, the large rear element movement means that adapters will require turning to remove excess flange material, or a suitable adapter found without that issue (that element protrusion doesn't arise at short focus distances).

Jim - I could not find the references to Tomioka/Chinon lenses in your database or PDF - assistance requested!

Links to both lenses are here:

Tomioka 55/1.2 M42: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8XBNZm

Canon FL55/1.2: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8kSnrR

Tomioka (Auto Chinon) 55/1.2 and Canon FL55/1.2

Tomioka 55/1.2 at f1.2 on Sony A7R, 1/6500, ISO100

Tomioka 55/1.2 at f5.6 on Sony A7R, 1/100, ISO100 (ambient light very different from the f1.2 example)

Mar 02, 2015 at 11:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.