Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

MichaelTapp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

I am shooting some skyline shots that are going to be used printed out on duratran plexi and used as fake windows. The printer said that we need to deliver a 300dpi JPEG or PSD file. I think the final print is going to be around 10 feet wide.

My question is do you think that 1 shot from a 5d(5760x3240) will be a high enough resolution or should I shoot a panorama and stick it together in post? Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Feb 19, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

You don't need anywhere near 300 dpi for a print that big, even if that's what you printer requested. Actually, they should know better than just give you the standard resolution requirements for the Duratrans. You should be able to get by with 75-100 dpi at final size and have it look great. I strongly advise that you do a test print of a section at full res to see. As to whether you need to do a multi shot stitch, the answer is, it depends - on the subject, the viewing distance, etc. You may be able to get away with something like a three hundred percent res and then judiciously adding softened grain through an inverted luminosity mask to smooth out the digital-ness of the image.

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:29 PM
MichaelTapp

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

As to whether you need to do a multi shot stitch, the answer is, it depends - on the subject, the viewing distance, etc.

Thank you for your advice. The subject is going to be a skyline during twilight. The windows are going to be on a tv set. The video cameras on the set will probably be about 20 feet away from the windows. The tv cameras will be zooming in at times but the background will be more out of focus on the tight shots since they will be on longer focal lengths.

So do you think a single shot will do it in this scenario? I am going to check in with the printer again about the dpi. Thanks again!

Feb 19, 2015 at 02:40 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

That's probably the least demanding of output media. If it were me, and I was going to go out and shoot it, I'd probably do the stitch just to be on the safe side, if that's a viable option from where you are shooting from.

Feb 19, 2015 at 04:13 PM
MichaelTapp

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

Thanks Peter! Would you shoot 17 photos in portrait mode in order to get 300 ppi for 120 inches? <- I think that's the right math, but that would be overlapping more than 1/3 for each shot.

Feb 19, 2015 at 05:07 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

I still wouldn't worry so much about 300 dpi, as it's really not necessary for a print that large. What are the dimensions of the final image? Will one row be enough or will you need two rows? I did a very long pano from about 35 or 40 verticals a couple of years ago, and while it's very impressive from a technical standpoint, it was a pain in the ass to cobble together. Just remember that everything slows down even on a fast machine when working with multi gig files.

Feb 19, 2015 at 06:06 PM
MichaelTapp

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

Thanks again Peter. I just found out that they will be combining (6) 4x12 foot flats to make a 24 foot wide by 12 foot tall background. I guess they want each 4x12 flat to be 300 dpi(even if it is overkill). So that would mean a whole lot of images stitched together. By my math it would be 15 images wide in landscape mode. <-Which sounds like overkill.

Feb 19, 2015 at 06:31 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

It is overkill and just figuring out all those files is a big job in itself, but if it's for a tv show there maybe they have a decent budget. It's going to take quite a while to put it all together. And do you build one ginormous psb file that's fifty gigs (or whatever) and then cut it up into sections, or just hand them a drive with one huge file. Honestly, this sounds like at least a week's worth of post production, or very close to it.

So each panel is 1.74 gb in 8bit RGB. Times six plus layers. Okay.

Feb 19, 2015 at 08:24 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

It sounds like maybe the printer requires a 300dpi image. You can either provide a lower resolution image like 100dpi and let the printer driver uprez the image to what the printer needs (300dpi ) or you can uprez yourself using some of the available applications or like you suggest shoot multiple images and create a higher Rez panarama.

Personally I would shoot the panorama and get a higher resolution image. If that is not possible, then I would uprez your single image to 300 dpi and sharpen that uprezed image before printing. I've done tests which shows it's better to uprez the image to the printers native dpi than letting the printer driver do the uprezing.

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:26 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

Sometimes you can discuss this with your client. I'd want the client to see what a 5D image looks like at that size and make sure in advance that it would meet their expectations. In fact, for some uses the 5D image could go that large, but if the client is expecting something with more resolution they might not be pleased.

If I knew that I was shooting a skyline for 10' wide images I would sure try to shoot them as stitched panoramas. Additional advantage: You'll have higher quality images that you might be able to sell/license to other clients in the future.

Dan

Feb 19, 2015 at 09:46 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

The final size of this, according to Michael is 12 x 24 feet in six sections, but because of the intended use, resolution may or may not be any issue. Mostly out of focus in the background of a tv set - y'know, probably like Conan.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM
jjnyc

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

Most likely going to be printed on a Lambda or lightjet, Their normal rez is 200dpi. 100 dpi is more than enough for TV.

Feb 20, 2015 at 07:33 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

Can't be a Lightjet but might be a Lambda or Chromira. Lightjet is limited to 6 ft x 10 ft, while the other two can print 50 inches wide by however long.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

I am still not clear about the final size of the print, and don't have any experience with images anywhere near 10 to 24 feet.

That said there isn't any way I would try to do this with a single image. This looks like a project that will require thought and planning with a boat load of images to stitch.

If the final print is to be 12 X 24 feet, a rough guesstimate suggests if taking the image in landscape orientation with 1/3 overlap one would need about 22 images for the length and 18 images in height. That works out to be 396 images.

You could of course choose to cut that in half, but is still 198 images.

I hope you have a very fast computer, and more RAM than a Dodge dealer, as well as a really stout tripod and high end pano head with the patience of Jobe.

Sam

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM
MichaelTapp

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

Thanks for all of your help guys.

I got the images they used to print the windows for the 4 foot wide by 12 foot tall flats on the last set. The resolution they used to print for a 4x12 foot flat is 1945 x 2904. 300 dpi was the wrong info! 5d in landscape mode is 5760x3240.

The largest stretch will be 3 flats wide. So for that one it will need to be a resolution of 3890 x 2904. For the 3 flat stretchI am planning on shooting 3 images in portrait mode(overlapping by 1/3) and stitching them together. That will produce an image around 8000 wide stitched together. Thanks again for all of your advice!

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Resolution for Duratran print: 1 shot from 5d mkiii or panorama?

Minor correction: 5DMKIII is 5760 x 3840

Feb 20, 2015 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.