(5) D4s + Nikon 200-400
(6) D810 + .......

Are we helping?

Feb 21, 2015 at 05:50 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help Re Long Lens Setup Needed

Thanks everyone. I'll see what I can get from the rental store. Following the second round of input, I'll try to get the D810 and 200-400 first and in case they are out of stock, another combination. After all, there are plenty to choose from .

I'll keep everyone posted.

Feb 21, 2015 at 07:37 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help Re Long Lens Setup Needed

Don't forget to also rent a TC14EIII to go on the 200-400 if required !

Feb 23, 2015 at 01:23 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help Re Long Lens Setup Needed

OK, guys, I need more advice, because I'm on plan B with very little time before my trip (basically one more day and I have to work, too). Probably I missed the fine print hidden somewhere on the website, but that rental company just told me they don't rent expensive gear (e.g. long lenses) to individuals, but only to corporations. The other rental companies in town all seem to have quite complicated registration processes that take multiple days to complete and those that don't, have only cheap gear .

Now, I have some gear that I want to sell which I could trade to fund something, but of course I don't have much time. On the other hand, I already know how my current setup will perform in low-light and I don't like it.

Option 1: Go with my current gear (a77ii and 70-400G)
Option 2: Add an a7ii and a Tamron 150-600: Michael Reichmann apparently was quite happy with the performance of this combo.
Option 3: Get a D810 and a Tamron 150-600
Option 4: Sell lots of gear to fund a D810 and a used 200-400 VR II. Considering the cost involved, I'd rather not make this purchase at this point without thinking it through thoroughly. There are some good deals to be had right now, but still long lenses shouldn't really be an impulse purchase.

It would be great, if there was a Japanese version of Roger and lens rental that caters also to amateurs.

Edited on Feb 23, 2015 at 08:13 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2015 at 04:51 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Help Re Long Lens Setup Needed

Chris_88 wrote:
OK, guys, I need more advice, because I'm on plan B with very little time before my trip (basically one more day and I have to work, too). Probably I missed the fine print hidden somewhere on the website, but that rental company just told me they don't rent expensive gear (e.g. long lenses) to individuals, but only to corporations. The other rental companies in town all seem to have quite complicated registration processes that take multiple days to complete and those that don't, have only cheap gear .

Now, I have some gear that I want to sell which I
...Show more
I would vote option 1. You gain in AF over option 2, but sacrifice some high ISO capability. Best of all you can just get ready for your trip and go. Option 3 take you down a path that I would want to consider more. Good luck and have fun.

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:44 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Help Re Long Lens Setup Needed

Thanks, Steve. I'm strongly leaning towards option 1, too. First, because I really don't like impulse shopping, in particular when it involves trading a lot of gear, acquiring a new camera and switching mounts. Second, I'm really not sure whether I really want to switch mounts from a and e-mount to e-mount plus EF or F mount. I like the D810 very much, but Canon's lens lineup is more appealing than Nikon's.

Feb 23, 2015 at 08:18 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Help Re Long Lens Setup Needed

Another option would be to buy what you need - used - and then sell when you get back.

Feb 23, 2015 at 08:43 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Help Re Long Lens Setup Needed

You have one day to go .. there is no way you should be buying gear for this trip. You have to go with your current gear. The upside is that as you live in Japan so it should not be expensive to fund a second trip and with the experience gained from your trip in 24 hrs, be certain of what is required next time.

Make sure you are well wrapped up. Better to have too much clothing (in layers not thickness) so the cold does not detract, than too little and be unable to focus on the action. Add some of the cheap Chinese chemical heat pads to your gloves/mittens and shoes (they are hard-wearing and will not break).

Good luck, have a great trip and show us the shots on your return !

Feb 23, 2015 at 09:38 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.