New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

Does the 7D2 use the 'same' black rectangle' AF confirmation as the 7D or has Canon added 'red rectangle' confirm back in along with the AF overlay?

I've been reading the 'formal' reviews on the inerweb and 'in-the-field' reports form you wonderful FMers but have not heard a single mention of how the 7D2's AF system presents AF confirmation; with either AF single point or point expansion.

While reading DPReviews 7D2 review, they presented the AF system using 'red rectangles' to represent active AF points with the inactive AF grid/overlay in the background. In actual use, do the AF points flash red when shooting?

As of late a wonderful 7D is being explored but I'm finding it's black rectangle AF to be a pain in lower light. I'm quite use to the old school 'red rectangle' method of the former 1D's and the 40D's AF and greatly enjoy that method. I'm opting for a 6D this spring just because I often shoot in lower lit areas like enclosed gardens, arboretums, backyards with patio covers.

For daytime action, what little I've been able to shoot so far, the 7D is a step up; it's FPS as well, from my 40D, yet I'm hesitating to keep the newer crop body. The 40D files just seem superior for jpegs and RAW, post is much easier within base to 1600 ISO.

It's a simple question but one that will determine my next purchase and what gets sold...

Thanks and Cheers,
Jerry

PS. Eighty-Five percent of my imaging is non-action; arboretums, botanical gardens, home gardens, city/land/seascapes, close-up and macro; flowers n plants and their bits n pieces are my main focus; a flutterby or two when possible. And some low-light evening music recitals or an occasional concert.

The little action I shoot includes the occasional kids soccer match, some surfing and racing of various types, and the occasional flyer; mostly winged things standing/sitting about. I've used a 40D for 7 years for these action subjects with much success and as of late a 1DMk2N and the above mentioned 7D; the 1DMk2N is staying in my kit.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

Mine's at my studio, but I'm almost 100% that it blinks black when it's the active focus point. It's quiet a bit different focusing system versus the original 7d though.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

It has the same AF point display options as the 5D3 and 1DX. I think that is about the same as the 7D. I always use the setting to display the selected point all the time. In that mode in One-shot it blinks red when it achieves focus. It also has the flashing Red square mode that the 1DX got in a FW update in AI-Servo. I don't use that crazy mode...too many seizures.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:47 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

The selected AF point flashes red when AF is achieved, that's not the issue.

The issue is being able to see that little black rectangle while trying to AF in low light.

In some cases, when the AF point flashes red, you are not focused where you wanted because you could not see the black rectangle.

There are work around, but they aren't pretty.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23081.0

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:50 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

Being able to see the black AF points is a problem in dark environments and supposedly gets worse with wider aperture lenses like 1.4 and 1.2. With wide aperture lenses the points are said to be even hard to see in better light as they appear brown. I don't own anything wider than 2.8 so I've not had that problem.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:59 PM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

The 7D2 has the same system as the 1DX where the focus points periodically blink red a couple times a second to help see where the points are when it's dark.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:03 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

scalesusa wrote:
The selected AF point flashes red when AF is achieved, that's not the issue.

The issue is being able to see that little black rectangle while trying to AF in low light.

In some cases, when the AF point flashes red, you are not focused where you wanted because you could not see the black rectangle.

There are work around, but they aren't pretty.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23081.0

Thank you, scaleusa

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM
mr.jboy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D vs 7D Mark II AF confirmation'?'

StillFingerz wrote:
Does the 7D2 use the 'same' black rectangle' AF confirmation as the 7D or has Canon added 'red rectangle' confirm back in along with the AF overlay?

I've been reading the 'formal' reviews on the inerweb and 'in-the-field' reports form you wonderful FMers but have not heard a single mention of how the 7D2's AF system presents AF confirmation; with either AF single point or point expansion.

While reading DPReviews 7D2 review, they presented the AF system using 'red rectangles' to represent active AF points with the inactive AF grid/overlay in the background. In actual use, do the AF points flash red
...Show more

It is amazing to me to see that some people still have/shoot with the 40D, I still have mine (eight years now) and still shoot with it, images are great for a 10 meg pix camera...Up until recently I used it for everything you mentioned including wildlife action with good to excellent results.. That said in November I purchased the 7D, new, and the black AF confirmation rectangles don't seem to bother me... The 7D with is fast FPS rate and the expansion and zone points is much welcomed over the 40D especially for wildlife action shots. The files of the 40D at 800 ISO are cleaner the the 7D at 800 ISO.. For that fact I will not use the 7D in very low light, the 40D barley passes at that level with help in post. Don't get wrong Iam really enjoying the 7D for mostly action stuff..

Feb 19, 2015 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.