FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

aubsxc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

sjms wrote:
you get what you pay for. but then it also depends on how much use you get out of them.

Have you used any plates made by Sunwayphoto?

Apr 07, 2015 at 05:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

Sunway is the closest to quality i have played with. i really don't purchase all that many where it becomes a habit. waiting for Sunway to come out with what i need is usually a month or two behind the actual originators design that they "emulate". they tend to have less consistency in sizing over all that makes them candidates for more the screw type clamp. i use the lever clamp.

Apr 07, 2015 at 06:43 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

I've used a few Desmond brand plates for adapting things like speedlights and other accessories to the A/S quick release system. They're fine for lightweight things, but I wouldn't trust them with a camera or lens. The dovetail sizing varies from plate to plate and the screws are low quality. All of my camera and lens plates are RRS. If you're put off by the price, buy used. I picked up an RRS L-Plate for my D600 used from a large retailer for less than $50 and the plate for my 70-200 zoom was less than $20. I don't see any reason to buy the knock-off plates.

Josh

Apr 07, 2015 at 08:05 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

JoshI wrote:
I don't see any reason to buy the knock-off plates.

Josh

Unless that is all that is reasonably available in your market - remember you are spoilt for choice in the U.S.

Apr 07, 2015 at 08:59 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

I've had a couple desmond plates and QR clamps for various uses, for just a plate they're okay, you'd want to upgrade the screw and really test it out as sample variation can be noticeable, especially if you're using any type of QR clamp. its less of an issue with knob clamps for the most part. I wouldn't buy any of their clamps though, they're pretty low end quality, I don't use them for photography stuff so it didn't matter in my use. They're definitely made from lower grade aluminum than the higher end manufacturers (I've cut/modified plates and mounting setups from different manufacturers including arca, RRS, Sunwayfoto, desmond, and a few others and I can tell a difference in the work ability of the metal itself) the finish, while adequate, also seems to be somewhat less resistant to abrasion.

I like RRS/Kirk/Wimberley for the higher end parts, definitely for things that are model specific such as actual replacement feet or collars as they all tend to have high quality control and low sample variation with things of a very specific use. the materials and finishes they use are also higher end and more resistant to physical or cosmetic damage.

for less expensive and more general use options, I like Hejnar and Sunwayfoto which make good quality pieces at reasonable prices (Chris Hejnar will also make custom parts too, he built me a custom milled clamp for some astronomy work of mine and it was very reasonably priced) both use good materials, have good finishes, and good quality control. I wouldn't have any problem using sunway or hejnar on expensive items (and I have). I think RRS/Kirk have a slight edge in their finish over Hejnar and sunway, not necessarily from a durability standpoint (they all offer good durability), but just cosmetic and feel standpoint at least IMO.

Apr 07, 2015 at 09:28 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

Paul Mo wrote:
Unless that is all that is reasonably available in your market - remember you are spoilt for choice in the U.S.

Seeing as I was answering a question posted by someone living in the US, I don't see how this applies to either the original question or my reply.

Josh

Apr 08, 2015 at 01:22 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

JoshI wrote:
Seeing as I was answering a question posted by someone living in the US, I don't see how this applies to either the original question or my reply.

Josh

Fair enough, remembering it's the Internet - here we broadcast information internationally.

Apr 08, 2015 at 01:30 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

Paul Mo wrote:
Fair enough, remembering it's the Internet - here we broadcast information internationally.

Of course, I'm in that business. But the original question deserves an appropriate response regardless of who might read it consequentially.

Josh

Apr 08, 2015 at 01:36 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

you cannot tell about the material by just looking (unless you are skilled and have a metallurgical microscope - even then some things require being pulled apart to test)

even if the materials are form the exact same chunk of metal (billet) - you might be paying for one company to run inspections or other QC, besides surface finish, engineering, etc.

OTOH, I have them both in use now - they look fine, fit fine and will no doubt do a good job at holding flash units and other flotsam and jetsam.

-------

and - hey! - my apologies to all those materials scientists out there who don't like the old name...

Apr 08, 2015 at 02:31 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

rw11 wrote:
we are talking about a machined piece of metal after all, and likely CNC not human operated - if I still had access to a Bridgeport I'd make some myself

General comments, not on these two particular brands or any of their particular products:

a.) some of them actually aren't. some of these guys waterjet and lie about it

b.) as you know a CNC machine can be run really fast at really loose tolerance. that's the deal with these guys. Really Right Stuff for example their entire business is built around these relatively small-market parts, so they have to make reasonable profits. A lot of the Chinese outfits are contract manufacturers for whom this is a little side gig - they take a couple hours out between jobs, spit out a bunch of these parts, and then sell them for barely any profit. that's on top of the fact that often they're not doing any of the R&D (which of course is where the real cost is). a lot of times these are 3D scanned Really Right Stuff / Kirk / etc products, or even made using the blueprints of stuff they have contracts for (though the latter are usually only sold locally, not imported back here).

rw11 wrote:
even if the materials are form the exact same chunk of metal (billet) - you might be paying for one company to run inspections or other QC, besides surface finish, engineering, etc.

OTOH, I have them both in use now - they look fine, fit fine and will no doubt do a good job at holding flash units and other flotsam and jetsam.

I think the QC is a big part of it too. And that's why a lot of people get confused about the "expensive" brands. "Why should I pay RRS prices when this Fotasy works fine?" Well, you got lucky. There are a lot of a bunch of other people who got a Fotasy that doesn't fit right. Heck, even Really Right Stuff or Arri (I recently got a $250 Arri top handle with an improperly drilled 1/4-20) can't catch every single one that comes out of the mill wrong. The difference is how hard they try.

Apr 16, 2015 at 02:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.