New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

In the past (decades ago) I accumulated a bunch of RRS plates for the Arca-Swiss system. I know Kirk makes them too. Both are pretty spendy, so I found a couple of other brands, Fotopro and Desmond.

Does anyone know anything about the quality or functionality of these brands?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PG7FX6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A117K1DEQYNJIS

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC467SM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LVVI8BYKDX1R

Feb 18, 2015 at 02:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

you get what you pay for. but then it also depends on how much use you get out of them.
some good, some adequate but then there is a relatively large amount of junk.

i look at these as investments in my tooling. i don't have many, just for the cameras and lenses that require their services. i do have 2 "universal" type base plates again those just in case days. when a camera is sold generally the plate goes with it.

items other the tripods and heads
4- dedicated L plates
2- lens foot plates (semi specific)
1- lens foot and reinforced plate mount for specific lens.
1- focus rail
2- "universal" plates

for the money i have invested on RRS, Wimberley and Kirk i still feel it was worth the prices.

Edited on Feb 19, 2015 at 09:00 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2015 at 03:49 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

you often don't get what you pay for and the converse is often true as well

we are talking about a machined piece of metal after all, and likely CNC not human operated - if I still had access to a Bridgeport I'd make some myself

do you have any direct experience with those two brands?

Feb 18, 2015 at 04:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

that is a matter of opinion. and as we all know those vary widely. more often i do though due to base knowledge and my opinionated research.

i just received the Kirk focus rail 2 two days ago. i think i got my monies worth out of it.

i have handled both at Photo Plus in NYC (vendor sales reps showing) and for some they are adequate for others not so much. it a matter of how you value your tools. finish and quality varies widely like an opinion does. i get to see a lot of stuff.

i can also monetize my investments in gear over a moderate amount of time.

Edited on Feb 19, 2015 at 09:02 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2015 at 04:10 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

I've used Sunwayfoto clamps and dedicated plates for a couple years and they're just as durable and secure as my RRS and Kirk clamps and plates. However I like the RRS clamps a little more than Sunway: slightly smoother and larger knob. The Kirks are excellent as well and have a little better finish work than both Sunwayfoto and RRS.

I have a few Desmond plates and they're fine for attaching to audio recorders, small video monitors and LED lights but I wouldn't put a generic plate on a DSLR or lens foot. The plate screws are cheap and I replaced them with stainless hex screws.

Edited on Feb 18, 2015 at 04:28 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2015 at 04:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

"we are talking about a machined piece of metal after all, and likely CNC not human
operated"

many things a made from machined metal.

someone=human (and the someone has some skills)

1- someone designed it (or in many cases rip off or "emulated it")
2- someone had to know how to setup and maintain the machine.
3- someone had to run and monitor the machine.
4- someone had finish and inspect the final product to maintain quality and accuracy (if any).

i have access to such machines with a past history of professional use. i know what my hourly rate is and what i'll deliver in the end. and no i'm not the least bit interested in doing so because my time is better used/spent elsewhere.

it nice to know the respect people have for the art and science of precision machining.

and you do what for a living?

Edited on Feb 19, 2015 at 09:15 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2015 at 04:28 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

I'm a scientist.

Price vs. performance can be objectively measured - and often is, if that is what you mean above.

Thanks, Gochugogi

Feb 18, 2015 at 05:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

only to the relative individual using it. and that's highly unlikely to truly be objective.

Feb 18, 2015 at 05:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

I've had complete satisfaction with Arca-Swiss plates, brackets, rails, feet, and clamps from RRS, Hejnar, Wimberley, and 4th Generation Design. I'm confident that Kirk is good, too. I have no need to explore other suppliers.

Feb 18, 2015 at 06:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

jcolwell wrote:
I've had complete satisfaction with Arca-Swiss plates, brackets, rails, feet, and clamps from RRS, Hejnar, Wimberley, and 4th Generation Design. I'm confident that Kirk is good, too. I have no need to explore other suppliers.

+1. I have numerous Kirk plates/brackets/feet, and a few from RRS, Wimberley and 4th generations. They are all just fine, though some vary in size, weight and shape. I don't buy any cheap or questionable products as my time is more valuable than taking such risks.

EBH

Feb 18, 2015 at 06:32 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

I have a fotopro tripod and plates and they are as good as my Manfrottos and Kirk.
You don't allways get what you pay for as with simple items like plates you pay way more than you get from brand names. It's just a machined piece of aluminum, no reason to overthink it.

Apr 04, 2015 at 08:48 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

I bought one of those junky ones to use with the FE 70-200 which I rent sometimes. It serves the purpose but it is cheaply made, is never "quite right" in terms of fit, but it is adequate and the cost served my purpose. If I owned the lens and used it a lot, I would not hesitate to buy the RRS version.

Apr 04, 2015 at 02:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

dasrocket wrote:
I have a fotopro tripod and plates and they are as good as my Manfrottos and Kirk.
You don't allways get what you pay for as with simple items like plates you pay way more than you get from brand names. It's just a machined piece of aluminum, no reason to overthink it.

everything is made from just a piece of..........

Apr 05, 2015 at 09:36 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

All of my QR plates are of the "whatever was n sale" lineage. All work well, all have stainless steel screws and have been with me for years. Even if the dovetail is off by a few thousandths, the screw clamp will grab it.

Apr 05, 2015 at 02:40 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

...sometimes a plate is just a plate

sjms wrote:
everything is made from just a piece of..........

Apr 05, 2015 at 06:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

sometimes, but not always. it comes from the individuals perspective of things.

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:05 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

...without getting into a long string of back and forth, my comment was specifically to the simplicity of making a plate from one piece of Aluminum.
Simple

Apr 06, 2015 at 07:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

but it isn't depending on wants and needs

Apr 06, 2015 at 07:42 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

For anything expensive, Kirk or RRS for me.

Kent in SD

Apr 06, 2015 at 09:59 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lens Feet - Camera Mounting Plates

rw11 wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the quality or functionality of these brands?

I have several plates and an L-bracket made by Sunwayphoto. The only difference between those made by Sunwayphoto and the ones made by RRS and Kirk is the price, in my opinion. I have also used a big ballhead made by Sunwayphoto that I found to be very well made. I returned it because I went a different route (RRS), but I had no issues with the build quality.

One note of caution: if you are using an RRS clamp with a quick lever, the width of the plate may be a problem with non-RRS plates. I use heads with screw-in clamps so that has not been an issue for me.

Apr 07, 2015 at 05:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.