New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

ogerisg321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

Had a session on Sunday and brought out the 85 and took this wide open.
I'm getting use to shooting with the lens, but 1.2 is a much thinner DOF than I normally use. Thought this picture turned out pretty okay so I thought I'd share.

Eyes are much softer than I would like them to be, but will work on that next time.

Gerome Ogeris Photography

Off Camera

Gerome Ogeris Photography

Processed in LR

Feb 18, 2015 at 02:16 PM
sidefunk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

Nice. Just a few little nits: the white balance has made the whites of her eyes too yellow, the bright spot to the left is distracting and also that little bit of her arm to the left is just something I would usually crop out.

The real positive here is what seems to be her genuine expression.

Feb 18, 2015 at 09:55 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

A nice start, but I think you are falling into the (understandable) trap of trying to invent situations to use your new lens wide open instead of letting the situation dictate the best setting.

Maybe I am alone, but for me the nice bokeh is far outweighed by the negatives of not having her eyes properly sharp. I suspect that stopped down to around F2 you'd still have a very soft background but a lot sharper and better focused details in her face.

Best of luck and only meant to be constructive, thanks for sharing.

Mark

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

sidefunk wrote:
Nice. Just a few little nits: the white balance has made the whites of her eyes too yellow, the bright spot to the left is distracting and also that little bit of her arm to the left is just something I would usually crop out.

The real positive here is what seems to be her genuine expression.

Thanks, I went back and fixed a couple things in the picture. It looks a little better.

---------------------------------------------

lowside67 wrote:
A nice start, but I think you are falling into the (understandable) trap of trying to invent situations to use your new lens wide open instead of letting the situation dictate the best setting.

Maybe I am alone, but for me the nice bokeh is far outweighed by the negatives of not having her eyes properly sharp. I suspect that stopped down to around F2 you'd still have a very soft background but a lot sharper and better focused details in her face.

Best of luck and only meant to be constructive, thanks for sharing.

Mark

I appreciate it, this was actually the only one I took at 1.2 the rest were at f/1.8-2. I just wanted to see what 1.2 looked like in that situation and thought I could get some practice with a person for once instead of household items

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Ccugolf
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

Not sure what the yellow flare is but take that out in PP.
Try to brighten the whites of the eyes, a touch more white.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

Made some edits.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:11 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

ogerisg321 wrote:
Made some edits.

edits are good but I agree with some of the other comments, just because you have f1.2 doesn't mean you have to shoot at f1.2, smaller apertures makes it easier to get the eyes in focus

Feb 21, 2015 at 05:36 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

Good for you, rock that thing at 1.2. May need to take a few extra shots to makebsure you have one in focus but its worth it. I shoot mine wide open all the time for wedding portraits.

Feb 21, 2015 at 09:22 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

IMHO, the edited version has white without sufficient texture. To me, the white shawl of the first image has reasonable texture. This can be fixed in photoshop by a number of different methods. I don't know the details of Lightroom ... although I suspect that it can do the work as well.

If you are shooting the 5D-III with the 85mm 1.2 wide open, you definitely should move the focus point sensor to the position of the eyes. The focus point should sit directly on the lower part of the eyeball ... not the eyebrow, cheek or nose. you should try to ensure the focus point is on the lower part of the eye to avoid the (usually larger) upper eyelash. Even then it is difficult since the size of the focus point is larger than indicated in the viewfinder. Sometimes it is good to use the tiny single point spot af mode for focusing.

I just shot some available light images with that lens today with good results. however, you do have to be very careful about keeping the important parts of the face in the same plane. In this example (100% crop), one eye is in focus an the other is slightly behind the focus point by just a few millimeters. In general, the nearest eye should be the sharp one. For some reason or another, I seem to have the best results with this lens at F1.4 ... the slight extra DOF really makes a difference on facial close ups.

This picture should be sharper ... a higher shutter speed would have been useful (I am not as steady as I used to be )
At F1.2 http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/leto07.jpg
At F1.4 http://pix.tphoto.ca/random/leto08.jpg

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:34 AM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 85L II Wide Open C&C Appreciated

Thanks Tony. I normally shot with the lens at f/2 when doing portrait works, but I figure since I had a model let's see what I can get with it at f/1.2.

Feb 24, 2015 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.