New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

I've been shopping for a used fast & wide angle lens, and am settling on the Nikon 90mm f4.5 SW. At f4.5 it's certainly fast, is multicoated, and reported to be extremely sharp. Sounds like a winner! Here's what I'm having trouble understanding. There are number of these for sale on ebay--it's a popular lens. The ones from U.S. sellers are all over $4oo, $500 even! There are almost as many from Japanese sellers, and most are under $300. Even with $40 shipping, they are a better deal. So, what's up? Is the yen/dollar exchange that good? Are there a lot of Japanese dumping lenses to raise cash? Any reason I shouldn't just buy from a Japanese seller?

Kent in SD

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:56 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

Two23 wrote:
Is the yen/dollar exchange that good?

Without knowing anything about that specific lens - yes! The Yen has lost 50% of it's value against the dollar in the last 2 years.

What used to cost $1 in the US was 80 yen. Now it costs 120 yen - 50% more. Or, to put it the other way around: Something that costs 80 yen used to cost $1 US. Now it cost 80/120 = 2/3 dollar = $.66.

The manufacturers are much, much slower to reduce US prices, because it amounts to "extra" profit for them. Did you see that all of the Nikon USA lens' that used to cost $1,000 are now $666? Not really; they do offer some minor rebates, but no whole-sale reductions.

Which makes grey market/direct import much more attractive right now. It is called "arbitrage." With some risks, but also obvious rewards.

FWIW: In the graph below, the most recent "low" around October 1, 2012 was at about 78 Yen to the dollar. It closed today at 119 yen top the dollar. It has been hovering around 120 yen.

Japan likes the Yen "weak", like now, so that they can export a lo and grow their economy.

Good luck!

Edited on Feb 18, 2015 at 12:24 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

This is what I suspected. I'm looking at ebay auctions from Japanese sellers. They are selling at the going price in Japan. I'm planning on snagging one of these by the end of the week. They are selling for something like $280 WITH a lens board! Compared to what U.S. sellers are wanting this is a steal! I've bought lenses from around the world (mostly 19th century historic) and have had no problem.

Kent in SD

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:18 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

I have done a lot of the same. Sometimes the manufacturers are quite stupid about pricing.

I bough a Mamiya 7II kit in 1998 from the UK. The price was literally 1/2 the cost of buying it in the USA through Mamiya USA. They jacked the price up incredibly, it was absolutely ridiculous. And somehow tried to justify it as "marketing support"? Did they not market in the UK?

I ordered it as an Xmas gift for myself. It arrived 2 days later from Roberts in the UK. Warranty? At that price, I could just buy a second camera as a backup, then ship the first to the UK for repairs. I couldn't think of a better repair solution than a "free" second body!

When I sold it in 2004, I actually gave the eBay high bidder about 25% back as a discount at the end of the auction! That brought me down to about break even. Crazy times, crazy pricing!

FWIW, I just bough a Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS in Nikon mount from WinTokyo on eBay last June for $350. It was "on sale" in the US at the time for $519, marked down about $120 from $639.

I ordered it the same day that I bought a D7100 from Adorama. They both arrived at the same time, 2 days later. Now they are down to $325 new on eBay. I wish we could buy everything that way!

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:36 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

Japan is one of the few foreign countries I would consider making eBay purchases from, and I often do. Shipping is much cheaper and faster than it is from the US or even eastern Canada, and as a Canadian, I don't have to worry about the phoney eBay duty-and-brokerage scams like many sellers in the US and UK are participating in now.

Feb 18, 2015 at 07:59 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

Good luck on the purchase ... let us know how you like it when it comes in.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM
low325
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

purchased a couple lenses from japan sellers. no problems and items were or even better than described...small risk imo.

Feb 18, 2015 at 01:17 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

I bought a 200 f4 macro from japan seller, ebay! lens was perfect, no problem

Feb 18, 2015 at 01:27 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

Just bought an accessory from a seller from Japan. Got it with no issues, he even included some free Japanese tea

I see a lot of mint AI/S lenses being listed from Japan and I would love to try them one of these days.

Feb 18, 2015 at 03:30 PM
Robert E
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

I too as low325 & rick2906 have purchased several mint Ai/S lenses form Japan and have had no problems. Shipped quickly from Japan to Ohio in less than a week, all items were as described or better, with NO import tax.
These were all used lenses so I'm not sure if there is an import tax on new items? Even found that if you email them with a question and an offer, twice I've had the dealers accept a lower than advertised price.

Feb 18, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

Bought my first AI/S lens from a seller in Japan. In fact I've purchased many other items from Japan and had nothing but great experiences.

Feb 18, 2015 at 08:22 PM
happydad

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Lenses From Japan

Joseph. wrote:
Just bought an accessory from a seller from Japan. Got it with no issues, he even included some free Japanese tea

I see a lot of mint AI/S lenses being listed from Japan and I would love to try them one of these days.

Joseph/ Or Dont Shoot I am using a couple of old Ai-s lenses that I got from a Japanese seller. No troubles at all and they were perfect.

Feb 18, 2015 at 08:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.