FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Squarespace vs. Wordpress and SEO

mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Squarespace vs. Wordpress and SEO

Have any of you switched from Wordpress to Squarespace?

If you did, what happened to your site in terms of SEO? Are you happy with Squarespace?

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:35 AM
bayvillian
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Squarespace vs. Wordpress and SEO

I switched over about 5 months ago. Wordpress is a little better as far as backend seo stuff. They have the yoast plugin which is great to use but overall I just find squarespace much cleaner and easier to use. It's great I don't need to resize images prior to uploading. My ranking has been moving up fairly well. You can still use alt tags and keywords.
www.mattstallonephotography.com this site took me about 6 hours start to finish and I'm pretty happy with how it looks.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Guillaume de B

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Squarespace vs. Wordpress and SEO

Just a heads-up, you have a typo on the FAQ page, 'save the sate'.

G

Edited on Feb 18, 2015 at 06:10 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:47 AM
JR Magat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Squarespace vs. Wordpress and SEO

I switched from Wordpress to Squarespace back in 2013 and did see a slight drop in my google rankings (I had some SEO work done while with Wordpress to be on page 1, but slowly dropped to around page 3-4)

However, I was able to get my google ranking back to page 1 with blog posts, keywords, gaining backlinks, etc. for my market in Michigan. I would assume it would be much harder to do in a market like NY.

The biggest reason why I made the switch was for a more user-friendly interface where SS is more 'drag & drop' and easy to customize/update. Also, at the time, I felt SS offered cleaner templates to chose from than WP. But there are a lot of nice WP templates available now - i've seen some just like the SS theme I'm currently using.

Overall I am happy with SS and haven't noticed any drop in inquiries, was able to rebuild my SEO, but I might be hesitant if I were looking to switch currently where I think WP has caught up for design options & if you already have a pretty good SEO google ranking it might be more hassle (than you'd like) to rebuild.

Looking at your website, it looks really nice/clean already, so what benefits are you looking for if you switched? They also offer a 2-week trial to test out a template and get a feel for how SS operates to see how you like it, which i'd recommend

Feb 17, 2015 at 04:56 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Squarespace vs. Wordpress and SEO

Well I really like how easy Squarespace is to use to be honest. I have thought a bit about keeping my blog on wordpress while having the main "storefront" aspect of my website be Squarespace... that way still keeping the SEO advantage of the wordpress site.

Feb 17, 2015 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.