Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5DIII battery life - think mine's an alien!

lloyd709

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DIII battery life - think mine's an alien!

I was reading an article on the 5DIII not related to battery life but it mentioned in passing the 900 or so shots you can expect to get from a fully charged battery. I thought that's strange, I get a lot more than that. I then did a few minutes of internet searching and sure enough the consensus from what I found seems to be around 1000 shots.

Well, I just did a job and shot exactly 2190 frames (I've just checked) shooting highest res JPGs to one card and medium raws to another all on autofocus and still have 2 bars left on my battery - and this is the norm for me. I get about 3K shots out of a fully charged battery when shooting on primes but probably a bit less when shooting with zooms (I don't use IS though).

Have I really got an alien camera (or batteries) or have I missed something?

Edit: And my batteries are about 3 years old - bought a spare one when I purchased the camera about 3 years ago when it first came out and thats it - and use it on average 3 and half days a week making my living.

Edited on Feb 17, 2015 at 04:55 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2015 at 04:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DIII battery life - think mine's an alien!

That's probably about right, it depends a lot how much you use the LCD

I do an awful lot of liveview shooting which cuts the life considerably, but it's still pretty good.

Feb 17, 2015 at 04:54 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DIII battery life - think mine's an alien!

I get loads from mine also .
i dont shoot tons of frames all that often but when I do i have got well over 1500 shots before dropping past 50% battery .

I will note though that as good as the battery life is the drop past 50% has an effect on the FPS and the camera feels more 'Laggy' between frame in a burst . i think the drop is from 6.5 fps (or whatever the top speed is) to around 4.5 fps
so in reality if I can get 1500+ shots from a single batter before I drop to 50% than thats as far as I will take it anyway

Note that when shooting that many frames in a session I'm unlikely to be champagne much let alone using live view and or video . those things will hammer the battery .

maybe its because I don't chimp tons (or do much LV/Video) I've always got way more (over double at least) the quoted max frames from a single battery in my cameras
1 year I bought 2 3rd party batts for my 40D to shoot a 4 day disney (paris) trip . and didn't even dent the bar readout (never that accurate on the 40D i know ) on the first battery .

moto . shoot lots chimp less

Feb 17, 2015 at 05:20 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DIII battery life - think mine's an alien!

Like previously mentioned by others already, constantly turning the LCD on (chimping, live view, video) will drain the battery considerably. IS is another battery drainer.

Also, one shot vs. ai-servo makes a difference as well. Shooting sports, specially when you have the habit of tracking the subject for a few consecutive seconds waiting/anticipating the right moment to take the shots, will also make a substantial difference at the end of the day.

Like Ian, I usually change the battery when it reaches 50% charge, since FPS drops considerably, (unless high FPS is not required obviously).

When they mention 900 to 1000 shots, it's an average considering some chimping, video, IS and ai-servo use.
If you do none of those, then it shouldn't be a surprise to get twice as much out of a battery.

Feb 17, 2015 at 05:48 AM
lloyd709

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DIII battery life - think mine's an alien!

Ahh, so my batteries are normal after all.

And there I was thinking I about putting them on ebay as unique and ever everlasting!!!!!!

Feb 17, 2015 at 06:32 AM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DIII battery life - think mine's an alien!

That's pretty normal if you don't use the LCD. I did an airshow last summer and got 3000-4000 images on a charge.

Feb 17, 2015 at 07:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.