Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

loosh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

Does this mean that the S5 Pro would be a good real estate camera? I am constantly dealing with blown out windows.

Feb 18, 2015 at 09:43 AM
alba63
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

loosh wrote:
Does this mean that the S5 Pro would be a good real estate camera? I am constantly dealing with blown out windows.

Having shot the S3 and S5pro for years, I'd say this is still too much for it. In order to protect the outside of windows, you will probably always tend to underexpose the interior of the houses. It is probably a lot of work, but 2 exposures - one for inside, one for the outside - and then blending in the windows is probably better. Seen the S3 and S5 are roughly 10 years old, the shadows are also not very good to lighten up. 2-2,5 EV max before noise comes in....

Feb 18, 2015 at 09:53 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

alba63 wrote:
Having shot the S3 and S5pro for years, I'd say this is still too much for it. In order to protect the outside of windows, you will probably always tend to underexpose the interior of the houses. It is probably a lot of work, but 2 exposures - one for inside, one for the outside - and then blending in the windows is probably better. Seen the S3 and S5 are roughly 10 years old, the shadows are also not very good to lighten up. 2-2,5 EV max before noise comes in....

No, you don't protect the highlights with the S5. You blow them with reckless abandon. This way you do not need to worry about shadows. At all. Then in post you can recover the highlights, up to 5 stops worth. See the example in this thread.

The only downside to the S5 for real estate is the lack of resolution.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:26 AM
loosh
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

I only need small sizes, 12 mp is more than enough. Think it's worth giving the cam a try?

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:31 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

loosh wrote:
I only need small sizes, 12 mp is more than enough. Think it's worth giving the cam a try?

Why not? If you already have lenses/accessories that work with it, the entry price is next to nothing compared to any newer (current) camera.

I have been thinking about it myself. I've seen them as low as $250 USD in decent shape.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

loosh wrote:

Any APS-C or FF Exmor should be fine for this. Here is a comparison I posted in 2013 of a single-exposure D800 image of a high-DR real estate interior, including a comparison of the same shot using a two-exposure blend:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1217062/5&year=2013#11595031

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

Yea I know, far from good shot.. but it is sunset. Sorry, its from my pre-tripod era.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:58 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

loosh wrote:

It sounds like you're not using any additional indoor support lighting, i.e. strobes, hot lights, etc. The best and most professional way to eliminate "blown out" windows is to expose for the outdoor light coming in, then use additional lighting to light the interior. Easy to suggest ... but complex in execution. See my web site.

- Steve

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

Nice demo. I owned both the S5 Pro and the S2 Pro. Great cameras in many respects, but the wide dynamic range is only good to ISO 800, after which it falls off a cliff and is MUCH worse than any modern camera. If base ISO to ISO 800 is all one needs, then the SuperCCD cameras can still hold their own against a great many newer cameras.

Another caveat: these are not true 12MP cameras. Although Fuji's interpolation technique is quite good, the SuperCCD images are prone to rendering any number of artifacts and other oddities in their 12MP configuration.

The S2 Pro was my favorite of the breed.

- Steve

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

loosh wrote:

Not really, but depends on budget. It was more of "people" camera.

Best for estate is probably anything that can take Canon TS-E lenses, then simply some exposure blends.

Otherwise D810 might be able to do this in one shot too. It has pretty insane DR at ISO 64 and noise floor is.. well on the floor.

S5 Pro is more like 6 mpix camera, those 12 mpix are interpolated and not of greatest quality. Sure it depends for what you need it and if more is really needed or not.

I think interesting choice might be something completely obscure these days. Pentax K-3, cause it can do HDR in RAW. ( http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/YIMGP1962-hdra-2ev-tripod.DNG.HTM )

Not sure about wide-angles for it tho. But it has LV and such, so it shouldnt be that big problem.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

danski0224 wrote:
Why not? If you already have lenses/accessories that work with it, the entry price is next to nothing compared to any newer (current) camera.

I have been thinking about it myself. I've seen them as low as $250 USD in decent shape.

That's a crazy good price for an S5 Pro.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM
taran
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

Good post, thanks for sharing your experiences OP.

/rant on (because I used to own one in a love/hate relationship)

The S5 pro was such a good "idea" for a camera/sensor, but, like all fuji digital cameras, completely useless as a professional platform (post 2007). The camera had unusable RAW's for years after its introduction because software developers needed time to figure out what the hell Fuji was doing. Sound familiar?

For all its bonuses like skin tone, DR, and fuji color... who the eff is going to process 24MB RAF images for a 10mpix equivalent image? Shot to shot buffer is also non-existent when using RAW on this camera, just garbage, you get 3 shots with the fastest CF cards, then be prepared to get a cup of coffee before you take your next shot.

Bumping the in camera dynamic range to 400% via menus and shooting jpg only made this camera more pleasant than its peers (until about 2009), due to SOOC jpgs being the best I have ever seen to this day. JPG also gets you some buffer space so you can actually shoot a series. RAW, however, is not worth it for this camera, just too much work, and ACR does a terrible job (other RAW developers are better). IMHO DR is matched by any modern Sony sensor (you have to expose completely differently, but it is no better/worse).

/rant

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

I believe it was the large pixels which absorbed much light, and the small ones which absorbed less light, resulted in an over- or correctly exposed and an underexposed image, respectively. The underexposed image was used to patch up the information in the highlights.

By the way, there was several SuperCCD variants. The S5 kind was the SuperCCD SR, the only one with the two kinds of pixels.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:54 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

taran wrote:
Good post, thanks for sharing your experiences OP.

/rant on (because I used to own one in a love/hate relationship)

The S5 pro was such a good "idea" for a camera/sensor, but, like all fuji digital cameras, completely useless as a professional platform (post 2007). The camera had unusable RAW's for years after its introduction because software developers needed time to figure out what the hell Fuji was doing. Sound familiar?

For all its bonuses like skin tone, DR, and fuji color... who the eff is going to process 24MB RAF images for a 10mpix equivalent image? Shot to shot buffer is also
...Show more

ACR does an excellent job with S5 Pro RAW files. Try and get 5 stops of highlight recovery with Hyper Utility. You can't. Not even close.

Feb 18, 2015 at 05:14 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · SuperCCD tech demo (or what was S5 Pro about?)

rattymouse wrote:
ACR does an excellent job with S5 Pro RAW files. Try and get 5 stops of highlight recovery with Hyper Utility. You can't. Not even close.

Yep, ACR is suprisingly good (but I really prefer 6 mpix output). That highlight recovery is so good cause ACR is able to reconstruct highlights too. And it can do it rather good (one of best highlight reconstruction I saw so far). So it recovers like 4 stops and if there is something left for 1 stop, it simply reconstructs it as good as it can.

Its doing same for any camera, strangely it works much better with S5 Pro, than any regular Bayer camera..

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.