New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

Doug Maclean
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

I am a Kitchen /Bath/Millwork contractor and pretty much stopped taking shots of Jobs 5 years ago.But have a really cool basement I am doing in a mansion,Bathroom,Giant Bar,Entertainment center.Wainscotted walls.More millwork then most Homes alone.I need a good wide angle lens for my D800e that could be manual or auto focus.Do not want to spend much as I said do not take many interior shots anymore.I am thinking something in the 16mm to 20mm range.All shots will be taken on a tripod.Thanks in advance for any suggestions.Doug M

Feb 16, 2015 at 07:17 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

Doug Maclean wrote:
I am a Kitchen /Bath/Millwork contractor and pretty much stopped taking shots of Jobs 5 years ago.But have a really cool basement I am doing in a mansion,Bathroom,Giant Bar,Entertainment center.Wainscotted walls.More millwork then most Homes alone.I need a good wide angle lens for my D800e that could be manual or auto focus.Do not want to spend much as I said do not take many interior shots anymore.I am thinking something in the 16mm to 20mm range.All shots will be taken on a tripod.Thanks in advance for any suggestions.Doug M

It's pretty tough to beat the new Nikon 20mm f1.8 - you would have to spend a lot of money to get something any better.

Feb 16, 2015 at 07:21 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

You best option would probably be to rent a 14-24mm. It will shine on your D800E, and I think you can rent it for ~$100 for a week.

Feb 16, 2015 at 07:23 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

cambyses wrote:
You best option would probably be to rent a 14-24mm. It will shine on your D800E, and I think you can rent it for ~$100 for a week.

80 for 3 days looks good from borrowlens.Thx

Feb 16, 2015 at 07:54 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

molson wrote:
It's pretty tough to beat the new Nikon 20mm f1.8 - you would have to spend a lot of money to get something any better.

I bought this lens in the fall and just love it! I shoot architectural photography for a living and it is fast becoming my lens of choice. I shot with it on a job tonight. It is sharp as a tack!

I also have the 14-24 and the 24 PC-E.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:13 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

What about the Samyang 14mm 2.8?

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

myboostedgst wrote:
What about the Samyang 14mm 2.8?

Great for astro photography, sucks for anything where straight lines are important.

Why not just use a good wide angle such as a Sigma 35mm f1.4, on tripod, and stitch? I don't see spending big bucks for a pro lens when you are only doing one job.

Kent in SD

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:29 PM
wileycoyote
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

a used Nikon 14 2.8 can be had for $650-850.

perfect for interiors, best i've ever used.

just remember to always keep it level in all directions (to change the view move camera vertical, aka up/dpwn)

it was used on all these images: http://www.bakercountyproperties.com/Sumpter-Residential-Property.html

here's the first image: http://www.bakercountyproperties.com/Sumpter-Res-001.jpg

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

I agree with myboostedgst, the Samyang (Rokinon, Bower, et. al.) 14/2.8 is a great bargain. Adorama has the Nikon mount for $349 new, and you can find them for less used. Great for super wide interiors (you can crop in to narrower angle). Great IQ and sharpness. Amazing for the price. I just picked up a demo for my D800e -- already own one for my Canon system!

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

You can probably pick up a BGN grade wide angle from KEH for under 200, and have a lens to keep for future projects. If you shoot the interior with a tripod at f8 it would be just fine with most lenses. If you intend to use the lens for other projects ten the answer changes.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wide Angle lens suggestion

18-35 AF-d or AF-s....both awesome lenses....my 18-35 af-d is every bit as good as my 17-35 2.8, except at 2.8...it's that good!

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.