FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Help on an image (PP)

Luftwalk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help on an image (PP)

Hi all,

I have the following image in RAW (Nikon D750), but would of course like to do some post processing on it. I feel like I can get a very good shot out of it, but my lack of PP skills is showing here. Can you help me extract the most out of it? With some samples and maybe a description of what you did to it? Thank you.

The RAW is here: NEF file

Thank you for helping.

Feb 16, 2015 at 07:30 AM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help on an image (PP)

I am definitely no expert and being on my work computer I don't have complete access to all my presets, but here's what I came up with. Basically changed the WB, brought down the highlights, and increased the whites and blacks. 2nd one is converted to B&W.

-Blake

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:09 AM
Luftwalk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help on an image (PP)

Hi,

and thank you for the effort. I definitely thought about B&W myself, but somehow feel that colors capture the moment a bit better.

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:18 AM
paulkris
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help on an image (PP)

Interesting picture and thanks for asking us to help. I'll be interested to see what others do. I use LR5. My thought was to work with the rays of light and discard most of the color. I didn't use any presets but mostly adjusted shadow, highlights, clarity and some vignetting.

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:19 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help on an image (PP)

Quick 'n dirty attempt - too bad the sky is so blown

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:45 AM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help on an image (PP)

workerdrone, I like what you did with the tree in the center.

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:49 AM
Luftwalk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help on an image (PP)

@paulkris:
thank you for your attempt, it's definitely a direction I haven't thought of so far

@workerdrone:
thank you as well, unfortunately the sky is quite hard to bring back yes...curious about your attempt though, did you use any filters with it?

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:50 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help on an image (PP)

I converted with DxO, sent to Lightroom, played with sliders, exposure gradient down on sky, brushed the child with saturation and sharpness, slight horizon adjustment and crop.

I don't know that I care about the lost info in the sky but I wished the child was in focus? All subjective...

Feb 16, 2015 at 09:12 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help on an image (PP)

workerdrone wrote:
I converted with DxO, sent to Lightroom, played with sliders, exposure gradient down on sky, brushed the child with saturation and sharpness, slight horizon adjustment and crop.

I don't know that I care about the lost info in the sky but I wished the child was in focus? All subjective...

I think you are better off to let the sky go as it looks fogier. Do what you did and include a layer of the original. Bring out the shadow detail and some yet less of the color to keep it fogy and natural.

At least that is my feeling

Morris

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:26 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help on an image (PP)

The sky being blown is one issue. A bigger issue is that the child is outside of the DOF and thus blurry. Here's my treatment:

http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-7QCDCw6/0/X2/i-7QCDCw6-X2.jpg

Full-Sized Image

Feb 16, 2015 at 02:03 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help on an image (PP)

A rough attempt on the jpg (need to update LR to open the NEF). Excuse the dodgy masking.

Taking some real liberties here! The main difficulty is there is too much going on distracting from the child and eye's route up the road. The melting snow area is very varied and bright so my eye goes there and the dark contrasty right hand tree has the same effect. So... now they are gone:

Even if cloning is too much the crop does a lot for it imo.

Feb 16, 2015 at 03:19 PM
Luftwalk
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help on an image (PP)

@snapsy: I like the crop and the b&w conversion...the reason why my daughter is out of dof is that it was supposed to be a landscape shot, but she got tired of waiting for her daddy to do his thing...3 year olds...

@Mark: I kinda liked the hazy glow on the left side of the photo, which is why I left it there, but I can see what you mean by distracting the eyes..

Feb 16, 2015 at 03:32 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help on an image (PP)

I went in a little different direction, and tried to pull the attention to you daughter and the path. As you can tell, I like contrast

In Lightroom I reduced the shadows and highlights. I then went to CS6 , cropped . Opened up the photo in Perfect Effects 9. Used several of the options including selective contrast ,and glow. Also used polarizer filter in Perfect Effects 9. Played with several of the other options under color enhancer. Back to CS6, used Viveza to selectively darken, add contrast to areas.

Birdie

Edited on Feb 16, 2015 at 09:10 PM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2015 at 05:10 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help on an image (PP)

Camera Standard profile w/ the green channel cranked to the right (both hue and sat). GND filter pulled across the frame with the WB warmed WAY up, highlights cranked up high, contrast up high,shadows boosted a little, and clarity turned way down. A brush boosting shadows/exposure/clarity/saturation down the path; then ran the same brush over the girl a second time to bring her out more.

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:05 PM
newhaven
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help on an image (PP)

I created a new sky using Filter> Render> Difference Clouds and blended it to the blown areas.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/glenngaryglenross/ppshot_web1.jpg

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:40 AM
Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help on an image (PP)

Jason_Brook wrote:
Camera Standard profile w/ the green channel cranked to the right (both hue and sat). GND filter pulled across the frame with the WB warmed WAY up, highlights cranked up high, contrast up high,shadows boosted a little, and clarity turned way down. A brush boosting shadows/exposure/clarity/saturation down the path; then ran the same brush over the girl a second time to bring her out more.

Some good ones here, but Jason's is my favorite. Nice job

Feb 17, 2015 at 01:20 AM
Tubby
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help on an image (PP)

I'll play...............

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZpWsgwz/0/X3/i-ZpWsgwz-X3.jpg

Feb 17, 2015 at 01:37 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help on an image (PP)

Topaz Adjust - HDR dynamic brightness

Exposure6 - Golden hour orange most

Steve Perry’s Web Sharpen 1200

I tried to add a good sky and i tried several things but the fog made it extremely difficult.

(Just realized you posted the NEF as I did this on the jpg.)

Feb 17, 2015 at 06:46 AM
Luftwalk
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help on an image (PP)

Thanks again to all that contributed. What fascinates me is that everyone seems ot have a slightly different view of the photo, which is what I love about photography

Some great examples from everyone and I feel like I've learned a lot from just these samples.

Feb 17, 2015 at 07:41 AM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help on an image (PP)

This is a fun thread, we should do more like this.

Feb 17, 2015 at 07:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.