New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Auto confirm chip

mollusk222

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Auto confirm chip

I am contemplating these optix v6 chips and their overall worth with some vintage lenses I have just acquired. From what I can tell with my 24mm ts-e I I is that auto confirm basically lights up or displays a focus point when you have something in the center of the viewfinder in focus. Is there a way to make this function more dynamic or move the focus point because I'm not sure if it's worth all this trouble to only be able to confirm focus in the dead center. Am I missing something?

For those of you who have chips attached to your adapters, what are the major benefits? Do the chips cause problems or fall off? Are they easy to program?

I'd imagine that the ideal situation would be focus points showing up wherever the contrast/focus is as you adjust focus within the focus point grid but I doubt that is available. (Fingers crossed)

I have a canon 5D mark iii

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:54 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Auto confirm chip

When I shot Canon 5d,only the center was dependable, so I stuck with that for the af chips. I recall being able to move the focus point, but don't know if you can go full grid.

Programming is different for the chips ;some have you press the dof button, others are shutter buttons, etc. I bought the cheaper, but still programmable ones and they were nice as not only could program focal length and max aperture, but also af adjust. Then I was also able to scroll the aperture to get proper exif data, even though that was very slow. Basically you have to scroll the camera ring to the proper aperture (as if shooting with an af lens), meter wide open, then stop down the lens to the same aperture all while holding the AE button.

I never had an af chip fall off or cause issues for me, but I also bought the ones that came on the adapter from the factory.

Feb 16, 2015 at 01:02 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Auto confirm chip

I stuck a dandelion v4 (I think) chip to my samyang 85/1.4 back when I had it. I was using it with a 5D2 and only trusted the center focus point for AF (much like dudewithoutape) so I couldn't tell you if the other focus points worked or not. I am fairly certain I could have selected any focus point because I could do that with my Zeiss 135 back when I owned that.

The dandelion chip was easy to program if you followed the directions, I have no clue about optix v6 having had no experience with it. All of this said, the focus confirm will give you a ballpark estimate of where the focus lies and is no where near as precise as using AF on a lens with autofocus nor as good as live view. It did allow me to get a much better feel for where my focus was and faster than if I had not used it at all.

If I ever go back to manual focus lenses, having a chip on them would be a prerequisite to my purchase. I think some other folks here have different opinions so I hope they chime in to give you a broad perspective on how people have used chipped lenses.

Feb 16, 2015 at 01:11 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Auto confirm chip

I found the af chip was quite accurate after programming the af adjust, something I couldn't do with my old body.

Feb 16, 2015 at 01:51 AM
mollusk222

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Auto confirm chip

Well I guess I'm still having trouble understanding the big picture. Pun intended.

I really like to use alternative brand manual lenses so I guess I'm just hoping there are some perks that I don't yet fully realize exist.

My concerns are as follows

1. Finding focus-
Is there a way with the most current adapter on the 5D mark iii to get a focus confirm signal anywhere else but the dead center? And why not light up the whole grid

2. aperture adjustment in live view-
If I use a vintage lens without a chip the exposure simulator keeps the last aperture used (on a lens with a chip) as the aperture it simulates regardless of how much light you bring in. If I change to movie mode though it will then simulate the light that is hitting the sensor pretty accurately. I would love to get that functionality in normal live view mode. Does having a chip allow you to choose an aperture that corresponds with the one you're using?? Without a chip it just says 0.

Basically I thought the focus confirm is merely reading contrast from the sensor and therefore I actually don't grasp what this micro adjustment stuff is for. Also I'm confused as to what benefits are given to you once the camera knows focal length and aperture range. Sorry for possibly being dense but I haven't yet come across a post that clearly outlines the exact experience one gets while using these chips and the enhanced functionality that supposedly comes with it. So far it still seems very limited.

Feb 16, 2015 at 03:10 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Auto confirm chip

I think the main benefit from using chipped adapters is to identify the lens in EXIF data for later reference. I don't use chipped adapters on any of my many Alt lenses.

Feb 16, 2015 at 08:22 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Auto confirm chip

I found the chipped AF (dandelion) to be a waste of time and inconsistent for my purposes, except as Jim says, for lens identification purposes. Even for ID, not all chips were properly programmable. Not worth the bother IMO. I've gravitated away from "manual everything" Alt lenses, using more OEM AF lenses, or a few from Samyang and Zeiss.

Feb 16, 2015 at 09:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.